when change oil first time??

hi guys! Just wanted to ask the same question again! Just got a new Acura RDX. was keeping wife Accord forever, but it was totaled. I THINK Acura says leave the new oil in for 5,000 miles. (more moly in the engine assembly?????) I feel a strong tendency to replace sooner if that is right.

do you all agree? I also have a one year old RDX. I tested the mobil one oil, was fine. replaced with Amsoil. will test again.

hope to keep both cars forever!

thank you!

best,

Bob

The only thing certain here is your will get answers ranging from "changing the oil 3 times between now and 5k miles for good insurance" to "leave the factory fill in for the full OCI - the manufactures are already so conservative".

Ultimately you just need to do what you think is best.

Owned many Honda vehicles. I've always left the oil in per the 5,000 mile recommendation. I ASSUME it's because of the high moly content used during assembly which MAY have a positive impact during break-in. I did this with my Ridgeline when new and have continued with 5k intervals ever since. Over 130k miles on it now with zero oil usage.

when change oil first time??​

I remember a few 'first' times in my life. Oil change was at maybe 16.

The first oil change is your automotive rite de passage.

Last edited:
Does manual say anything about changing oil early?

I changed oil for first time at 2,500 on wifes Mazda CX-5, then again at around 6,300 miles. Will change again at 10K and do 5K from there on out. Only reason was I wanted to make sure any teenie tiny assembly/machining stuff was out. Could have just changed filter I suppose. In the end, probably made zero difference. Manually didn't say anything at all about early change.

You will NOT go wrong following the manufactures recommendation. However; if you decide you're smarter than the manufacture, change it when you want. Honda and my MAZDA suggest leaving the factory oil in for a specific number miles. Change too early and you may be flushing out some factory break-in additives which they feel are important. Ed

Back