Chevrolet Big Block Trivia or : Where were they hiding them Horses!?

What about the 496? It was easily available through he 2000's
Sure, it has bragging rights as the last big block Chevy made. It had a decent production run for 8 years and then Chevy made them for two more years on a motor home chassis. Better known as the 8.1 liter it had a strong following among truck fans.

155BC43F-202A-4F65-A608-DC335C33CB17.jpeg
D86545CA-DC29-4F7A-AD8B-BF0193D0C465.jpeg

The 1978 Trans Am 6.6 liter (400 ci) was a bit of an outlier with big cubes but when they de-tuned it, it was out of breath by 4500 rpm. You need rpm to make big power. The peak torque was over by about 2500 HP and dropped badly with RPM. Still, 225 HP in a world of 140 HP V-8’s was pretty good and it could to 0 to 60 in 8 seconds, good for the time.

View attachment 220753
Yes, they choked them down too. It is a shame Pontiac is gone since IMHO they did as much for General Motors high performance reputation as the Chevelles and Camaros once did. There was a master Pontiac technician (self employed) who could get everything possible out of those "smog era" choked down late 70s TransAms. First thing he would do would be to open up the foolishly closed off hood scoop (Pontiac must have left them on for sporty look yet closed them off I am sure to appease CAFE standards or insurance companies). Once they opened the scoops to allow fresh cool air straight into the carbs, they would adjust the distributor and open up the badly tweaked down carb jets. Once they adjusted the engine timing they were off to the races! Well , not really racing in most cases but just so happy their TransAms once again felt like a V8 with some real old fashioned Pontiac power that would easily start and could breath and run like a V8 engine should. Ever hear of the master Pontiac tuner from the late 70s thru the 90s Nunzi? This guy was a master mechanic/tuner bar none and it was joked that he had a Dyno inside his body and could come very close to calling out the actual horsepower of a Pontiac TransAm vs and verified by a real dyno run , LoL just by listening to the engine with his hands on the car! He was seriously no joke and highly sought out by Pontiac owners who could not get them to run right lots of times from the factory of after THE WRONG mechanics touched their cars. Not sure if he is still with us or not but I had heard he retired and focused just on drag racing Pontiacs with his son after building their own cars.

Yeah. The 366 is certainly one I do not even recall. I remember there was a place in NY that is likely still in business run by the sons or others called Motion Industries by Joel Rossen who did stuff like Don Yenko and had a deal with General Motors thru dealerships to take brand new (customer ordered first) Camaros or Chevelles and Corvettes and they would take the new cars into their shops. Remove the brand new engines to replace with the 427cui or larger available engines that GM would not sell thru dealerships at the time. Those are some highly sought after "day 2" cars called Yenko SuperCars or MotionChevys. They seem to be worth their weight in gold these days The funny?sad? thing is that now a days with all the newer / modern high horsepower fuel injected engines there are probably "tuned" Toyotas and Hondas that could likely out run some of the American muscle machine cars from the 60s and 70s. I have no doubt many of the Mopars they been putting out since about 2010 can eat up any older cars they meet on the roads or tracks.

The old cars have a soul, a character all their own.

If someone dangled two sets of keys in front me, a new Hellcat or a '70-'71 Challenger 440, it would be a tough choice but I think I would rather have the '70.

Most people will get this one wrong because they forget about the 366 & 427 tall deck commercial truck engines.
The only thing worth saving from a 366 core is the forged 3.76" crank. The rest makes a good boat anchor.
Im aware of the 366..Did it ever come with a 2 bbl? All I ever saw was a speed governed Holley 4 bbl on them.

The 1978 Trans Am 6.6 liter (400 ci) was a bit of an outlier with big cubes but when they de-tuned it, it was out of breath by 4500 rpm. You need rpm to make big power. The peak torque was over by about 2500 RPM and dropped badly with RPM. Still, 225 HP in a world of 140 HP V-8’s was pretty good and it could do 0 to 60 in 8 seconds, fairly good for the time.

View attachment 220753
we couldnt get the 400 pontiac here due to emissions reasons. We got the 403 olds which was embarrasing in trans am

Im aware of the 366..Did it ever come with a 2 bbl? All I ever saw was a speed governed Holley 4 bbl on them.
I had to search that out having seen plenty of the tall deck square Holley type 4 barrel manifolds in the recycle bin.
As I posted up thread, I saved the 2V 396 manifold from my parents 69 station wagon.
My mother passed 20 years ago and I was saving her 76 Pontiac 455 (yellow) station wagon for a project vehicle until someone waved
a thousand bucks in my face 2 years ago. It ran in a demolition derby before the engine was removed and sold.

The question was raised about the power levels of the modern LTs. The new 6.6L L8T is 402 cubic inches and produces 401 net HP.
Why is it more fuel efficient and powerful than the original 396/402 with a small 194/200 @ .050" .504" lift camshaft and only a 1.6" exhaust valve? The rectangle BBC heads had 2.19/1.88" valves for comparison.

More SBC trivia that you likely already know - the SB 400 had a bore of 4.125" and a stroke of 3.75".

It was common for engine builders to bore a 350 or 327 block 30 thou over (4.000" to 4.030") and install the crank from a 400, increasing the stroke from 3.25" (327) or 3.48" (350) to 3.75", for a displacement of 383 c.i.

