What’s your favorite work boot?

I wear Justin boots mainly and have a set of Cat boots and I’ve also used Chippewa and Carolina in the past too and like all of them. My parents used to only allow me to get the Brahma at Walmart until they kept falling apart every 3 or 4 weeks. I got the Justin on sale back 2 years ago at Rural King for $139 still my main boot till I outgrow them they are size 12.5 which is what I wear. And I wear the others as backup I got the Cat boots new at a yard sale for $5 couldn’t beat that.

Before I retired, I wore Red Wing steel toed boots. Every employee in the generation facility excepting front office employees were required to wear the approved steel toed boots. There were always a few hot shots that tried to pocket the allowance, but they never got away with that chicanery for very long.

I wear Justin boots mainly and have a set of Cat boots and I’ve also used Chippewa and Carolina in the past too and like all of them. My parents used to only allow me to get the Brahma at Walmart until they kept falling apart every 3 or 4 weeks. I got the Justin on sale back 2 years ago at Rural King for $139 still my main boot till I outgrow them they are size 12.5 which is what I wear. And I wear the others as backup I got the Cat boots new at a yard sale for $5 couldn’t beat that.
I think it’s important to rotate your boots every other day if you can, it really enables the insoles to air out and dry, keeps the leather dry too and allows it to breath a little. Nothing worse than just swamping a boot every single day, really never gives the leather a chance to dry and breath. IMO.

I think it’s important to rotate your boots every other day if you can, it really enables the insoles to air out and dry, keeps the leather dry too and allows it to breath a little. Nothing worse than just swamping a boot every single day, really never gives the leather a chance to dry and breath. IMO.
That is a good idea. I have put some leather conditioner on them at times. I wear the others occasionally but the Justin are the most comfortable ones I got lol.

That is a good idea. I have put some leather conditioner on them at times. I wear the others occasionally but the Justin are the most comfortable ones I got lol.
Yeah I’ve heard of Justin’s, but I’ve never really seen them. I checked out the website, they look pretty good.

One thing I’m careful not to use anymore is mink oil...it just darkens the leather too much and I hear it can soften the leather too much.

Yeah I’ve heard of Justin’s, but I’ve never really seen them. I checked out the website, they look pretty good.

One thing I’m careful not to use anymore is mink oil...it just darkens the leather too much and I hear it can soften the leather too much.
I use Saddle Soap and Leather CPR on mine.

I've had many years of Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis issues.
I've had fourteen different brands trying different styles.
Some lasting a month some a little longer.
I have had comfort at work and home with KEEN brand.
The Coburg at work.Have set a record with over a year so far.
The Austin boot at home.

Everyone’s feet are different.... a lot of the guys at work swear by those flat sole Thorogood boots, but they make my feet and back hurt so bad. My carolina’s were amazing, but I like my Danner Vicious boots way better. Composite toe, super light, water proof and keep my feet warm but not too warm.

Everyone’s feet are different.... a lot of the guys at work swear by those flat sole Thorogood boots, but they make my feet and back hurt so bad. My carolina’s were amazing, but I like my Danner Vicious boots way better. Composite toe, super light, water proof and keep my feet warm but not too warm.
I bought a pair of those Thorogoods in September, returned them within a week. I like the way they look, and they are made in the USA, but depending on what you use them for, the soles can be slick and I found that my heel moved around too much in them. Some of the stitching was falling apart right out of the box, so I returned them and bought a pair of Red Wing Briar oil slick mock toes. Guy at the register said, good choice. But these aren’t exactly work boots either, they’re just as slick and the soles wear out even faster. But man are these nice looking boots. And so comfortable once broken in. But I can’t wear them for work...so I’m on the lookout for something else.

Those Danner Vicious boots look very interesting. Are they heavy?

I bought a pair of those Thorogoods in September, returned them within a week. I like the way they look, and they are made in the USA, but depending on what you use them for, the soles can be slick and I found that my heel moved around too much in them. Some of the stitching was falling apart right out of the box, so I returned them and bought a pair of Red Wing Briar oil slick mock toes. Guy at the register said, good choice. But these aren’t exactly work boots either, they’re just as slick and the soles wear out even faster. But man are these nice looking boots. And so comfortable once broken in. But I can’t wear them for work...so I’m on the lookout for something else.

Those Danner Vicious boots look very interesting. Are they heavy?
No, the Danners are incredibly light in comparison to my Carolinas and even the red wings I had. I avoid actual steel toe boots, they make my feet cold in the winter and take forever to warm back up IMO. When I put them on the first time I was like “oh wow!” and they easily withstand 12+ hours of daily use in a machine shop.

I must confess, these are the only boots I really need these days. :)
20210110_080802.jpg

Well, these and some rubber muck boots for feeding.

Back