New tires and always a balancing issue @ Discount Tire

Ahh, Earl Scheib, boy do I remember that sleazy outfit in San Diego in Mission Valley. I remember his commercials. “I’ll paint any car in any color…” then it was $49.95 and so forth. Of course, they would paint over road debris, flys, and anything else that was on your car. 🤣
I remember 29.95...

I use discount tire for all my tire needs and have for the past 10+years. One thing that I noticed the last 2 sets of tires I purchased was that they never get the balancing done right and I have to come back to get them rebalanced. It happened again this Saturday - I got 4 new tires on 2 vehicles....both driving home had a slight off balance and went back to get them rebalanced. They are correct and smooth now but why do they mess up such an important step of tire installation so often? Anybody else have this problem?

Oh and I got new Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S's on the Grand Cherokee to replace the AT3's on it that delivered outstanding service and 56k miles. The RAM had the same Cooper AT3's but this time I went with the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus. I got good use out the the AT3's on the RAM with 63k miles but just wanted a regular non all terrain this time and didn't want to spend as much. Last year I put the Cooper CS5 Ultra touring on my CTS and they're doing very well so far.
Does your location have alot of turnover? Just a thought. The DT near me has had the same store manager for 10 plus years and a number of the sales people are the same people as well.

Does your location have alot of turnover? Just a thought. The DT near me has had the same store manager for 10 plus years and a number of the sales people are the same people as well.
Sorry, I replied by mistake.

Absolutely they do and all seem to be younger kids working with less experience. I actually changed locations since this post and i have had good service since.

Absolutely they do and all seem to be younger kids working with less experience. I actually changed locations since this post and i have had good service since.
Did the same - started using one in a less populated area and it’s been a better store so far …

When I was in high school my dad had an ongoing problem with his Honda Accord. Smooth as can be at low speeds, idled fine, it was smooth on the highway, but around 30-45 mph it would start vibrating. Badly. Rattle the doors, windows, dash... everything. Power through up to about 50 mph or higher, and it smoothed right out.

It was the transmission.
I'm terribly skeptical of the diagnosis you describe. I'm no mechanical engineer, but I don't believe there is a direct physical connection inside a FWD transaxle that would produce a vibration that would transfer to the drive axles. Longitudinally, no internal transaxle shaft is long enough to create that sort of problem. If I'm wrong about that, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will correct me. In addition, the vibration I have comes from both front AND rear wheels. FWD-only vehicles provide no drive force to the rear wheels, so there you go.

I stand by my earlier posts regarding my personal experience - my original Pirelli's were as smooth as glass. The minute DT replaced them with a newer version of the same tire is when the vibration began. Three re-balances later, for those and each of two subsequent sets of new tires within 3 weeks, including a set of Michelin Defenders, and I still have a vibration issue between 65 and 80 mph. I'm thinking your Dad may have been inadvertantly sucked into an unecessary transmission replacement.

Last edited:
More specifically, it was the torque converter that was prematurely locking and then slipping. It burned up the clutch inside it. I was skeptical myself and had him tell the dealer I wanted the old converter, they put it in a box and it was in the trunk when he brought it home. Saw it with my own two eyes. I've cut open other converters before, this one was shot.

Its been a while but when I was active on an old Toyota forum years ago, someone else there had the same problem.

So there you have it.

Just on the subject of balance (excluding tire quality and road force) - I had two occasions this year where the balance machines at Discount Tire were out of calibration. They told me the machines were calibrated at the beginning of each day. This was at two different locations. The quality of the balance depends greatly on who is doing the work and letting them know your expectations. Some employees were not qualified enough to hold a screwdriver, others were good. I came back so many times that they calibrated the machine right before they did my tires.

It took 13 visits to get one car marginally acceptable and five for the other car. I am not likely to get tires there again, even though I have been a regular customer for quite a few years.

I stopped at a DT once when I was traveling.

They were using Road Force balancers (saw the drum coming down on the tire) but the techs were running around the work bays like a NASCAR pit stop. Looked like they couldn't even spare a moment to blow their noses. Even if the machine alerted about a high RF value, I doubt anyone would break down the tire and rotate it around the rim. Just slap on the weights and ship it!

Mr 59 4cv - I, too, will likely not use Discount Tire again. My distrust of their workmanship began when I bought new tires about three years ago. I watched as one of their kids attempted to lift the car by the molded factory running boards, and I promptly went ballistic!! o_O I've been a regular DT customer for 25 years, but that's ending with my most recent experience. They're very friendly, but problem soving is not their forte'. I was assured at one point that DT did perform a RF balance, although I can't confirm that.

