When Did Tire Rack Become so Expensive?

So the tires on the aunt's Outlander are spent and one of them has a pretty good leak in it, so I was tasked to find a replacement set within a certain budget. I always buy my tires from one place as they have excellent prices and good services. Their online system is pretty good, but you can't look at any reviews. So I just open up Tire Rack and read a little bit about the tires I'm looking at. This is where I noticed how much higher Tire Rack is starting to be. Top screenshot is what all 4 mounted, balanced, and taxed is. Second is just the tires alone from T-R!

o2bRIip.jpg

oF9C7tR.jpg

When did Tire Rack start becoming this expensive? Another example was the 265/70/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's I put on my truck. I got them for $780 out the door whereas T-R just tires alone is $800...

They have always been expensive. or at least for last 10 years.
only way they were remotely in the ballpark was buying a tire and wheel set getting roadforce mount and balance.

My recent michelin xice snow winter tire package would have been 1700 from tirerack. I got it from dtd for 1025 (no tpms though 160$)

Tirebuyer is my recommendation. Tirerack has been expensive, and with DTD buying them out, its only going to get more $$$

2-3yrs ago they seemed to have gotten irrelevant. Same with DTD unless you have local DT tires. It's a shame too IMO.

The only place I can still find tire deals is mail-ordering through walmart.

If you think Tire Rack is expensive, try going to a local brick and mortar store, just make sure you are sitting down when they tell you the price.

Well believe it or not the top picture is a local brick and mortar place. We've been getting tires from them for a while. Fact a friend is getting some Michelin's installed on her S10 there tomorrow. We've bought a couple vehicles from the place as well.

Well believe it or not the top picture is a local brick and mortar place. We've been getting tires from them for a while. Fact a friend is getting some Michelin's installed on her S10 there tomorrow. We've bought a couple vehicles from the place as well.
Stick with them then, it is good to support places like that. I have my local tire shop mount the tires I buy online, but they are more expensive to buy the tires from, by a couple hundred dollars usually. They also don't have the selection the online stores do, but I support them when I can.

Back