What's wrong with my Audi A4?

I have a 2020 Audi A4 quattro, 2.0L, TFSI. I change my own oil. Last change was at 10,000 miles with OEM 0W-30 VW 504/507 oil. Current mileage is 19,000. The engine doesn't come with a dipstick, but I found a VW dipstick that would show a full OC about 3mm above the full mark.

Here's the problem. After 9000 miles both the MMI oil monitor and the dipstick show the oil as full. Maybe the level on the dipstick is down 1mm, but no more.

What is wrong with my motor? Why isn't it using more oil?

Did you sniff the oil on the dipstick? I think that's one of those engines that can have fuel dilution problems. Your car came equipped without a dipstick but it has a dipstick tube? Uh, awesome, I guess?

Last edited:
I have a 2020 Audi A4 quattro, 2.0L, TFSI. I change my own oil. Last change was at 10,000 miles with OEM 0W-30 VW 504/507 oil. Current mileage is 19,000. The engine doesn't come with a dipstick, but I found a VW dipstick that would show a full OC about 3mm above the full mark.

Here's the problem. After 9000 miles both the MMI oil monitor and the dipstick show the oil as full. Maybe the level on the dipstick is down 1mm, but no more.

Seriously?

Strange question. I have a Jag with their 2l petrol engine in it. The oil stays beautifully golden and bang on level between oil changes (12,000 miles).

Are you basing this on the fact that Audi 1.4 TFSi engines are known to drink oil? Modern engines really shouldn't use much at all.

On such a new engine, keeping it on boost is important for great compression for the life of the engine.

Don't baby it. If anything, you want something to fail DURING warranty period, not after.

1628778525092.jpg

I think that's one of those engines that can have fuel dilution problems.

No, this engine does not suffer from "fuel dilution problems" in general at all.

Your car came equipped without a dipstick but it has a dipstick tube? Uh, awesome, I guess?

Maybe awesome, but it's well known it does come with a tube. No doubt it's a good thing. BMW engines by contrast are lacking this tube and thus the chance to retrofit a dipstick that easily.

If there's a dipstick tube but no stick do they put a cap over the opening?

Of course yes, there's a simple plastic cap instead.

Last edited:
Umm, excuzze me

Zis is an expertly maczhined, very speczial cap, made viz ze finezt Deutsch engineering and preczizion.

View attachment 66775
Adding the rod to the cap was too costly. Or they are still working on the design. Meanwhile, one could modify the cap with the addition of a length of wire for added functionality. I got a wire coat hanger somewhere that I don't need.

Last edited:
If BMW would have passed on supplying a dipstick to my Mini it wouldn't even make much of a difference. It's the hardest to read I've ever seen. Best to just fill in four liters every 5000-6000 mls (don't forget draining before).

Back