When Did Tire Rack Become so Expensive?

Stick with them then, it is good to support places like that. I have my local tire shop mount the tires I buy online, but they are more expensive to buy the tires from, by a couple hundred dollars usually. They also don't have the selection the online stores do, but I support them when I can.

This place has a pretty good online section, but can pretty much order anything you want that isn't on their website. Whatever you can select from Tire Rack, they can pretty much get.

I seriously can't believe anyone would go buy tires at a Firestone or Goodyear store. TR used to be my go-to and I still buy from them when I can find a close-out deal on something. But overall DT is beating everyone I know of.... WHEN THEY CAN ACTUALLY PROVIDE THE TIRES THEY HAVE FOR SALE ON THEIR WEBSITE. (Did I say that loudly enough for them to hear?)

2-3yrs ago they seemed to have gotten irrelevant. Same with DTD unless you have local DT tires. It's a shame too IMO.

The only place I can still find tire deals is mail-ordering through walmart.
I agree. In the early 90s I started using Tire Rack because they were less expensive than everyone. That was pre-Internet. They advertised in car magazines and you bought from them over the phone. Shipping was cheap in those days, and they didn't charge sales tax if the tires were shipped to a place where Tire Rack didn't have a physical presence. I bought several set of tires from Tire Rack.

Nowadays I always buy tires at Sam's Club. Their prices are hard to beat, and with my Plus membership I get free mounting/balancing/road hazard.

Reactions: JTK
My last rear tire for my Harley ( Michelin Road Commander 2 ) a couple of years ago was $197.99 shipped from J&P cycles. Today the same tire is $279.99 shipped! It’s not just Tire Rack and not just tires! It seems the world has gone mad! o_O

It's now the same company. Less competition almost always means higher prices

DT's pricing is ridiculous anymore (even during their major sales.)
I can usually get better pricing at an auto dealer, especially during their sales.
I put Pirelli's on my Mustang this year.
DT wanted $192. each.
Went to a local Chrysler dealer.
They wanted $191. each.
With their "Buy 3 get one for $1" promotion, I was at $143.50 each.

DT's pricing is ridiculous anymore (even during their major sales.)
I can usually get better pricing at an auto dealer, especially during their sales.
I put Pirelli's on my Mustang this year.
DT wanted $192. each.
Went to a local Chrysler dealer.
They wanted $191. each.
With their "Buy 3 get one for $1" promotion, I was at $143.50 each.
I reluctantly bought my last tires from Walmart. Buying online and pickup/install in store makes it painless. I even canceled my DT charge card. Their sales are a joke now. It was nice while it lasted.

I seriously can't believe anyone would go buy tires at a Firestone or Goodyear store. TR used to be my go-to and I still buy from them when I can find a close-out deal on something. But overall DT is beating everyone I know of.... WHEN THEY CAN ACTUALLY PROVIDE THE TIRES THEY HAVE FOR SALE ON THEIR WEBSITE. (Did I say that loudly enough for them to hear?)
When I was buying expensive energy savers and they had my size on sale for $85 and had a $250 discount Firestone it was, they still messed up my TPMS

Walmart tire clearance rack has been my goto for 8 years, $25-$50 a tread can’t be beat

I have noticed both Tire Rack and Discount Tire getting much more expensive. Tire Rack has been more expensive for a while now. Discount Tire has recently seemed to have crept prices up and reduced sales since the founder passed away. I recently needed a set of 15" tires for a classic car. For a set of Hankooks, Tire Rack and Discount both wanted 25% more than Walmart.

They have always been expensive. or at least for last 10 years.
only way they were remotely in the ballpark was buying a tire and wheel set getting roadforce mount and balance.

My recent michelin xice snow winter tire package would have been 1700 from tirerack. I got it from dtd for 1025 (no tpms though 160$)
I just checked prices for X-ICE Snow for wife's Q5 (235/60/18). TR and DT are about the same.

I don't know the size you're looking for and for what car it is but i'd look into used tires of, lets say from FB marketplace or eBay

I needed to change tires on my 17 Accord a while back and I shop around Costco was most affordable for good quality tires; however I went to used market and found lightly used great condition '19 Micheline tires for $400 out of pocked with installation and balancing

very pleased with the deal and the tires

I’m looking for tires for my Sonata and they’re definitely pretty pricy for a car with hubcaps.

2-3yrs ago they seemed to have gotten irrelevant. Same with DTD unless you have local DT tires. It's a shame too IMO.

The only place I can still find tire deals is mail-ordering through walmart.
mount, balance by 'another' is so sky hi (they seem to want a piece of ur savings) that it's no longer advantagious. "Free" M, B and alighnment make the individual 4 tire shop-around wasted here. Shame. I all ways thought my work could get rewarded w/savings.

Back