What’s this grey/silver swirl in my oil?

The car was sitting for a week so I thought I'd take a look at the fluids. So I looked at the coolant and then opened the oil cap and flashed a flashlight at the oil and saw that (pic). So, I freaked out thinking it was metal shavings in the oil. But, I did all the test to determine if it's metal and nothing showed up. I used to drive a 1998 Toyota Camry with 197k miles on it (would burn a little oil). Every time I stopped to get gas, I'd check all the fluids just to make sure nothing was low. So, I guess I'm so used to checking fluids because of the Camry that I decided to take a look at the fluids in the BMW (though there is no oil dipstick nor transmission dipstick)
iono.gif
In what way did you test it?

It appears to be in the filter housing, and it appears to be metallic. I'm thinking it may just be normal for this to accumulate in that area, and possibly "held" by the filter. If this oil has been in service for a long time, I wouldn't worry too much, those particles are extremely fine. The only way to really find out is to have some oil from that area analyzed. You could do some experiments on your own, like submerge a magnet in it for a while, but that wouldn't rule out fine particles of aluminum.

In what way did you test it?
I put a magnet in the oil and tested to see if I can see any metal shavings(used a magnificent glass). Found nothing. Put the oil filter on a towel paper and laid the towel paper on a paper plate and let the oil run down. Looked at the towel paper and saw no metal shavings or flakes on it. Looked at the paper plate and saw nothing on that. I put some of the oil on my fingers and rubbed the whole and felt no roughness or any metal type feeling on my fingers

It appears to be in the filter housing, and it appears to be metallic. I'm thinking it may just be normal for this to accumulate in that area, and possibly "held" by the filter. If this oil has been in service for a long time, I wouldn't worry too much, those particles are extremely fine. The only way to really find out is to have some oil from that area analyzed. You could do some experiments on your own, like submerge a magnet in it for a while, but that wouldn't rule out fine particles of aluminum.
60C9FCD4-A7C6-40E3-B163-FB5708827EF0.jpeg
CFBC573A-672D-4FA0-9935-1457E6F978D7.jpeg

These two pictures are from two days ago when I first checked the oil.I showed the pics to my BMW mechanic (retired 15 year BMW master tech) and he told me it looks more like air bubbles than metal shavings. The pictures in the original post are from last night when I started the car and let it run for 5 min.

You could dip a magnet it there and see if they stick to it.
Did it twice and saw nothing on the magnet. Maybe I am just freaking out and it's nothing to worry about. I don't hear any abnormal noises or knocking. Scanned for Vanos codes, no codes poped up.

Run it through a coffee filter and see if the particulate stays. At that point I'd suspect it being aluminum. If it is just air bubbles, you won't catch anything.

Run it through a coffee filter and see if the particulate stays. At that point I'd suspect it being aluminum. If it is just air bubbles, you won't catch anything.
I took the filter out and let the oil from the filter run on to a paper towel which was laid on to a paper plate. Saw nothing on the paper plate either.
D7C433ED-C01C-40D0-B3CE-59E34468998A.png
B995DEE1-099C-4780-A0EA-41403D424F8E.png

Currently, car has 71,725 miles. I brought it from the previous owner (1st owner dealer maintained) two years ago. It had 67k back then. So, he drove it 6700 miles a year I drove it only 2362 miles in those two years I've owned it. In the 11 years, it has been driven 6500 miles/year

That's not a lot of miles. Always a good idea to get some highway runs in if you haven't. Not specific to your post but it sounds like you have the dealer records? Or was this a verbal form the original owner that it was dealer maintained? If you have the info I'm curious as BMW may have had your model under the very extended OCI of 15k IIRC.

That's not a lot of miles. Always a good idea to get some highway runs in if you haven't. Not specific to your post but it sounds like you have the dealer records? Or was this a verbal form the original owner that it was dealer maintained? If you have the info I'm curious as BMW may have had your model under the very extended OCI of 15k IIRC.
Yup, I’ve got all the service records from when the car was new to since I’ve owned it. Pervious owner got the oil changes done every 5-7k miles or 6-8 months at the dealership since the car was brand new

Back