When do they stop selling winter gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, I've never really paid much attention to it. Now that I'm getting HORRIBLE gas mileage, I'm a little more interested. Does anybody know when they stop selling the oxygenated winter gas? (if you can call it "gas"
rolleyes.gif
) More specifically, in the NW?

Sometimes April.....some stations may have the better juice already. Try Chevron.

I got 50/50 mix of Chevron reg/premium with a dose of FP. The car runs like a raped ape and the MPG is up from midwinter pissfuel use.

cool.gif
Dunno, the pumps all have stickers on them saying "Special formula of gas from April 15 to Sept. 15." The truck I had before would ping like crazy on the summer gas but was fine in the winter.

All depends on where you live. Around here, we'll switch in April.

And I don't think JohnnyO is off his rocker. Winter oxy fuel is usually used in areas where Carbon Monoxide pollution is a problem. Summer oxy fuel is sold because the law is written in a way that requires oxygenates in the fuel that works to reduce ozone pollution.

So if where JohnnyO lives doesn't have a Carbon Monoxide problem in winter, but does have an ozone problem in the summer, then he gets oxy fuel in the summer!

MN nailed it. Our "trapped" air is winter, so we get the crap fuel Nov-April or so....other parts of the country are different. I think LA gets it 24/7. That would suck.

As noted, I think there are ways to minimize the effect with additives of your own and blending at the pump. Takes some work to find the sweet spot. My intercooled turbo, with mechanical fuel injection (Bosch K-jet), but no knock detector is really sensitive on one hand, but it makes it easier to dial in the fuel with the seat of the pants and ears (especially at 10 psi boost)

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
And I don't think JohnnyO is off his rocker.

cool.gif
Thanks for the backup.
cheers.gif
I will however admit to being off my rocker just on general principles, but I can read what the stickers say on the pumps. RVP fuel they call it. The different mixes for different parts of the country are also a big reason why gas costs more, especially in the summer. The oil companies can't just make up a bunch of gas and send it anywhere.
P.S. The owner's manual for my jetski says to use 87 octane but if you have oxygenated fuel then you should use 89.

[ March 20, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

That more or less confirms what I was thinking. The RVP refers to a test of how easily the gasoline can evaporate. Evaporated gasoline is a major contributor to ozone pollution. Oftentimes during periods of bad pollution, you'll hear health officals asking you to not fill up your car during the day - gasoline evaporates more easily during the heat of the day - and that contributes to the ozone problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back