Bought a new pair of boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the interstates around Austin were barren yesterday (never have gotten anywhere via I35 that fast before!) I went exploring yesterday. Found a Red Wing store.

As a wearer of Iron Rangers I decided to stop by, as I never been in their stores before, just authorized resellers/online shopping. Anyway, I walked out with a pair of their other brand boots, Irish Setters. In particular these https://www.irishsetterboots.com/work-boots/ashby-83605.html?cgid=work

The goods:
Warranty
Comfort
Non-Slip
Oil tanned leather
Aluminum toe (non safety toe also avaliable)
Knowledgeable staff
Lightweight

The bads:
Made in Vietnam (I guess non Red Wing Heritage boots and shoes arent made in USA)

Does anyone on here have experience with the Irish Setter subsidiary of Red Wing? So far I've worn these things all yesterday evening and all day today and my feet feel great! I'm not a fan of safety toe as my job doesnt require them, but they ended up cheaper than the non safety toe with the current text-sale (text boot to 39771)

I'm not endorsing the brand on here, but I've always had luck with regular Red Wings and am wondering if I can expect the same life out of these if anyone has any experience with Irish Setter branded ones (or even their other subsidiary Worx)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Forgot to add photo. These things run wide, it's been along time since I've been able to find a non wide boot that fits comfortably.

Screenshot_20200317-154830_Messenger.jpg

I have wore RW boots since I was able to start loading my dads heavy equipment on the low boys (13 years old). I have seen the IS and WORX boots at RW stores but never had any interest in them. If RW carries them I'm sure they must be okay.
What I like about RW is they will oil your boots and replace the boot laces FREE of charge. They also do minor repairs FREE of charge.
My current RW boots were bought in 2010, a year before my accident and had to retire. They still look brand new. Later on tonight, or tomorrow, I will go in my closet and dig out my RW boots.
BTW, nice boots you have there.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
Let 'em breathe once in a while.

Give 'em a light saddle soaping and/or polish when necessary.

Don't run in the house.

I think I horde mink oil more than motor oil. Boots, holsters, belts, LOL.

I figure once these break in I'll alternate between these and the couple of pairs of Iron Rangers I have.

Im more curious if theyll last as long as my actual made in USA Red Wings have. I have boots that are 4 years old plus that look almost brand new, yet have been worn for years and even resoled.

A good place to buy work boots if your lucky to have one near you is Grainger. Tons of high quality boots and professional staff that waits on you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah I have the Irish Setter Wing-shooters. Similar to the Ashby. I rotate them with a set of Red Wing 415's.

Pretty good boot, super comfortable...not the greatest soles...pretty slippery. That's the biggest complaint with these style boots, the traction. It's just not great. But the comfort is fabulous. I'm closing in on two years with the Irish Setters, pretty durable, put them through a lot of serious abuse.

For weekends I have Red Wing Heritage Moc Toes. Pretty nice boots. Always liked the Iron Rangers. The Ashby's look like nice boots...know plenty of people who have them.

I might give Thorogoods a try next time, but again, whenever you're dealing with the wedge sole, you're dealing with a softer compound and lack of traction.

My work gives out $150 boot vouchers to Red Wing once a year, I've used both their Irish Setters which tend to run around $150 give or take, and their actual Red Wings which hover around $200, sometimes a fair bit more than that. I pay the difference on the more expensive boots.

The Irish Setters are very good boots-- but sadly not as good as the genuine Red Wings. I would compare Irish Setters to the other premium brands you find at Sears, Boot Barn, Farm Stores [Rural King, Tractor Supply, Farm & Fleet, Big R, etc.] and the like. Those brands are usually Chinese / Vietnam made as are the Irish Setters. There is nothing particularly special about them, other than they are a quality, comfortable boot. I work in metal fabrication (pretty severe service I would say) and I got about 13 months out of my Irish Setters before they really started wearing out. I still keep them as a backup pair, but the insole is in poor shape and the leather is brittle and pretty chewed up. I don't think they would last much longer if worn every day. A year is about what I get out of other boot brands I've tried, the ones sold in the aforementioned retail stores.

The Red Wings I have now were my first pair of real Red Wings and they exceed the quality and comfort of the Irish Setters in every way. I bought them last January, so they are going on 14 months. Still plenty of life in them, I expect to get about 2 years, maybe a bit less from these before they are too worn. They waterproofing is still intact, and the leather is still in rather good condition, other than the usual scrapes and gouges. My only gripe about the Red Wings is the material used for the boot sole is terrible for the work that I do. They melt horribly when I step on red hot metal (happens infrequently) and give off a TON of acrid smoke. The Irish Setters performed like actual rubber-- you smell burnt rubber, but the sole never melted like the Red Wings do. If anything gives up on my Red Wings, I suspect it'll be the sole that is first to go. But I think 2 years is a reasonable expectation considering the amount of wear I have on them after 14 months.

So the math works out like this: Irish setters = ~$10 a month, Red Wings = ~$8.33 month

The Red Wings are much more comfortable (for me) than the Irish Setters, felt like the Red Wings were a much more solid crafted boot. The Irish Setters were not uncomfortable by any means. There is a lot of value in the Irish Setter boots, but the Red Wings are a better investment IMO if one can afford them.

FWIW, not all genuine Red Wings are made in the USA, only select styles. I specifically sought out one that was made in USA, I think it cost $230, whereas the foreign ones are closer to the $200 mark. Pretty sure all Irish Setters are imported.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

FWIW, not all genuine Red Wings are made in the USA, only select styles. I specifically sought out one that was made in USA, I think it cost $230, whereas the foreign ones are closer to the $200 mark. Pretty sure all Irish Setters are imported.

Yeah I know that there are also Genuine Red Wings not made in the USA, I noticed that the Irish Setters and Worx were both made overseas, that's what initially made me question the salesman and eventually coming on here and asking for real world experiences.

From what I gather, Red Wing once made Carhartt boots for Carhartt. When the partnership dissolved, the plants Red Wing had for Carhartt became Irish Setter and Worx plants.

The last job I had prior to retiring, my company had the account at the local Red Wing Shoe Store for all of their employees. There were several stores that we could visit depending on where you lived. The company also had the Red Wing Shoe Truck come in twice-a-year for those who lived further distances away.

Englebert Strauss make the best boots I've ever been lucky enough to wear - when you're on your feet all day a comfortable boot is worth its weight in gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back