What's the point of Pennzoil SUV oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reviewing the data sheets for Pennzoil's SUV/Truck/Mini-van oil, I can't find anything compelling or substantially different than their standard-issue dino oils.

From the data sheet: "...contains time-released additives that provide consistent protection over the life of the oil". Sounds more like an over-the-counter medication rather than engine oil!

Is this made of a special base-stock? Just a marketing ploy?

" Just a marketing ploy? "
----------------------------------------------------------

Am I happy you didn't make me say it!
lol.gif

The penzoil blends will always be covered with dust from sitting on the shelves. I don't know if it is worth the 50 cents or so ever regular penzoil.

I think it was Quaker State which started this nonsense. As I recall their first "SpEcIaL" dino oil was Quaker State 4 X 4. It was pretty much QS dino oil with a different label.

Of course Shell owns Pennzoil and Pennzoil owns Quaker State, so I guess it is one big nut fest at the marketing meetings.

John

Actually I think that the data sheets show that most of these oil are usually different. They are geared more towards a specific use, something I would think BITOG members would like. Whether or not they are needed or worth it, may be up to debate though.

-T

Another vote from me for marketing.

It may have been Johnny or someone esle here who sounded really confident that this was their "synthetic blend," only in a different bottle.

It's a perfectly competent oil tapping into the mindless SUV craze/mentality.

--- Bror Jace

What I find interesting is the massive proliferation of oils on the store shelves. Between all the new weights like the OW-Xs and 5W20s, High Mileage, semi syn blends, Truck/SUV, etc. they have a million different kinds but low (or no) inventory on each one.

It's marketing although the products are definitely not the same. I don't get some of the differences either. For instance, the HTHS viscosity on the standard 10W-30 is slightly higher than the SUV oil, while the SUV oil is slighty thicker at low temps...
confused.gif
And I wonder if the additive packages are all that different? Unless it's really a blend on in some other way "special", why would a person bother with it...

[ June 02, 2004, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Originally posted by nascarnation:
What I find interesting is the massive proliferation of oils on the store shelves. Between all the new weights like the OW-Xs and 5W20s, High Mileage, semi syn blends, Truck/SUV, etc. they have a million different kinds but low (or no) inventory on each one.

I agree with so many types of oil, often they only have one space for each type and weight. This means about 8-10 bottles each. Meaning one person gets their oil, and they are basically out, since they only have 3 bottles left.

-T

In Oz here, the Pennzoil 4WD dino is a SJ(SL?)/CH-4 rated oil, so probably Pennzoil is doing the same thing like mobil with their Delac-1 and M1 SUV. Not sure if that's the same thing as its counterparts in the US.

Its just marketing to get gullible SUV drivers to buy their product.
nono.gif

Just like selling toothpaste, whitening, tartar control etc, etc. All the same.

This stuff is supposed to be a blend. Both quaker state and Penzoil have given there blends a purpose. (4x4,svu, etc) I noticed that valvoline has placed stickers on durablend "best for your truck" or something like that. I am sure these would provide better protection and ordinary dino. How much better I do not know. I have noticed some good UOA from castrol blends.The motorcraft 5w-20 seems to be good stuff. Is this stuff worth the 25% premium that you would pay???

Mabey, just mabey, with 10-20% synthetic base these oils will stay in grade, not thin out at the top end or thicken on the low end (in the winter). They have been branded as unworthy by members of this board, mabey for a good reason. I do not know, but I am sure they would provide at least as good of protection as plain dino, and if spending 2-3 extra bucks (50 cents X5) makes you feel better, it may be worth it.
tongue.gif

I wonder if Johnny is a round to give more info on this product...

Too bad the marketing arm of PZ/QS/Shell won. Simply naming it "Synthetic Blend" seems to make the most sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back