What's your preferred tire pressure?

35 all around. Cars are '05, '86 and '63.

The newest are both FWD. Wonder if 35/32 is more appropriate or 38/35 would be better.

If someone has changed their tires....is the placard # still reliable? Isn't that for OEM tires?

Last edited:
Both my Tundra and RX350 needed new tires within 25k miles in spite of the fact that they were kept at the recommended psi, rotated religiously every 5k miles, they were both well within their alignment specs, and neither my wife nor I drive fast or aggressively. Both vehicles showed excessive wear on the edges of their tires first suggesting to me they were underinflated. The Tundra now has a thicker ply tire so I keep those at 40psi (recommended 32/35psi) and the RX350 I keep at 38psi (recommended 33psi). So far much more even wear across all tires for both vehicles.

Both my Tundra and RX350 needed new tires within 25k miles in spite of the fact that they were kept at the recommended psi, rotated religiously every 5k miles, they were both well within their alignment specs, and neither my wife nor I drive fast or aggressively. Both vehicles showed excessive wear on the edges of their tires first suggesting to me they were underinflated. The Tundra now has a thicker ply tire so I keep those at 40psi (recommended 32/35psi) and the RX350 I keep at 38psi (recommended 33psi). So far much more even wear across all tires for both vehicles.
Are they more around town or highway? I have a couple friends that have the same vehicle and tires for both spouses. One works locally, one does longer commute. The one doing local trips with more turns/stop/start gets a lot less miles before being worn out. He keeps all of them 2-3 pounds above door sticker.

Are they more around town or highway? I have a couple friends that have the same vehicle and tires for both spouses. One works locally, one does longer commute. The one doing local trips with more turns/stop/start gets a lot less miles before being worn out. He keeps all of them 2-3 pounds above door sticker.
Mostly town but I'd say "easy town" driving. I'm 50 miles from Boston but really out in the country so it's very few stop signs or stop lights, mostly long sweeping roads with an average of 35-40 mph, with very little stop and go traffic. Neither of us drives aggressively - easy on the throttle and easy on the brakes. That said, the RX350 also needed brakes at 30k miles. My Tundra has 35K miles and still plenty of pad left.

I think the OEM tires on both of those vehicles are also particularly terrible as both started off life without much tread depth.

35-40 for non SUV tyres on every vehicle.
Can you educate me on this, why the difference for non SUV tires?? I have a Pilot and keep them at 35/36 psi. Why the difference for SUV tires? I have Michelin Defenders LTX M/S brand new.

Nitto = 48F / 48R Still looked flat with a max psi or 50 Fail
Nokian = 41F / 45R Didn't look flat, but poor handing on wet roads Fail
Kumho = 43F /45R extremely dangerous on wet roads Double Fail
Next set of tire runflats and yet to know what's best for them.

Nitto = 48F / 48R Still looked flat with a max psi or 50 Fail
Nokian = 41F / 45R Didn't look flat, but poor handing on wet roads Fail
Kumho = 43F /45R extremely dangerous on wet roads Double Fail
Next set of tire runflats and yet to know what's best for them.
Guy... what did the placard call for? How the tire looks is immaterial to how it performs, if you are over-inflating them, which it sounds like you are, they are going to perform like crap.

Guy... what did the placard call for? How the tire looks is immaterial to how it performs, if you are over-inflating them, which it sounds like you are, they are going to perform like crap.
Uncharted Territory 19x8.5 ET40 on a 2020 Transit Connect XL We're going by the tire manufacture specs not the door card.. if we went by the door card the tires would be completely flat..

Auto - 99% is -2 to +2 of capacity plate.

Truck - driving/ hauling -4 to +4
towing - back tires anywhere from capacity plate to full rated pressure

Uncharted Territory 19x8.5 ET40 on a 2020 Transit Connect XL We're going by the tire manufacture specs not the door card.. if we went by the door card the tires would be completely flat..
You should go by the load tables if you are using a non-spec tire, the pressure on the side of the tire is not a guide, it's just the max pressure indicated for the carcass.

OK, so just plugged that vehicle into Tire Rack and I get a P215/55R16 in XL, which, at 41psi, has a load carrying capacity of 1,477lbs (it appears to spec 42psi).

You didn't give me a tire spec, just a rim spec, but if you were matching the OE diameter (25.3") and going with say a 245/35R19 in XL, it's roughly the same load carrying capacity at 41psi. If you've upsized to a P245/40R19 with a higher load index, you are 1,477lbs at 36psi.

OK, so just plugged that vehicle into Tire Rack and I get a P215/55R16 in XL, which, at 41psi, has a load carrying capacity of 1,477lbs (it appears to spec 42psi).

You didn't give me a tire spec, just a rim spec, but if you were matching the OE diameter (25.3") and going with say a 245/35R19 in XL, it's roughly the same load carrying capacity at 41psi. If you've upsized to a P245/40R19 with a higher load index, you are 1,477lbs at 36psi.
When I reported the numbers above, these are numbers which Discount tire set for the tires on my van. In fact they set the rear tires at 47psi and I told them thats too much. the PSI has nothing to do with the context. Moreover it's about the tires Discount tire is installing on the van. 245/40/R19's seems to fit just fine and are load rated to suit the van, the issue is no matter what PSi is in the tires they all look flat or extremely low.

As posted elsewhere on the oil forum, someone said that's what you get for mounting a set of "bro" wheels on your van etc.. In fact these 19'' wheels look respectable and not bro'ish at all. Then add in other sites like Bulter tire in GA have posted images of a 2016 TC with 20''s on that van. These 19's fill out the wheel wells nicely and make it look proportioned correctly. if one was to search other TC's with larger wheels one would see that most list what wheel and not what tires, because they can't find or mount the correct tires on these van.. or the tire they do mount are far below the load rating needed. The van needs at least an 98 load rating. Those other guys put 91-94 load rated tires on the van and we've already experience that with 95's

Otherwise if one has an issue with how Discount Tire is handling this, by all means call them. Had an interesting talk with a rep from bridgestone/firestone Sat he suggested that if we're having an over flex issue with these tires, we should try run flats and that's what we're going to do.

Last edited:
I have seen many lower profile tires that look low to me but when checked are actually good.

I have done the chalk test on some to see if it has even pressure. Very hard to go by the look.

Many people I know with run flats can not wait to get rid of them. The stiffer ride, poor wear, limited choices lead them to replace with non run-flats even if they need different rims.

Back