Whats your favorite rifle?

Remington .22 single shot model 514. It's the only thing I have left from when I was about 13 or 14. I have a lot of guns but this one is special because of the history and all the fun times my brother and I had out in the fields. I would never sell it.

Well there is so many different types of rifles that I am going to simplify it for hunting purposes for my response.

Ruger American Predator .308 for big game, also in .223 for medium game. They are very solid and very reliable rifles, can't beat them for the money.

I also like Savage Axis II but not as much as the Ruger.

No easy answer:

Favorite to look at and fondle: WWII Garand
Favorite to carry: An old ‘94, in a scabbard, tied to a saddle, in the mountains
Favorite to really use and also play with: Almost any AR

Building/Tuning/Shooting ARs is so much fun, very affordable, and easier to justify. It’s such a gift. The explosion in manufacturers, aftermarket parts, caliber choices, etc. in the last 20** years has really helped renew firearms ownership and interest to a new level. That alone is a big reason to appreciate it.

** It really started about 2003. Check out this chart:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1388010/share-ar-15-united-states-firearm-production-historical/

Best for plinking? Tie

Funnest to hold collector Winchester 9422 XTR

AK until barrel is near glowing and readily smoking is fun but not a good shouldering rifle

Frankly ok my 6.8 SPC AR is so accurate it amazes people. I do like it a lot

I want a Winchester 9422 so bad! Many years ago, when I was deciding which .22lr lever action I wanted to buy, I was shown one at a gun store. At the time, I did not know that it was out of production. I passed, later buying my Browning lever action. Of course I can't find one any longer. I guess if I want one bad enough, I'm going to pay a premium.

Marlin 336 30/30. It wears a Leupold compact 4x scope I got at a gun show in the 90's. Perfect match. I can't take it with me, but I'd like to!

Ironically, I only recently discovered it prefers 150 grain bullets. I've only used 170's since I was a kid. Who knew?
^^^ This - and used the 150’s for a good while …
Liked my M77 - 7MM … but was no longer using it - sold.

I want a Winchester 9422 so bad! Many years ago, when I was deciding which .22lr lever action I wanted to buy, I was shown one at a gun store. At the time, I did not know that it was out of production. I passed, later buying my Browning lever action. Of course I can't find one any longer. I guess if I want one bad enough, I'm going to pay a premium.
When I bought it in the late 1980's - I was pretty ignorant. I wanted a new .22LR lever action. Tube fed. Winchester seemed like a good brand. I bought it. I know it was well under $500. $299??

Never one issue.

30-40 Krag made in 1899. It was a U.S. Army rifle. When the Army changed rifles, they sold the Krags to the public. My grandfather somehow ended up with it in the 1920s. He had a ranch and used it for hunting dear and elk. Then It belonged to my father and I remember playing with it when I was a little kid in the 1960s. When I bought a house and got a big gun safe, my dad gave it to me as a home warming gift. I reload ammo for it and shoot it every now and then. It is very accurate, still works like new and looks cool.

30-40 Krag made in 1899. It was a U.S. Army rifle. When the Army changed rifles, they sold the Krags to the public. My grandfather somehow ended up with it in the 1920s. He had a ranch and used it for hunting dear and elk. Then It belonged to my father and I remember playing with it when I was a little kid in the 1960s. When I bought a house and got a big gun safe, my dad gave it to me as a home warming gift. I reload ammo for it and shoot it every now and then. It is very accurate, still works like new and looks cool.
A great choice.

The Army’s first “smokeless” round. The only foreign design the Army bought as its primary service rifle.

Smoothest bolt of any rifle I own. Coolest loading system. Krag ammo is still made, but not easy to find.

I have 3 Marlin 39a Rifles, probably the best 22 ever made, first made in the early 1890's Marlin made them until acquired by Remington who was never able to produce them due to so much hand fitting. Incredibly well made rifles.

Back