This engine was known as a Striker, and was not to be confused with the Mopar of the same displacement.
'Striker'?

I had to search that out having seen plenty of the tall deck square Holley type 4 barrel manifolds in the recycle bin.
As I posted up thread, I saved the 2V 396 manifold from my parents 69 station wagon.
My mother passed 20 years ago and I was saving her 76 Pontiac 455 (yellow) station wagon for a project vehicle until someone waved
a thousand bucks in my face 2 years ago. It ran in a demolition derby before the engine was removed and sold.

The question was raised about the power levels of the modern LTs. The new 6.6L L8T is 402 cubic inches and produces 401 net HP.
Why is it more fuel efficient and powerful than the original 396/402 with a small 194/200 @ .050" .504" lift camshaft and only a 1.6" exhaust valve? The rectangle BBC heads had 2.19/1.88" valves for comparison.
I would think the direct fuel injection, VVT, aluminum heads, and roller lifters, helped.

'Striker'?

Striker!? That is one I never caught wind of but makes for a good nickname based on what they were doing. As an old Chevy die hard I certainly was not one of those "my brand or the highway" guys. I loved all brands from the big block Mopar monsters to the Ford/Mercury FE 427/428/429s to the times when AMC got themselves into road racing. I even got a kick out of when the Alabama Staties went with the AMC Javelins (401cui) ram air to go after speeders around 1972. Some folks do not realize even Buick put out some street/strip sweepers that could even run with and beat some fast cars when Buick offered the 455cui Stage1 and Stage2 monsters in the 70s era GranSports and rare GTXs. Good thing I was too young to own some of those. They likely would have had to scrape me off some highway then because I did not yet have the sense to not SPEED on regular roads.

Arg! So-called "Autocorrect" strikes again ... it was the Stroker (for the long 4-1/8" stroke), not the Striker. My apologies!

I would think the direct fuel injection, VVT, aluminum heads, and roller lifters, helped.
All of the above with a large diameter intake valve and 1.8:1 rocker ratio. Shallow valve angles, good flowing ports, unrestrictive intake and exhaust manifolds, high compression ratio, long connecting rods and a ridged skirted block to name a few.
I think with a little more camshaft, (maybe around 258/264 @ .050 111 LSA) the 6.6L L8T could run Super Gas (9.90) all day long on 10 gallons of gas.

Last edited:
What about the 496? It was easily available through he 2000's
Not sure of the details involved with the 496 itself but there are all kinds of places today who a person can buy all sorts of different size/horespower crate engines from many manufacturers for Ford / Chrysler-Dodge / Chevy-GM etc... and you can order what is known as turn-key with almost everything to a cheaper version that one has to add almost everything from intake manifold/carb or fuel injection to water pump, belts to even the distributor unless you chose one with coil set up. Today unlike when they pulled the rug on performance in late 70s thru early 80s.....anyone with the cash can just about order and build just about anything you desire now. There is a big enough automobile + truck restoration support industry that did not exist in the 70s / 80s to accomplish any build someone can dream up.

All of the above with a large diameter intake valve and 1.8:1 rocker ratio. Shallow valve angles, good flowing ports, unrestrictive intake and exhaust manifolds, high compression ratio, long connecting rods and a ridged skirted block to name a few.
I think with a little more camshaft, (maybe around 258/264 @ .050 111 LSA) the 6.6L L8T could run Super Gas (9.90) all day long on 10 gallons of gas.
Another neat trick the best racers used to do until lots of folks caught on was instead of adding headers they would take the heavy steel stock exhaust manifolds and have them honed out to make better breathing passages over the restrictive stock set ups. Lots of folks doing that today who are determined to keep the stock appearance in the engine bay. Plus today one can even order just about any pre assembled heads made from many different materials to what ever one desires. Oh yeah a guy with money can create some mighty big giant cui engines that can really fly. Only issue now is there are virtually no places to run such beasts except on real tracks or official strips to avoid going to jail. Well there still is the Bonneville salt flats! :rolleyes:

Another neat trick the best racers used to do until lots of folks caught on was instead of adding headers they would take the heavy steel stock exhaust manifolds and have them honed out to make better breathing passages over the restrictive stock set ups. Lots of folks doing that today who are determined to keep the stock appearance in the engine bay. Plus today one can even order just about any pre assembled heads made from many different materials to what ever one desires. Oh yeah a guy with money can create some mighty big giant cui engines that can really fly. Only issue now is there are virtually no places to run such beasts except on real tracks or official strips to avoid going to jail. Well there still is the Bonneville salt flats! :rolleyes:
Now it's "Cowboy Cadillacs". Lifted Bro-Trucks, 40s, deleted Diesels, rolling coal and www.bullsballs.com

Lets pick a vehicle weight. I got into trouble about running 10's in old Camaros with another poster. Pick a weight and we can calculate how much HP is required for 9.9. I would guess you can strip down a 3500 lb car to 3200 lbs. A 9.9 would required about 650 dyno horsepower according to some of the ET calculators.

Here is a normally aspirated 441 ci LS engine that can do that, revving to 6500 rpm.

MEDIA=youtube]UM3H-HPAKIA[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Back