Kumho KU27 or Nexen N5000? 195/65R15

The Corolla tires (8y old Cooper CS5 with 80k miles) have been on the wear bars for some time. I could run them until the fuzzies show up and get some real traction while I wait for tire prices to come down ... or I could just change them.
I can get the KU27 for $69 and the Nexen for $57 at Wally. Seems like most places start at $90 for non-chinese tires in this size. America's tire is a bust these days, the kids there don't even know how to lift a car properly and they don't clean the hubs any more.
Back to tires, which one of these would you pick?
Edit: snow is not in the cards for the Corolla.

Last edited:
The Kumho LX Platinum KU27 is well-liked on here and a great price :)

Too bad Douglas is out-of-stock. They are some of the best cheap tires.

If you can use summer tires, there's the Nokian Wetproof and the Goodyear Duraplus 2, which claims to be stronger and more durable, in case you drive your Corolla like an Altima :sneaky:

You probably don't care about winter/snow performance, but for those who do, there's the Armstrong Blu-Trac Flex for only $61, a great price for an all-weather tire.

The Kumho LX Platinum KU27 is well-liked on here and a great price :)

Too bad Douglas is out-of-stock. They are some of the best cheap tires.

If you can use summer tires, there's the Nokian Wetproof and the Goodyear Duraplus 2, which claims to be stronger and more durable, in case you drive your Corolla like an Altima :sneaky:

You probably don't care about winter/snow performance, but for those who do, there's the Armstrong Blu-Trac Flex for only $61, a great price for an all-weather tire.
Thanks, my wife primarily drives the Corolla, she's not a bad driver.
Have you ordered form priority tire before?

I got the Kumhos after months of price watching (and trying to score some used ones) then finally bit. Haven't mounted them yet though.

Thanks, my wife primarily drives the Corolla, she's not a bad driver.
Have you ordered form priority tire before?

I have not ordered from them before. In my case, DTD had a Cyber Monday sale on all-weather tires for my car.

Priority tire seems best for summer and winter tires not normally sold in the US. They sell regular US-market tires, but my primary interest in them is the gray-market tires we don't normally get here. Some of those tires are also sold on Simpletire, which is now the second most popular tire site.

Also, Priority Tire also sells on Walmart's marketplace, including both the tires I suggested earlier. Nokian Wetproof and Goodyear Duraplus.

I bought the kuhmo lx platinum from Walmart online for my daughter Elantra same exact size. Great price,nice n quiet, balance perfect,no flats. Excellent in the rain and wore nice with minimal rotations. Got 47k miles out of them probably could of got another 10k didn't hit the wear bars when I removed because winter was coming didn't want to take a chance shes away at college with the car. I also have them on my beater no issues I'm happy.

IMG_20220201_164329011.jpg

IMG_20210910_094735466.jpg

IMG_20210910_094750280.jpg

IMG_20240210_120741720.jpg

The KU27 looks like a regular touring tire with low noise and appropriate for CA weather.
no personal experience but at that price.. I'd go for it.

The Kenda Kenetica KR217 at $58 also looks interesting.

if you want something sportier the

Ironman iMove Gen 2 A/S $69​

Last edited:
The KU27 looks like a regular touring tire with low noise and appropriate for CA weather.

Thanks!

I bought the kuhmo lx platinum from Walmart online for my daughter Elantra same exact size. Great price,nice n quiet, balance perfect,no flats. Excellent in the rain and wore nice with minimal rotations. Got 47k miles out of them probably could of got another 10k didn't hit the wear bars when I removed because winter was coming didn't want to take a chance shes away at college with the car. I also have them on my beater no issues I'm happy.

View attachment 210004

View attachment 210005

View attachment 210006

View attachment 210007
Thanks for the photos! Where are the 195/65R15 made?

Very happy with the KU27's on Sonata since 12/2022. I did have to replace 2 of them last month due to hitting something on the freeway, but their replacements are smooth and drive great as well.

I had a new set of Milestars put on and they were absolutely horrible. They didn't make it a week before replacing them.

What are the chances Walmart won't install these tires (185/65R15 on the sticker of this CE model)?
I've never had tires installed at wally, do they need a car on the work order for lifetime balancing?

View attachment 210004

View attachment 210005

View attachment 210006

View attachment 210007

Have these on our 09 Accord have been great tires without issue.

Have these on the wife's 2020 Camry, wasn't impressed noticeable tread wear in the first 10k miles I don't think we got more than 2-3 years at most out of them.

Overall I was very disappointed in them but we paid $550 for the wife's set since she had low profile rims, these where the cheapest I honestly don't think they last us 30k miles for they where nearly bald and 2 where leaking considerable every other day.

Have these on the wife's 2020 Camry, wasn't impressed noticeable tread wear in the first 10k miles I don't think we got more than 2-3 years at most out of them.

Overall I was very disappointed in them but we paid $550 for the wife's set since she had low profile rims, these where the cheapest I honestly don't think they last us 30k miles for they where nearly bald and 2 where leaking considerable every other day.
Since you quoted me and replied which of the three tires did you actually have I'd assume the kumhos.

Back