Do you rotate your boots?

Ive used a hair dryer to dry them out in the last, but I had to stand there while doing it, and it really sticks the house out too.
I don't have any "good" boots but a few weeks ago, in the dead of our summer, I dried out a pair of shoes by putting next to a dehumidifier that I have running in the basement. The machine kicks out warm-ish air but it's dry, so, it works well, so it was free drying after a rain. Doesn't work in winter of course.

I have recirculating hot water for heat so boots usually get stacked on a register and left overnight to dry.

I don't have any "good" boots but a few weeks ago, in the dead of our summer, I dried out a pair of shoes by putting next to a dehumidifier that I have running in the basement. The machine kicks out warm-ish air but it's dry, so, it works well, so it was free drying after a rain. Doesn't work in winter of course.

I have recirculating hot water for heat so boots usually get stacked on a register and left overnight to dry.
I have a friend that I mountain bike with that dries out all his equipment everyday in the summer by placing them near a dehumidify he has in the basement. The thing that‘s most impressive about it is that he rinses his pads off by throwing them in his inground pool first. The next morning they are completely dry.

I do something similar, but I place mine out in the sun (and sometimes it’s not sunny enough to dry them). When he told me how he fires his, I was shocked. Didn’t realize a dehumidifier was strong enough to do that.

When I used to have forced hot air heat I’d flip my boots over and let them sit overnight on the heater vent, seemed to work pretty well. Now I have forced hot water...never thought of putting my boots on the register, that works? I didn’t think it would because it isn't a dry air flowing through the boot?

When I used to have forced hot air heat I’d flip my boots over and let them sit overnight on the heater vent, seemed to work pretty well. Now I have forced hot water...never thought of putting my boots on the register, that works? I didn’t think it would because it isn't a dry air flowing through the boot?
Works well enough. Boots (and gloves and hats) get warm. In wintertime, the air is dry, so, when it warms up it can hold lots of moisture.

I'm sure airflow would help but if it's got all night, it seems to do the job.

Works well enough. Boots (and gloves and hats) get warm. In wintertime, the air is dry, so, when it warms up it can hold lots of moisture.

I'm sure airflow would help but if it's got all night, it seems to do the job.
Alright, I’ll give it a try this winter!

Do you rotate your boots? I have in the past (if I own two pairs of good boots); I find it allows them to dry out and maintains the sole on them better, plus gives me a different feeling or something (not sure how to describe it. Right now, currently, I’m not rotating my boots, but I do see the value in it if you can afford two pairs.

Some interesting takes on the matter...

I also like boot maintenance techniques...some of which I’ve tried, others I haven’t. I’ve also gone through fazes where I don’t maintain boots at all.

The most interesting thing I’ve read is that each boot will wear a little differently, no matter if it’s the same brand, due to differences in break-in/etc, and this is a benefit - it allows you to have less impact on your body (kind of like rotating tires, except your body is the thing being saved). I get that, I’ve felt that.

Do you rotate your boots? Do you maintain them? Always looking to hear opinions on work boots.

Always a good idea to alternate shoes / boots for many health reasons. foot sweat is full of toxins - there are some toxins that can only be eliminated from ur body via sweat. Stinking boots are very unhealthy, but even more important to change socks sometimes twice a day on a log shift - feels so good too. Smelly boots led to foot fungus etc which is a real nasty problem. A podiatrist and physio both told me to alternate insoles / boots regularly. our feet need rugged alternating pressure points. Walking on concrete all day or these stupid duckwalks proliferating in national parks nowadays is very bad for your feet.
some bicarb soda over night / weekend in ya boots is a good trick to reduce smell.
Our feet are such hardworking parts of our body and the pain we get at the end of the day is a good sign to take notice of.
SnoSeal is a great beeswax product to help keep y a boots dry in the first place - better than dubbin, imho

Always a good idea to alternate shoes / boots for many health reasons. foot sweat is full of toxins - there are some toxins that can only be eliminated from ur body via sweat. Stinking boots are very unhealthy, but even more important to change socks sometimes twice a day on a log shift - feels so good too. Smelly boots led to foot fungus etc which is a real nasty problem. A podiatrist and physio both told me to alternate insoles / boots regularly. our feet need rugged alternating pressure points. Walking on concrete all day or these stupid duckwalks proliferating in national parks nowadays is very bad for your feet.
some bicarb soda over night / weekend in ya boots is a good trick to reduce smell.
Our feet are such hardworking parts of our body and the pain we get at the end of the day is a good sign to take notice of.
SnoSeal is a great beeswax product to help keep y a boots dry in the first place - better than dubbin, imho
This is a big factor for me, alternating pressure points to reduce wear on my legs/feet/hips. It makes a difference for me.

I use SnoSeal in the winter - it’s probably the best waterproofing product I’ve tried - but it also locks in heat (for me), and it causes my feet to sweat even more. I don’t use it in the summer, during the summer I’ll use neats foot oil. Mink is another product I’ll use, but I use it pretty sparingly, maybe every couple of months. If I was working in extremely dry environments (lot of sun, lot of sand or stone dust) I’d treat the leather more often. I pretty much stick to an every 4-6 week regimen.

No timers to break.
IMG_7440.jpeg

Get a sandwich and a drink. Learned lotsa good things about boots working in the shipyard. The pros wore 8" boots and kept a spare pair greased up with socks for rain. 2 pair of wool socks winter and summer. Since I started walking, I have 2 pair of Foot Joy oxfords .They have different laces, so I can keep them paired. Rotated daily. Ankle high leather sneakers. The most comfortable shoe I ever had. They are like walking on pillows with ankle support. I have a resoled pair of Carolina 8" boots that were US made (assembled?) with crepe soles and they're comfortable. I Got a new pair and kept the old ones for rain. :cool:

Last edited:
Back