What's your preferred tire pressure?

My preference is to split the difference between door pressure and the max on the tire. Maybe get a little more life, no real detriments. Also gives me a little more flexibility with regards to the pressure being too low or too high as the season change. In Maryland we can see 32* and 70* in the same week in spring and fall, shoot, sometimes in the same day.

Not able to do this on the Ram since the door states 40 and almost every standard duty tire has a max pressure of 44.

Mine vary based on temperature/season. During the summer I will be normally at door sticker or 1-2 over.

During winter I might be 2-5 over depending on temperature at the time I'm checking and forecasted temperatures. 30 degree predicted drop = 3psi loss so higher accordingly. Add to that kids at school, normal 1psi/month loss so extra 1-2 pounds.

Always checked and adjusted cold after sitting all night, no sun on them yet.

It's a complicated love/hate relationship :LOL: .

About 3 bar (43 psi) for maximum fuel economy and highway use. Michelin energy savers with some life left after nearly 100,000 km (60k miles). Now that i live in a rural area with lots of bad roads i go lower (about 33 to 35 psi). Usually the weight i carry in the car is just one or two people and a spare tire. What i basically do is start at the max pressure written on the fuel door sticker and fine tune depending on how i am currently using the car.

I usually end up 3-5 over the placard, I feel safer with a little extra than a little short. Every vehicle I try to run the posted pressure seems to wander and feel squirmy. The extra 5# makes a noticeable difference in drivability to me.

The tire manufacturers and the automaker know more than I do about the recommended pressure . I use the sticker on the door panel and it's worked out well for me .

Whatever the door card says -- as long as the same size/type as OEM (unless you had a 2000 Explorer -- in which the door card was too low -- been there).

I cannot comprehend the idea of using the maximum pressure printed on the side of the tyre as it must make for a harder ride and more wear on the suspension. I use the door sticker pressure and not a psi more.

My 43 year old motorcycle is not so simple as the sticker pressures are universally agreed to be too low for modern tyres. I moderately increase them and use the 10% rule to check that they don't rise too much when hot which would indicate underinflation when cold. Unlike car tyres I suspect excessive inflation pressure does significantly reduce the contact patch on motorcycle tyres, so I avoid using higher pressures just for good measure.

In BMW manual it says:
Up to 100mph: 32/36
Beyond 100mph: 35/41.

Using second option.

In Tiguan it is 38/38.

If winter and inflating at let’s say 45 degrees, i do 40/40 just to be on the safe side when it gets colder.

Back