looking to get a pair of logger boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I'm tough to fit...I need an odd size (11.5) and a wide (EE or EEE depending on brand), which greatly limits selection.

You think that is bad? Try finding 9.5 B. Or A, I forget which my foot size is; heck these Bass slip-on shoes are 8.5 M (medium width?) and my feet slide around in them quite nicely. When I bought my last pair of hiking boots the guy at EMS said if they didn't work out I would need to look at women's boots in order to go narrow enough. I've given up and will likely not buy "high tops" ever again, as they have never laced up properly on my feet (they always cut into the tops of my foot or top of my ankle).

Thankfully I don't need work boots; the last pair I bought 15 years ago are still kicking around (cheapo Timerline?). They refuse to get water-tight though, and might get replaced with Bean boots at some point.

For boots: Red Wing. If they don't have what you need, they will MAKE it! No extra charge, though about a week time lag. A guy I work with had to do this, because he wears a 16EEE.

For sneakers...in my experience, Adidas sizes tend to run narrow.

I used to wear Nike, turns out my wife and I have about the same size foot. Those seem to fit well, at least in running shoes.

Last edited:
Well, I finally had a chance to go shopping yesterday and wound up ordering a pair of red wing 620 loggers. These are soft toe, non thinsulated, not even sure if their water proof, but I work inside 99.9% of the time, so its no big deal for me. I've had Carolina boots before, and their insoles never seem "cushy" enough for me, and their loggers didn't feel any different, so I skipped them. I tryed some wolverine loggers, and while comfy, the leather seemed so much more softer and the construction of them just seemed sloppy in some areas. Saddly, I was hopping to try a pair of chippewas, but since summer is approaching, they are not restocking their chippewas since they only handled their thinsulated models and they didn't have anything in my size to try on. So, I wound up trying to decide between the red wings and timberland's pro series logger. The sole was supper comfy and the boot fit me good, and timberlands have always served me well before, but once broken in, they have always stretched out enough that they become a little sloppy on my foot. Hoping to avoid that, I went with the red wings as the boot itself seemed to conform to my foot just a little better, he insole was just as cushy as the timberlands, and the arch support was awesome. I normally use insoles with extra arch support as I tend to get heel spurs lately, and I think I might be able to do wih out this time. Unfortunately, the redwings I tryed on were steel toe, and after wearing steel toes for years, I wanted try some without this time, but they didn't have my size in the 620s, so its gonna take 2 or 3 weeks for mine to come in. I hope I did ok going with red wings. If I like them enough, I think I'm going to get a pair for outside of work, or maybe go with the timberlands since my wife seemed to like the looks of those better.

Yeah, I know. I would have prefered American made, but I've used timberland pros for the last 7 yrs or so, also made in china, and they have held up well.

Ok, so, just an update after using them everyday at work for almost 3 months. So far, I like my redwings. They are holding up great, broke in fast, and are pretty comfy. About a month, maybe two into wearing them, the insoles lost some of their cushion and the balls of my feet began to hurt by the end of my work day. I got a pair of redwings moldable insoles ( made by Sole) and they have made a huge difference. The rest of the boot is great though. Fits my foot better than anything I've ever had, and the higher heal has really helped my lower back and ankle pain. My back just has a dull ache at times now, probably more from me being over weight than anything. I've also got a pair of Pedag correct heal wedges to help correct the waY I put weight on my foot. All in all, I'm pretty happy with them. Insole wise, they don't compare to the timberland pros, but the boot itself is one of the best I've had. Someday I hope to custom order a pair of wesco's or white's, but it will be a long time before I can afford those.

On a side note, my wife ordered me a pair of Chippewa super loggers for my birthday. I'm super excited to get them. These will be what I wear outside of work.

I wear 8" Wolverine steel-toe in the winter since they're insulated and waterproof and Carolina oxford steel-toe other times...both are very comfortable and light.

I wouldn't work around heavy equipment/heavy trucks/trains/planes without protective hard-toe footwear.

Ah, the annual BITOG boot thread.

Chippewa (not Chippewa International) have always served me well.

I wear 13EEE; unfortunately, you will not find their loggers for $200, they are more like $280.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Ah, the annual BITOG boot thread.

Chippewa (not Chippewa International) have always served me well.

I wear 13EEE; unfortunately, you will not find their loggers for $200, they are more like $280.

the USA made super loggers are what my wife ordered me for my birthday. I'm gonna use those as my everyday boot outside of work, alternating between those and my double h boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back