What's your favorite brand of western hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your favorite brand of western hat?

Where I live, western hats are very popular.

Leaving aside the cheap brands, the three top quality, and favorite, brands in my area are:

Stetson
Resistol
Bailey

My personal favorite is the Bailey. I can walk into a store and try all 3 of the above-mentioned brands and only the Bailey immediately fits my head as if it was made for me. I have two felt Baileys and two straw Baileys.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:

Three words to describe cowboy hats...Broke Back Mountain.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:

Three words to describe cowboy hats...Broke Back Mountain.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Sounds like a typical northern Californian. Do you have anything intelligent to say on the subject? Since the only comment that you had was a reference to a movie about gays, does that mean that you're gay?

"Three words to describe cowboy hats...Broke Back Mountain."

The western (or cowboy) hat is a very functional hat, for guys, gals, straights, gays, and everyone else. Its an excellent sun shade for, and keeps the rain and snow off of, your head and shoulders, and keeps the sun out of your eyes. If you wear a felt one, it keeps your upper head warm in cold weather. It will, if made of felt, such as the cool weather hats are made of, serve as a water container or carrier.

I'm not going to get into its other uses. They are well know among westerners who do not live on the California coast. I will say, however, that wearing it will get you a lot more women than the various types of nonfunctional caps that city people wear, usually sideways or backwards, in a pathetic attempt to appear to be "cool".

I still have my hair. I wear little sombreros on my ears for protection.
wink.gif

Why anybody would wear a fur felt hat in the summer heat is beyond me. Get a much cooler straw panama or pork pie hat!

I have a nice Resistol that I've owned for a number of years. I used to wear it in the winter, but the summers are just too hot around here, and I've got out of the habit of wearing it. It needs to be cleaned and blocked. I picked up a nice straw hat at a yard sale a while back for .50 . Looks like it will last awhile.

In 1958 I spent a few weeks in Great Falls Montana, on my way to Calif. In that country, western hats are very functional. Part of your survival gear.

I wished I could wear a western hat. Western boots hurt the heck out of my crippled feet and one without the other looks kind of stupid to me. A stetson just doesn't look right with old man walking shoes and a wal mart polo shirt.

I have resorted to straw golf hats for sun protection and they do not require the use of cowboy boots.

I'm afraid a western hat around here would be a too similar version of "grown man playing dress up". All the biker wannabes drapped head to toe in trendy-davidson clothing have the "grown man playing dress up" market cornered in these parts.

Western hats sure do seem functional though.

I like full brimmed hats much better than baseball hats, especially wearing baseball caps backwards, which seems popular.

I carry a Goretex 'crush boonie' hat in my backpack, have a full brim hat in each vehicle, a waterproofed Pendleton nylon full brim hat for yard work in the rain, a Pendleton (we have a Pendleton outlet store nearby) Panama for the sun (great hat for the sun), and a full brim McAlister oil cloth as my regular wear hat in the rainy season.

Baseball hats seem to make sense when wearing a hood, but for me that's about all.

I'm 20 minutes outside Philly, in S. Jersey. We don't wear those hats around here.
smile.gif

I tend to buy full brimmed hats for function and shade when working outside or on the water. I don't pay much attention to brand or fashion, I want function so they are not neccesarily western in syle. A good straw hat is like an air conditioner for your head. Besides, fashion is for indoors and hats don't belong on your head inside.

I can't wear western boots. I have fat feet. I do have a decent pair of Work Wellingtons that are comfortable, here again, they're too hot for the summer.

For the past few years I have seen an increasing number of people with baseball style caps that have an additional neck flap that also covers the ears. I saw probably a dozen or so of those at a ball game last week (It was Irish Heritage night and Bonds homered -- Giants beat D-Backs
smile.gif
).

As for the backwards baseball caps, weren't they in during the early to mid-'90s? I don't think I've seen a remarkable number of people wear their caps backwards in years.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
For the past few years I have seen an increasing number of people with baseball style caps that have an additional neck flap that also covers the ears.

Those were in in the early 80's
wink.gif

A comeback you say? Fashion gets recycled all over constantly -- which makes attempting to be trendy especially pointless.

I bet Gary Allen knows who said "Pull out your pants pockets. All kids of the future wear their pants inside out."
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back