Nexen AU7 or General G-Max AS-05

Hello everyone.
My first post, be gentle. :)
I shopped Discount Tire, Tire Plus, Tire Rack, Pep-Boys, Tire Kingdom, my local wholesale club and even the local pop & mom shop. The best offer I could find around here (South Florida) for what I consider decent tires in 225/45/19 is the Nexen AU-7 (around $800 from local warehouse club).
I am looking for a quiet tire but I honestly also want a responsive tire. I don't know if these Nexen are good enough.
Would you consider these good tires?

P.S. I looked at summer tires since it does not snow in South Florida but summer tires are not only more expensive but they wear much faster. Some of them
Is there a decent summer tire I should consider?

Thank you in advance.

This. You may overexpose your tires in FL before you wear them out if you do not drive enough. You may need to replace tires one way or another sooner than you like. Why not have very good performance while doing it?
What vehicle? Do you enjoy driving?

Krzyś

general g max as-05 are much better tires than the nexen. they are almost as good as the top tires in the category for less money. they would serve you very well.

General AS-05 vote here as well, great tires!
Here is from Tirerack as an example of the price expectations:

1682572674341.jpg

As a past owner of the General G-Max-05 A/S, hands down the G-Max. It has been the funnest tire I have had on my car, because of it's steering respose. I just need more total grip at the limit with a different tire in a tuner car then it offers. I have talked to them many times to update their now 8 year old rubber compound to make it even a better tire. But, they can't as it is a mid tier priced tire. It is a fantastic tire for the money, hands down the leader of the two without question. Very quick steering and gives you a lot of confidence of a tire way above it's price point as far as a VERY spirited driving in the corners. It is great in the rain, lots of grip and no surprises breaking lose in the wet and average in the snow.

Last edited:
Thank
Welcome to BITOG 🥳

How many miles do you drive in a year? :unsure:

You should consider the Continental Premium Contact 6
Thank you.
I drive just under 10K per yer.
The Conti Premium Contact 6 are nice but not available in my local club and they are considerably more expensive.
Since you recommended Continentals..do you have any experience with these?

Attachments

• Surecontact_rx.JPG
    Surecontact_rx.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 8
Thank

Thank you.
I drive just under 10K per yer.
The Conti Premium Contact 6 are nice but not available in my local club and they are considerably more expensive.
Since you recommended Continentals..do you have any experience with these?

I don't have experience with summer tires because I live where it gets cold 🥶

I also don't have experience with those SureContacts you mention, either.

Up north, I like to use all-weather tires (3-peak all-season tires) because of snow that you don't get down there. Conti doesn't offer such tires in the US.

All you have to do is go to that Walmart page, and in the sidebar it says "Get Expert Tire Installation" and click on "Find Nearby Store" and then put in your zip code :unsure:

Walmart takes appointments now, so you shouldn't have to wait 4 hours anymore :sneaky:

I wouldn't consider the nexen. I've had 2 different sets of nexens on 2 different vehicles and they were horrible.

Pay a little for a tire if your life, or whoever else is in the car, is worth anything.

Start by posting the year/make/model for a better tire recommendation.

The General and the Surecontact posted looks a good start.

Special closeout may mean older leftovers.
I doubt you can get as good a tire as as-05 at comparable price.
You'll end up with either worse tire at same price or pay considerably more for a comparable quality tire.
We ran the AS-05 on Forte for 2 summer seasons now and they are a great joy to drive on.

As a past owner of the General G-Max-05 A/S, hands down the G-Max. It has been the funnest tire I have had on my car, because of it's steering respose. I just need more total grip at the limit with a different tire in a tuner car then it offers. I have talked to them many times to update their now 8 year old rubber compound to make it even a better tire. But, they can't as it is a mid tier priced tire. It is a fantastic tire for the money, hands down the leader of the two without question. Very quick steering and gives you a lot of confidence of a tire way above it's price point as far as a VERY spirited driving in the corners. It is great in the rain, lots of grip and no surprises breaking lose in the wet and average in the snow.
Thank you.

Hello everyone.
My first post, be gentle. :)
I shopped Discount Tire, Tire Plus, Tire Rack, Pep-Boys, Tire Kingdom, my local wholesale club and even the local pop & mom shop. The best offer I could find around here (South Florida) for what I consider decent tires in 225/45/19 is the Nexen AU-7 (around $800 from local warehouse club).
I am looking for a quiet tire but I honestly also want a responsive tire. I don't know if these Nexen are good enough.
Would you consider these good tires?

P.S. I looked at summer tires since it does not snow in South Florida but summer tires are not only more expensive but they wear much faster. Some of them
Is there a decent summer tire I should consider?

Thank you in advance.
***Update***
I ended up with Sumitomo HTR A/S P03. Not the best tire out there but not the worst either. The deal was too good to pass (thanks to a family friend). $695 including balancing and alignment. Country of origin Japan and manufacture stamp 0723.
Already can feel the tires ride a little "rougher" than stock rubber and are slightly louder. I hope the tires don't turn much louder as they wear out. Will see if gas mileage drops or improves.

Best Regards to everyone.

Back