What’s your favorite work boot?

You put that Vibram sole on yourself!?

Winner winner, chicken dinner! That’s awesome, man.
Yes, I did install the Vibram sole. It helps to have an electric scroll saw, a belt sander, and a drum sander attachment for the drill press. The soles are very thick as you might imagine and are sized huge in all directions, they must be trimmed to fit.

I wear blundstones in the summer now mostly. I need something else for winter though, finally wore out a pair of Dakota 699 after several years. I need something good for walking through wet snow and warm in as cold as minus 20. I had a pair of the green Dunlop rubbers a few years back but only got a year and they cracked in the side.

I was a loyal USA-made Red Wing work boot customer for over 20 years. However, the last few pairs of them all wore out prematurely in the same places; separation of the sole at the toes, and excessive wear in the heels.

I then bought a pair of 8-inch Ariat Hermosa XR boots and am very pleased. They are so comfortable, and for me the soles wear like iron compared to the Red Wings. The price is roughly the same.

I wear blundstones in the summer now mostly. I need something else for winter though, finally wore out a pair of Dakota 699 after several years. I need something good for walking through wet snow and warm in as cold as minus 20. I had a pair of the green Dunlop rubbers a few years back but only got a year and they cracked in the side.
I realized this morning tieing my boots they are Dakota 529 not 699. No idea where I got that from.

I’ve had Redwings. They were good. I wore a hole through the sole. Now I am sporting Keens. As a land surveyor, I do a lot of walking and wanted a boot that performed like a hiking boot. The Keens are more comfortable than my redwings were.

Bought redwings and they seperated @ A seam after a few weeks. Redwing would not cover them so Since I could not use them I threw them away.

Bought some Red back ones about 10 years ago and the tread came off in 2 weeks. They gave me another pair and they did the same thing.
Redwings sole fell apart after one month of lightweight indoor (Lab) work and then they refused to warranty them.

Its great for those who like them but I won't buy Redwings again.

Redwings.

Bummed to hear about problems, may have to re-evaluate.

I’ve had Redwings. They were good. I wore a hole through the sole. Now I am sporting Keens. As a land surveyor, I do a lot of walking and wanted a boot that performed like a hiking boot. The Keens are more comfortable than my redwings were.
I do land surveying also (mostly construction layout). Very hard on the boots. I'm trying to pick out some winter boots now, my old ones are letting all the water from melted snow in, so my feet are soaked every day. You luckily don't have to deal with the snow.

I just bought Royer Arctic Grip boots. Made in Canada. $270 Canadian so probably like $200 US but I don't know if they sell them there. Waterproof and metal free toe. Several people I used to work with swear by Royer boots and buy nothing but them. This is my first pair. Hopefully they hold up. They will be too warm in the summer so I'll have to wear my blundstones then.

They had very little in stock from Redwing because of supply from the US. My choices were pretty limited based on the size of my big feet.

I do land surveying also (mostly construction layout). Very hard on the boots. I'm trying to pick out some winter boots now, my old ones are letting all the water from melted snow in, so my feet are soaked every day. You luckily don't have to deal with the snow.
My Keens are waterproof. I tested them over Christmas fording a creek. Water came up to the ankle and my foot stayed dry. Was impressed.

this is the style I have.

I discovered those inserts ,,about 20 bucks a pair for good ones and they bring worn out boots and shoes back to life,,,inserts the good ones will sa ve you money if your broke and make your old feet feel great..imho

The Keens look good, I’ll have to try a pair one day. Not really suitable for my line of work, although I have seen a few guys with them. But I’ll definitely buy a pair one day for hiking, walking, yard work, etc. Nice looking boots too.

I discovered those inserts ,,about 20 bucks a pair for good ones and they bring worn out boots and shoes back to life,,,inserts the good ones will sa ve you money if your broke and make your old feet feel great..imho
Agree. I try to replace my insoles every 4 months or so (sometimes it does go longer).

I bought a $12 dollar pair from Walmart (heaven duty work boot or something like that). And surprisingly they lasted me a good 4-5 months.

Just bought a pair of Timberland Pro inserts (orange) based off a reviews on YouTube. And I must say, my boots feel very good right now.

I also try to rotate my boots every other day. Keeps them dry, limits some of the abuse and allows the insoles and leather to kind of breath a little. I have a boot warmer at home too, but I very rarely use it anymore ever since I started rotating boots.

Am I the only one that wears Thorogood boots?

Solovair too, but those aren't for work.
I wear Thorogoods all the time. I like the model 814-3266 for working around the house as they have decent tread but a softer sole, if that makes sense, and they break in quick.
Screenshot_20210116-115706_Chrome.jpg

834-6888 was my favorite to wear around the fire station because they had a very good side zipper which made taking them off and on in a hurry easy and the softer sole was better in wet conditions like when washing hose on the apparatus floor which had an almost glass like finish 😳.
Screenshot_20210116-115342_Chrome.jpg

Our fire union has a discount program for them so it made my clothing allotment last longer.
As for firefighting boots I liked Globe products hands down.
Screenshot_20210116-115637_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
When I was working, I always bought Georgia Boot with the wide steel toe box. Great shoe. Company always bought me two pair a year.

I got a pair of these yesterday delivered free from eBay. They are Ariat " Patriot " Work Hogs. Portion of proceeds go to veterans. Ironically they are made in Viet Nam.
l guess that is " China Lite".

Attachments

• 9408EEB8-4ED9-499D-B631-13E87AEAE3F7.jpeg
    9408EEB8-4ED9-499D-B631-13E87AEAE3F7.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 5
Have you ever tried sno seal? It will make your boots waterproof for at least 2-3 weeks. Only problem is that is seals the boots so well that your feet will get hot and sweat. Apply it, then melt it into the leather with a blow drier...it forms a protective shell around the leather that water can’t permeate.

Attachments

• 5C9480C6-92EB-413E-A0B5-90F9CC40036E.jpeg
    5C9480C6-92EB-413E-A0B5-90F9CC40036E.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 4
Have you ever tried sno seal? It will make your boots waterproof for at least 2-3 weeks. Only problem is that is seals the boots so well that your feet will get hot and sweat. Apply it, then melt it into the leather with a blow drier...it forms a protective shell around the leather that water can’t permeate.
Haven't seen it. I'll keep an eye out for it and try it if I can find it.

Back