What's the one car you regret not buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "66 Chevelle SS" that was for sale during the oil embargo and was going for $750 as you couldn't give these away! If I bought a couple of them I could rest easy now!

I should have bought a black '04 Mazda3. I bought a gray one instead, but it looks like it has a little bit of purple in the color, especially under artificial light. My previous Grand Am was gray, so maybe I was under the influence of sentimentality when I bought the 3. Oh well; I guess I refer to the car as a female, so maybe it makes sense that it looks a little feminine!

Funny how 66 Chevelles are being referenced here. My second high school car was one. However, it had a rear valence panel that needed replacing, and the rear window area under the trim had the famous GM rust-through problem, so I pulled the drive train and gave the body to the circle track racer I worked for to replace his aging Camaro. At that time it was cheaper just to buy another body then to fix that one - I bought a clean Skylark GS with a non-running 401 for $200.

Cars I missed - An orginal owner '73 Type LT Camaro in 1983. Car was cherry, but asking price was $3600. Seemed too high, and owner wouldn't budge, so we very regretfully walked away from it.

However, it showed up about 3 weeks later for less, and has been in our possession ever since.

A couple of years later went looking for a late-seventies/early eighties two wheel drive Blazer. Passed on a nice one which was $3-400 too steep. That one didn't come back around, and the one in my range I ended up with turned out to be a real junker.
mad.gif

A left over 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, a bright red, 4 door, 5 speed, twin turbo. It lacked antilock brakes. Just as well. The last 2 times I looked at cars, I walked away from a deal on a Dodge because it didn't have antilock. Perhaps just as well, likely it would have been a Botch.

I did buy a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am GT, a bright whitem 4 door, 5 speed, HO Quad 4. In my old age, I have an 02 Caivilier LM, silver, 2 door, 5 speed, Ecotec.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Regret not getting a stick shift car instead of automatic when I got my Integra. Actually, my dad paid for it back then and he say no to stick, so not really my choice.

Now the car I got later for my wife, she wants and automatic, so I miss my chance again.

The way I keep driving all my car and haven't retired even the 14 year old one yet, I'll probably never have a chance to own a stick shift until I'm too old to drive.

listen - stick shift gets really old, fast. I learnt this week driving a work car with 5 spd. my usuakl car is an auto. why do the work yourself when the car does it for you?

1970 Plymouth AAR Cuda, could have bought for $1,800 back in 1980. These are among the most collectible Chrysler products ever made. Man, hindsight is 20/20. At the time the car wasn't really anything special. High gas prices depreciated the value of the muscle cars and it was common to see nice Chevelles for 1500.

'88-'89 Acura Integra LS. I really liked that car, but the dealer insisted on charging $299 for $30 worth of mud guards. I tried to talk him down, but no dice.

Fear of the wife has made me lowball on a number of vehicles I waffled on. Then it would not be my fault (or hers) if I didn't get it.

Previous owner often bit the lowball anyway, and they followed me home!

In the mid-70's I had a chance to buy a Sunbeam Tiger for $1700. Black, decent body condition with no mechanical problems. It was a lot of money for me at the time and I needed a car to drive not collect. So I passed it up.

Dumb.

The curb-stoner down the street had a mid '90s Bronco for $800 a couple of years ago. I never took a test drive but the body was sound and it had a stick, so it probably had an I6 and manual tcase, too. I'm still kicking myself for not even taking it for a spin. I think he eventually gave up and took it back to the auction.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Regret not getting a stick shift car instead of automatic when I got my Integra. Actually, my dad paid for it back then and he say no to stick, so not really my choice.

Now the car I got later for my wife, she wants and automatic, so I miss my chance again.

The way I keep driving all my car and haven't retired even the 14 year old one yet, I'll probably never have a chance to own a stick shift until I'm too old to drive.

listen - stick shift gets really old, fast. I learnt this week driving a work car with 5 spd. my usuakl car is an auto. why do the work yourself when the car does it for you?

1. It's more fun
2. I was (am still am) young
3. You don't learn to properly drive and appreciate a nice car until you drive stick shift.
4. I hate the car automatically up shift on me right before I am slowing down to a stop due to traffic. Some smooth shifting cars like Toyota is OK, but some gear slammer like Integra or Taurus is horrible.

Originally Posted By: labman
A left over 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, a bright red, 4 door, 5 speed, twin turbo. It lacked antilock brakes.

those weren't twin turbo, just one turbo, DOHC, 224hp.

antilocks are overrated, IMO. in 5 yrs of driving my 5 speed VUE w/o antilocks, I've never been in a situation where I wish I had them. the brakes modulate just fine w/o big brother interference.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

Yeah, my dad says the same thing, despite owning manual transmission muscle cars and sports cars before I was born. I suppose anything physical begins to seem like work as a person gets old!

'86 Lebaron turbo convertible. It was only 1000 bucks. Instead, I bought my 92 diesel VW Golf for 650 and had it break down exactly one month later. That was a stupid decision.

In '75, I looked at a '72 Road Runner. It was white with the black strobe stripes, 340 4 speed. It even had a cassette player, which was hot shinola at the time. It was beautiful and I wanted it bad. But it was $2,000 and for a poor college student living at home working a part time job for mininum wage, it could just as well have been a million.

So really, I regret not being able to afford it. I still love those late sixties/early seventies MOPAR muscle cars.

1969 Ford Mustang fastback..427ci 4 speed pos track. I almost reenlisted for the bonus money to buy one. But, then again, it would have killed me and I would have missed all this fun..
crazy2.gif

Great grandma's 72 Gran Torino.. I know where it's at someday I may try to buy it back. Another was a 88 or 89 Dodge Spirit turbo. Found it and told the dealer we'd be right back had to get my dad. By the time we got back they sold it only 1 hour. Guess it was fate I'd probably not be here to much car to unresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back