Is the use of plastic on new vehicles out of control?

How do you feel about the Chevy Avalanche?

I feel this is a trap, pretty sure this forum has rules against the use of certain words :)

Some of the upscale trims look better, but yeah the bottom trims are just bathed in faded/drab black plastic.

I feel this is a trap, pretty sure this forum has rules against the use of certain words :)
Not a trap, sorry, it was intended as a bit of rhetoric… I was never a fan of the Avalanche’s looks, either, but if you don’t like plastic cladding, then that truck is going to provoke quite a response.

Last edited:
Tell me about it! The cooling system in my E36 has only lasted 28 years so far. I’m beyond disappointed.

Seriously? All original?

Don't know about the single-cam versions, but aside from the early M42 profile gasket, and M44 fitting on the rear of the head, the cooling systems on the fours weren't troublesome, unlike on the sixes. The plastic manifold underneath the intake manifold is something that would be convenient to replace if there is other work that makes it accessible, but not something people would pursue unto itself.

A bit odd, considering the designs are similar, and same suppliers using the same materials are responsible for both. And they run the same thermostats, so no hotter or cooler, but more liquid capacity.

Plastics are just a reality and most of the time are no issues.....but then I think of every GM 1.4T that the entre plastics of the cooling system just falls apart or the Land Rover/Jaguar 3.0L plastic coolant leaks and don't forget the infamous GM truck/suv heater hose quick connects at the firewall or the 3.6 Pentastar plastic oil cooler/filter housing.....I could go on but point is plastic can be fine but maybe not in every application is it long term durable.

Don't know about the single-cam versions, but aside from the early M42 profile gasket, and M44 fitting on the rear of the head, the cooling systems on the fours weren't troublesome, unlike on the sixes. The plastic manifold underneath the intake manifold is something that would be convenient to replace if there is other work that makes it accessible, but not something people would pursue unto itself.

A bit odd, considering the designs are similar, and same suppliers using the same materials are responsible for both. And they run the same thermostats, so no hotter or cooler, but more liquid capacity.
Owned M50 &m52 BMWs. They seemed to be rougher on cooling system parts than other vehicles. Radiators, expansion tanks and thermostat housings mostly. Never had a plastic caused catastrophic explosion but they developed leaks after 100k miles or so. Also had some heater hose failures. I think the consensus is the super high psi BMW runs shortens the life of basically everything.

Yes it is. And it is so laughable that all we here about is plastic straws as the bad to the bone item. I say get rid of the mass plastic on cars and things like chainsaws, power tools, all used to be strictly all metal items, even most toys were in the day.
Then they need to make good useful plastic items so they will last way longer like tarps.

The cover under the front bumper and radiator on my Ford Taurus was great. Once piece rugged and durable. The one on my Gen Coupe, I broke two and one replacement came in broke. Way to ridged of plastic in an area that is meant to deform. I replaced it with a piece of corrugated plastic and it's been there for 10 years now.

And when the bumper deforms from a minor bump, the push pins for the fender liners come out, the fender liner ends up getting inhaled by the tire at high speeds. Replaced the push pins with screws and instead of the liner on the bottom like from factory, attach it on the top .

The cover under the front bumper and radiator on my Ford Taurus was great. Once piece rugged and durable. The one on my Gen Coupe, I broke two and one replacement came in broke. Way to ridged of plastic in an area that is meant to deform. I replaced it with a piece of corrugated plastic and it's been there for 10 years now.

And when the bumper deforms from a minor bump, the push pins for the fender liners come out, the fender liner ends up getting inhaled by the tire at high speeds. Replaced the push pins with screws and instead of the liner on the bottom like from factory, attach it on the top .
Push pins are another overused item on modern vehicles. What happened to good ol' fashioned threaded bolts?

Owned M50 &m52 BMWs. They seemed to be rougher on cooling system parts than other vehicles. Radiators, expansion tanks and thermostat housings mostly. Never had a plastic caused catastrophic explosion but they developed leaks after 100k miles or so. Also had some heater hose failures. I think the consensus is the super high psi BMW runs shortens the life of basically everything.

I can't say whether 2 bar is on the higher end of things, but again, the four bangers also ran the same pressures/temps, and didn't suffer like the sixes.

Nor do I recall the M44's plastic integrated thermostat housing being an issue vs. the ones some of the larger engines got as OE.

Whatever the reasons, some of the aftermarket attempts to address the foibles were pretty crude in form, if perhaps not function, like the metal water pump impellers.

What kind of hose clamps they using for 2bar pressure?

Worm drive. Very similar to those from the various Norma group brands, so they're probably the OEM.

Predominant type in the cars up to the late 90s, large and small, until the cooling system hoses switched to plastic interlocking fittings.

The power steering reservoirs (and rack boots) had Oetiker clamps, which could seep and leak as they aged. Replaced with worm clamp and no issues afterward.

Can't think of any instances of spring clamps, at least in the older models.

Where I've touched the fuel system, I switched to the fullly smooth band nut/bolt clamps from ABA, which are much nicer for the smaller diamters (8 x 13mm fuel hose).

I can't say whether 2 bar is on the higher end of things, but again, the four bangers also ran the same pressures/temps, and didn't suffer like the sixes.

Nor do I recall the M44's plastic integrated thermostat housing being an issue vs. the ones some of the larger engines got as OE.

Whatever the reasons, some of the aftermarket attempts to address the foibles were pretty crude in form, if perhaps not function, like the metal water pump impellers.
Agreed the garbage cast aluminum thermostat housings were even worse. When I replaced my waterpump I went with a BMW "plastic" impeller and never had an issue. The BMW stuff did not have issues if replaced at 100k intervals.

I said I agree with the poster who said it's a cost cutting measure. I'm sure that's not the only reason they're used, but when their use does save money, it would be nice if that savings was passed along to the consumer...especially considering how high the costs of new vehicles have gotten...
I found 2018 Tiguan wife has to be cheaper then Forester and CRV, RAV4 at time while offering way more amenities(CarPlay larger screen, heated seats), safety equipment(auto braking, blind spot detection , rear backup collision warning) and nicer interior. Savings were passed….

Volkswagens in the past 14 years are not really engineered to last for decades. The 2.5 was probably the last/best engine. Their sales reflect this reality.
Their sales are way up it once they flipped to serious efforts in SUVs like Tiguan, Taos, Atlas recently. They had no decent sales numbers until 2018 when they offered competitive mainstream SUVs.

Worm drive. Very similar to those from the various Norma group brands, so they're probably the OEM.

Predominant type in the cars up to the late 90s, large and small, until the cooling system hoses switched to plastic interlocking fittings.

The power steering reservoirs (and rack boots) had Oetiker clamps, which could seep and leak as they aged. Replaced with worm clamp and no issues afterward.

Can't think of any instances of spring clamps, at least in the older models.

Where I've touched the fuel system, I switched to the fullly smooth band nut/bolt clamps from ABA, which are much nicer for the smaller diamters (8 x 13mm fuel hose).
Ford used those Norma style clamps on their intake runner connector hoses.

Back