Since I last posted, I had the new Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires balanced (a 4th time) by an independent shop I've used for several years . . . at no charge. That makes 10 balance jobs among three sets of new tires in one month! The service writer, a former GoodYear manager, showed me how the weights were distributed incorrectly on the wheels by DT. I had gone to them to replace two engine mounts, after a different shop told me they were bad. One of the hydraulic mounts (still under warranty) had collapsed, and the strut mount was cracked. I agreed to replace all three hydraulic mounts and the strut mount (at considerable expense), hoping that might help with the vibration. Sadly, it didn't, although I think their tire re-balance did help a little. They checked out the entire vehicle, including the CV axles, but they found no other issues.

Last edited:
I stopped at a DT once when I was traveling.

They were using Road Force balancers (saw the drum coming down on the tire) but the techs were running around the work bays like a NASCAR pit stop. Looked like they couldn't even spare a moment to blow their noses. Even if the machine alerted about a high RF value, I doubt anyone would break down the tire and rotate it around the rim. Just slap on the weights and ship it!
On one return trip to DT, I actually suggested that they pick the tire/wheel that required the most weight, and rotate the tire 180 on the rim. The guy responded, "No, we'll just move that one to the back." :rolleyes: He basically refused to consider my suggestion! He also told me that if a tire is out of balance, I would feel it at ALL speeds, not just above 60 mph. o_O That, friends and neighbors, is simply not true. As I told him, I have bought hundreds of tires during my life, and his claim was utter BS!

Last edited:
Similar experience at a DT. Knicked up brand new Lexus rims during a simple new tire install. Obv. a greenhorn had done the work. They're either paying too much, or too little, to their employees, but it's the customer that always foots the bill.

I remember one of my first jobs as a porter. I always took great pride in driving the car through the car wash, and if there was extra dirt on the wheels after, I would apply wheel cleaner and scrub it myself. Never had a single complaint.

DT can vary in quality due to the number of people work there.
So, the particular person that do the balancing may not be as good or detail as another.
Although, it seems to be a no brainer balancing machine.

Then, there is variation in the machine itself also.

I use discount tire for all my tire needs and have for the past 10+years. One thing that I noticed the last 2 sets of tires I purchased was that they never get the balancing done right and I have to come back to get them rebalanced. It happened again this Saturday - I got 4 new tires on 2 vehicles....both driving home had a slight off balance and went back to get them rebalanced. They are correct and smooth now but why do they mess up such an important step of tire installation so often? Anybody else have this problem?

Oh and I got new Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S's on the Grand Cherokee to replace the AT3's on it that delivered outstanding service and 56k miles. The RAM had the same Cooper AT3's but this time I went with the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus. I got good use out the the AT3's on the RAM with 63k miles but just wanted a regular non all terrain this time and didn't want to spend as much. Last year I put the Cooper CS5 Ultra touring on my CTS and they're doing very well so far.
All my seemed not Balanced properly tires turn out to be Out of Round by a mile.

People seem to be in too much of a hurry to do things right the first time. Could be the case here.
I had A delaminating tire on my 2007 Malibu. Discount balanced all 4 tires said they were O.K.Same problem. Went to my repair shop they said tire was bad, it was. Had to go back to Discount and buy new tire.

Since we're piling on Discount, today is the last time I will ever use them. Never had issues with them before, even brought back a new set of tires and swapped them for something different a few years ago, but today was a mind-changer.

I needed 2 new tires for my wife's car. I brought in the wheels only (don't trust anyone except myself wrenching on the wheels) and watched them dismount the old tires and slap the new ones on. They put the first one on their Hunter machine and I can clearly see that the machine is asking for a dismount and rotate for a better road force. Nope, the tech just throws some weight on them WITHOUT REMOVING THE OLD WEIGHTS. I run out there and ask him if this is right and he mumbles about time and allowances. I asked the manager on duty about this and he says that "I'll never feel anything because it's within spec". I told him that just because you use a Hunter machine doesn't mean it's been properly road-forced.

I left with the 2 loose wheels and tires and drove 20 minutes to an indy shop I've used in the past where I had them properly road force adjust the new tires. I hate driving so far (Discount is only 2 miles from my house) but I guess if I want it done right I'll have to.

Had my new Continental LX 25's installed Tuesday.

My original appointment on the Friday before the holiday turned into a cluster, the tires had not arrived and no one bothered to inform me, even though this was mentioned to them when the appointment was made, that the shipment might be late. He confirmed the possible lateness. Went to my 10:30 appointment unaware that the tires had not arrived. They had the wheels off before anyone noticed they had no tires to install.

On Tuesday the install took 18 minutes. They had four young men working on it at once because they were sorry about the original appointment. FYI I had not mentioned that I was disappointed. So two weeks after ordering I have only driven on them for 3 days. The tire were shipped on FedEX ground from Tire Rack's Miami FL warehouse in the thick of Hurricane Idalia. 4 tires equals two packages. One made it on Saturday. The other lost its shipping label TWICE. That package arrived Tuesday morning and was able to obtain a 2:30 appointment the same day. So far all is well with the tires.

Last edited:
Back