Best work boots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions on the most durable work boot.. I've bought boots at nearly all price points and I can never get one to last much over a year. I've heard enough people tell me they've had boots last 2 or 3 years that I am beginning to question whether I'm buying the right ones! I've tried many of the usual suspects-- Wolverine, Ariat, Caterpillar, Timberland Pro, et al. The two best pairs I've ever had were one by a brand name Hytest several years ago that lasted a couple years, but half that time was doing primarily office-type work, so that doesn't quite count. The other is my current pair, Irish Setters which have just crossed the one year mark, but are beginning to show signs of impending doom-- both pairs were around the $175 range.

I'm considering a pair of Red Wings that many of the "yeah my boots last me 3+ years" crowd have recommended. I don't mind spending $200-300 on a pair of boots, but want to have some reasonable level of confidence that they will outlast the other ones I've used by a fair margin. Up until now, Walmart boots (used them when I was younger and had no money) get the "most boot for the buck" award as far as I'm concerned; $35 for 3-4 months before falling to pieces is better math than $175 for one year.

I do metal fabrication for a living-- I burn lots of laces up, but not any harder on boots than most other construction type trades, I would imagine. Need safety toe, waterproof would be nice, no other specific requirements. Currently looking at this boot http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/4215-red-wing-shoes/4215-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown. I've always heard Red Wing boots are made in the USA, I'm finding that not to be the case as more than half the RW models I looked at in the store were made in China, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc. Their cheaper brands (Irish Setter, Worx) are all foreign made.

Any brand favorites out there that you guys have had excellent luck with?

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
I been useing da saem boots i got in gradeschool, wurks like a champ

Reincarnation.

Stop wearing the same pair everyday: buy two pairs, let them dry and the uppers will last a lot longer. Another bonus is that your boots won't stink.

I got a new pair of cheap boots and rotated them with an old pair that was still in good condition. The heel of the cheap ones disintegrated after two years (bad design) and I wore the old ones until the soles wore out. I've never worn the soles out of work boots before, usually they develop holes just forward of the laces where the toe flexes.

You don't need to spend big money on boots, buy a cheap made in USA pair and spend the savings on orthopedics. I got two pairs of made in Canada Terras for around $150 each and sno-sealed them up.

Another tip is to get some paracord and make the laces from that. I think I paid under $20 for 100ft, and the aglets were under $5. If you wax them with sno-seal, they will outlast $10 store laces by a long shot. Unless you use nomex laces for burn resistance or something.

Red Wings for me. I have 2264's and for some stupid reason they stopped making them. Just sent 2 pairs back to get resoled, I just scored 2 pairs of 4417's i LOVE them.
The nice thing about Red Wings is the customer service not to mention free laces, oiling.

On day that I need a safety toe I wear Georgia Boots. That's 90% of the time. The other 10% I wear cheap hiking boots from Big 5. The Georgia Boots are the most comfortable for me and last a few years.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
I been useing da saem boots i got in gradeschool, wurks like a champ

Reincarnation.

Yeah, this is very true

A lot of old threads on this.

I like chippewa; Many of them are still made in the US; I believe their top of the line boot that I would wear is about $300USD; Monetized over the years of trouble free service not a bad investment

A local place has piles of them; ZERO interest in trying to get boots online; I want to try and then buy

Last edited:
Awesome, this thread is turning up some brands that I've never heard of. Keep the suggestions coming, I will definitely check these out.

I have the same Red Wings you referenced in soft toe. They are darn good boots. I have an old pair of Thorogood that I use for yard work. I've tried many of the ones you have listed and of those the Timberland Pro stood out. For comfort and long wear Thorogood, Red Wing, Carolina and Timberland Pro.

My son has about 5 pairs of the red wings, some for work the others for dress. When he comes home they go on his boot dryer for 2 to 3 hours. The clue to owning so many pairs of Red Wings you ask? They have a four day sale once a year in October starts on a Thursday and goes for the weekend. These are seconds but you really have to look hard to find a fault in them. Usual cost is about 60% off of retail. I should also mention Red Wing boots take forever to break in.

My vote for laceups are Timberland Pro PitBoss... i bought two pair back to back and they were as comfortable as tennis shoes.. i abused them but after 2 years had to toss them. Had to be broken in and also put insoles in them to feel like tennis shoes.

My vote for slip ons are Double H ICE series flat toe .. I abuse these in mud, rock and all weather conditions. Very comfortable, waterproof and keep getting better with age. Comfortable right out of the box.

Keen- i have a pair of these also in steel toe that i only wear indoors or when i do not work in mud or water. These i believe i could jog in.. They look like hiking boots.

In summary if i had to stand on concrete all day long without the fear of water or mud the Keens are the best that i have worn. If you need all weather conditions the slip on Roper style boots.

$120 Wolverines... lasted 1.5 years then the sole cracked. Understand they know about this.

Got another set with a composite toe, they didn't breathe worth anything giving me jungle foot. Enough of them!

Now I'm in Keens, which may not be durable-- time will tell-- but they sure are comfortable. Have a nice "stubby" (wide) toe box.

I've also taken to wearing street shoes to and from work then changing there-- less time in 'em, sweating.

When I worked I always wore Georgia Boot steel toe with the wide toe box. Very comfortable. Never had to worry about wearing them out as the company bought me a new pair each year.

Red Wing 3507 toughest most durable boot I've ever wore completely USA made one of the few.

My son likes Timberland Pro steel toe. He tosses them after one year because his company gives him $150 boot allowance every year. He tried Keen and a few other top brands, but says Timberland Pro was the most comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back