Does anyone have Kumho Solus KR21 tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a set on geo metro this summer. No snow yet, but I am pleased with the tire so far. I will report back when we snow.
These car are known to be bad in snow, so it will be interesting if the kumho's help or not.

I stated earlier that my Kumho's will never reach 80K. I'll be lucky if they reach half that. I rotated them today and at only 14K the fronts are noticeably worn. I had a wheel alignment done when I purchased the tires but I just made an appointment for another. I don't know if it's the tires or the alignment but the wear on the inner edge leads me to believe its the latter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ross
I just put a set on geo metro this summer. No snow yet, but I am pleased with the tire so far. I will report back when we snow.
These car are known to be bad in snow, so it will be interesting if the kumho's help or not.

Well I finally got to test the kr21's in the snow. We had 9 inches last Friday. I must say that these tires do live up to the reviews on tirerack's web site. While a dedicated snow tire would be better, these perform really well in the snow for an all season tire. I really notice the difference on compacted snow and ice.

Sorry it took so long to respond Drew99GT. Drove the car last winter in Pittsburgh and had absolutely no problems. I would definately recommend these tires at the price point.

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
Sorry it took so long to respond Drew99GT. Drove the car last winter in Pittsburgh and had absolutely no problems. I would definately recommend these tires at the price point.

Sounds good; thanks for the response.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I stated earlier that my Kumho's will never reach 80K. I'll be lucky if they reach half that. I rotated them today and at only 14K the fronts are noticeably worn. I had a wheel alignment done when I purchased the tires but I just made an appointment for another. I don't know if it's the tires or the alignment but the wear on the inner edge leads me to believe its the latter.

Yeah, it sounds like you've got other things contributing to your premature tire wear. My KR21s now have almost 30K on them and they still look new. Also, what pressure do you run in your's? I run 35 in mine, which is 5 over the recommended pressure listed on the driver's door. I've found running a slightly higher pressure extends tread life. Your outer tread wear may be due to underinflation as well as an alignment problem.

Originally Posted By: grampi
That's one of the problems with DT, in order for them to price match, it has to be a local tire dealer. They won't price match the Tire Rack. Also, Wal-[censored] charges $12 per tire total for mounting and balancing ($3.50 for mounting, $5.00 for balancing, $1.50 disposal fee, and $2.00 for valve stems).

Not so for me. Last summer, I was looking for replacement tires for daughter's 01 Civic with Avid Touring's on it. Shopped Treadepot (lowest price), who was also offering free shipping at the time. Decided on the new General Altimax HP's and there was a $50.00 rebate Visa Card with purchase, which even DT was advertising at the time.

Figured up as close as I could the price of a Wally World install + Treadepot price for a total price. Went to the store and gave him (manager)a price with (comparable, LT balance and rotation, valves) Wally install. He checked price and details at Treadepot website, accepted my Wally install figs and beat the price by a few bucks. Didn't have the HP's in stock, but had them in store in 48 hrs.

Do your homework, have your figures and it's worth a shot. I could have had the Tires delivered to my door and installed at Wally. But, I'd likely have paid even a tad more to get them at DT. DT service after the sale has been impeccable for me.

I know it was slightly off topic, but buying Kumho's or any tires at DT is tough to beat, IMO.

Update - bought on 9/5/2008 at 57,000 miles, now retiring on 7/16/2009 at 106,000 because they are going bald on the inboard side. That's just short of 50,000 miles on what is advertised as a 65,000 mile tire. You can make your own judgment on that, but I feel like I got my money's worth. I drove them hard and they performed well. I'd buy another set but the company wants me to use its Goodyear national account rather than expensing them from Discount Tire like I did last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back