What’s this grey/silver swirl in my oil?

The oil that's on the filter is far less likely to have metal in it. I'm talking about this area right here, do you have a syringe you could suck it up with and deposit it on a coffee filter:

Wow.jpg

Will 100 miles on the oil, will they even find anything with a UOA?
If there is something to find, then yes. If there isn't then no.

I'm still stuck on the reason for this whole "wait" thing when it's to discover something you're visually observing, not a general trend. Either you're seeing something significant or you aren't. Again you're looking for a defect not trends.

The oil that's on the filter is far less likely to have metal in it. I'm talking about this area right here, do you have a syringe you could suck it up with and deposit it on a coffee filter:

View attachment 33856
Nada, nothing in the coffee filter. I’ll just wait until my next oil change and send out a UOA. At this point, I highly doubt its metal. It's probably moisture because I haven't driven the car since last week.
F47A16ED-31CD-412C-8E0C-97223951100A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, I've got an idea. Put some of that stuff in a small clear glass jar and let it sit. If it's air it will just disappear, if it's something else, it should settle on the bottom.

I never understood this paranoia.

So let's say its metal. Then what? Are you going to proactively pull and rebuild the engine? If it has good oil pressure and runs fine... Why?

Just stick to normal maintenance routines and drive the car until something actually goes wrong.

I never understood this paranoia.

So let's say its metal. Then what? Are you going to proactively pull and rebuild the engine? If it has good oil pressure and runs fine... Why?

Just stick to normal maintenance routines and drive the car until something actually goes wrong.
BMW owner paranoia 😭

Finally found out what that swirly grey stuff is. I spoke to someone else that had the same exact issues as me. He told me it's aluminum shaving from the oil filter housing threads. Every time you tight the oil filter cap, it slightly shaves a little off the threads and goes into the oil. That's why when you take the oil filter cap off, you see it but then it dissapers.

Lmao I figured it out bro. It’s the threads from the oil filter housing. Everytime you thread the cap on, it flakes a little of the oil filter housing thread which mixes into the oil. The oil filter housing is made of aluminum and the Oil filter cap is made out of plastic.
Seriously? A plastic cap is made to that close/tight of a tolerance to shave the aluminum? Sounds like a TSB to me.

Seriously? A plastic cap is made to that close/tight of a tolerance to shave the aluminum? Sounds like a TSB to me.
Apparently, I spoke to a guy that had the same exact issues and he told me it’s the oil filter housing threads that shave off a bit. I took the oil filter housing cap off like 3 times to double check the “metal shavings” in the oil. The metal shavings where air bubbles

Finally found out what that swirly grey stuff is. I spoke to someone else that had the same exact issues as me. He told me it's aluminum shaving from the oil filter housing threads. Every time you tight the oil filter cap, it slightly shaves a little off the threads and goes into the oil. That's why when you take the oil filter cap off, you see it but then it dissapers.

That doesn't sound right. Plastic isn't going to abrade aluminum and I didn't experience this on my E46 or E39 M5.

That doesn't sound right. Plastic isn't going to abrade aluminum and I didn't experience this on my E46 or E39 M5.
I mean, I’m still going to get a UOA. They guy I spoke to owns a European shop and told me the new BMWs have the same issue

I mean, I’m still going to get a UOA. They guy I spoke to owns a European shop and told me the new BMWs have the same issue
The oil filter housing is a logical location for metal to end up, since it can't get through the filter. Maybe it's normal wear and just is visible in this application due to the housing/cartridge setup but definitely something to watch I think. Glad to hear you are getting a UOA.

thats literally exactly what I said...

I put a magnet in the oil and tested to see if I can see any metal shavings(used a magnificent glass). Found nothing. Put the oil filter on a towel paper and laid the towel paper on a paper plate and let the oil run down. Looked at the towel paper and saw no metal shavings or flakes on it. Looked at the paper plate and saw nothing on that. I put some of the oil on my fingers and rubbed the whole and felt no roughness or any metal type feeling on my fingers
It could very well be aluminum. I'd run the oil to 500 or 1,000 miles pull a sample via the dipstick tube and get a UOA done. That might shed some light and eliminate a lot of guessing.

Back