Whats your favorite rifle?

Henry U.S. Survival
Keep one under the backseat of my Jeep - if I plan an off-road trip I’ll take my .410 Mossberg or a S&W 38 - but if it’s a spontaneous day trip I’ll at least have the little Henry …

IMG_8005.jpeg

Guess if it boiled down to one, it's my Remington 700 short action that has been massaged by some of the best at MCB Q-town. While not the full M40A3, it has the 25" Schneider Match Grade 7.62 on a McMillan Tactical A4. Also has the S&B 3-12 Police Marksman mounted but a Bushnell XLT may go on for more "civilian" work. Unless I need to dispatch anarchists at 1000.

Probably my son's Henry Eagle Scout version presented to him at his Eagle Ceremony. I don't even know if he put any rounds through it yet, it's in a display case currently. He had no clue I bought it for him before it was on the table. His dedication and our memories, well worth it.

His is probably his M1 Garand we bought from CMP, cleaned up and went Orion (20 minutes away) to get checked and some repairs/restorations). That has seen many rounds and fondling.

View attachment 183387
View attachment 183388
that is one hell of an accomplishment......beautiful rifle

10/22

Small enough for a chipmunk and big enough for a whitetail in a survival situation. Small, short, light, dependable and I shoot it well.

I tend to think of my faves in either a WROL or a zombie apocalypse situation. I can go tromping off into a cave carrying a 10/22 and a thousand rounds of ammo much easier than I can go traipsing off with anything bigger than .22 lr

Plus - I have several and a few mags

When I was younger I kind of went overboard and wanted something special. My favorite semi auto, is my U.S.M.C. built M1A, all G.I. parts. The barrel is stamped U.S.M.C. Match to prove it's origin. If I remember what the U.S.M.C. MOS 2112 armorer told me, the barrel is a military match unit turned by a man named Gene Barnett. The gun was built to standards that could win at the Camp Perry National Matches. Too bad I'm not in the same league as the guys that compete up on the lake each year. My favorite bolt action is my M40 Remington 700 in .308 set in a McMillan A3 stock bedded with Devcon Titanium. It was also built by an U.S.M.C. MOS 2112 Armorer. It came with a 26" stainless steel, six groove, fluted, 1:12 twist, heavy barrel, custom 20 MOA clip slotted scope mount and a 3.5lb trigger. It's a beast, weighing in at 17 lbs unloaded.

30-40 Krag made in 1899. It was a U.S. Army rifle. When the Army changed rifles, they sold the Krags to the public. My grandfather somehow ended up with it in the 1920s. He had a ranch and used it for hunting dear and elk. Then It belonged to my father and I remember playing with it when I was a little kid in the 1960s. When I bought a house and got a big gun safe, my dad gave it to me as a home warming gift. I reload ammo for it and shoot it every now and then. It is very accurate, still works like new and looks cool.
did ya ever notice that on Hogan's Heroes Sergeant Shultz carries a Krag and not a Mauser.

Back