What's with all of the plastic trim on vehicles these days?

Almost every new vehicle has it. It's the dreaded black plastic trim that goes all the way around the bottom of the vehicle. It's bad enough it's got to cover the bottom of the front and rear of the vehicle, under, and sometimes covering the bumper, now it goes all the way down the sides of the vehicles, including around the wheel wells. Why can't they just make the sheet metal of the fenders formed around the wheel wells like they used to. Not only did this look much better, but it held up much better too. The black plastic trim deteriorates over a very short period of time, and it starts taking on a white chalky look, which is difficult, if not impossible to get rid of. Not to mention what goes on under these trim pieces, as far as trapping dirt, road salt, moisture, and other corrosive contaminants. Does anyone know why this trend by the automakers has become so prevalent? I can't help but think it has something to do with bean counters and squeezing every ounce of profit out of each vehicle, though I can't see how using this trim around the wheel wells is more cost effective than just making the sheet metal fenders finish the edges of the wheel wells...

I guess it’s just for looks. I wish they still made cars out of steel and didn’t put those ridiculous plastic pieces on the trim or engine.

Last edited:
Aside from the Honda Element (which isn't produced anymore), what car has obscene amount of black plastic running down the sides of a car these days?

SUV's have the black plastic around the wheel wells and lower bumper trim, because plastic is easier to replace than scratched or chipped paint when owners take it beyond the shopping mall parking lot.

I wish it was 1955 again and vehicles had steel everything, dashboards included, and we had the simple reliable carburetor not fuel infection. We all know vehicles lasted forever back in the good 'ol days, not like now where vehicles cant make it past 100k miles.

In fact our 16 year old vehicle that has never had one single mechanical problem is approaching 95k, time to junk it before those plastic bumpers give out or the plastic engine cover fails and destroys the engine!

-For a new car: CarPro DLux

-For an old car: Solution Finish followed by CarPro DLux.

Repeat every 3-4 years and never worry about faded plastic.

I think deep down we all understand that looks sell cars to 95% of the public and its really only the looks on the new car lot. And reduced weight saves gas for CAFE and plastic is cheaper than steel or carbon fiber. Its a Win Win Win for the manufacturer and if they can convince you that plastic is actually better than steel then add another Win.

It was said many decades ago that the future is in plastics. Plastic is misunderstood quite a bit too. The plastic used to make a child’s toy is not the same as the plastic used to make intake manifolds or trim pieces on automobiles.

The benefits are great. Less weight, less maintenance and corrosion, better impact resistance, what’s not to like?

It was said many decades ago that the future is in plastics. Plastic is misunderstood quite a bit too. The plastic used to make a child’s toy is not the same as the plastic used to make intake manifolds or trim pieces on automobiles.

The benefits are great. Less weight, less maintenance and corrosion, better impact resistance, what’s not to like?
"Plastics make it possible!" (Brought to you by the AdCouncil.)
But in all seriousness- I do not care for them when it traps moisture against the body, such as rocker panel covers.

Yea, the good old days when cars rusted in just a few years.

truck-rust.jpeg

Plastic body cladding would have prevented rocks from chipping the paint and eventually to that rust.

Aside from the Honda Element (which isn't produced anymore), what car has obscene amount of black plastic running down the sides of a car these days?

SUV's have the black plastic around the wheel wells and lower bumper trim, because plastic is easier to replace than scratched or chipped paint when owners take it beyond the shopping mall parking lot.
ANY plastic trim around the wheel wells is ugly and unnecessary.

Back