What's the one car you regret not buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: moribundman
I would have liked a Subaru Baja, but I wasn't in the market for second car when the Baja came out. When I was looking for another car, the Baja had been discontinued.

Bored a few nights ago I was looking at Subaru sales for 2008(which went up slightly). They actually sold 2 Baja's for the entire year of 2008. The sales were down some like 99.x% since they sold 3 in 2007.

You missed your chance :)

I see at least three Bajas in my direct neighborhood. That's not surprising since all the (many of the local) surfer dudes reside here. I could always try and find a used one...

I had a line on a pretty nice '66 Chevelle a while back. I wasn't quick enough with the bucks. For some reason I've always remembered it as THE one that got away.

E46 330ci. In retrospect, I think it would have put a bigger smile on my face, but my practical character steered me away from it in the end.

In 1972, I had the opportunity to buy a gorgeous 1960 Porsche 1600 Super for $1000. The fellow was desperate to sell, but I didn't have a grand to spare. I still think about that car now and then. What a sweet driver!

In 1986 (the year I got my license) a good friend and his wife put their CHERRY 1971 Chevelle SS up for sale. That car was 100% stock, low mileage and gorgeous - gray with the black stripe up the hood. Probably would've been a poor choice for my first car, but OMG did I love it. I wish I coulda come up with the money, but bagging groceries at IGA wouldn't pay that bill.

Unfortunately, some high-school kid bought it and promptly blew up the engine in it.

I regret not having the space to store my grandpas 73 corvette when he was getting rid of it. It had 25k original miles and I could have had it if I just had the space to store it. I have fond memories of the few time I got to ride in it when I was younger. Well at least I got his 1967 john deer lawn tractor that I use to ride around with him on. Amazing its still running good.

I regret not taking a Corvette with me when I was stationed in Germany. I think I could have sold it for mad money and then taken a Euro delivery of a BMW or Porsche and shipped it back to the states.

(I still would like to do the Euro delivery of a car someday and break it in on the 'Ring.)

I ran into a neighbor (German national) that wanted one so bad he paid stupid money for one got it certified etc. So I bonk myself on the head for not capitalizing on that opportunity.

About 10 years ago, my neighbor had a fully original Mach One Mustang, I couldn't remember the year and I'm not a big Ford fan, but this baby was all factory original and garage kept. It was one of those "my wife told me to sell it, how much would you give for it" kind of thing. We had just moved in the neighborhood and with closing costs and all the moving expenses, I just couldn't offer very much and didn't want to embarrass myself in front of him, so I passed. Still think about that everytime I pass his house and the Mach One is gone.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
E46 330ci. In retrospect, I think it would have put a bigger smile on my face, but my practical character steered me away from it in the end.

If you were closer to me, I'd trade you. My 330ci has been an excellent car, but it doesn't suit my needs now that I'm a dad. I need four doors, and I don't know if I can hold out long enough for the F10 5er to come out.

'the one that got away' always seems to be better in your imagination than in real life. same with cars 'you wish you never sold'. I don't regret getting rid of any of my cars; '65 malibu, '70 nova SS clone, few GTI's. whenever I get all misty-eyed, I try to remember why I got rid of them- rusting apart, always breaking down, etc.
OTOH, there were a few new cars I wish I had bought, 1st gen sentra SE-R, like '91 I think. DOHC, limited slip, 140hp all in a plain jane sentra. payments would have been only like $200, but insurance for a 21 yr old in NY was too high.

Kind of sorry that I bought my Monte Carlo instead of the Trans Am WS6 that I test drove. The Monte is a fine car, but it's far too practical.

A car that I would've liked to keep forever (get ready for this) was my 1993 Sundance V6. Out of the MANY cars I've owned, it's the only one that never gave me a moment's problem and it was very fun to drive. 140hp / 176tq with a 5-speed seemed like a lot in that car...it kept me quite entertained. Alas, at 75K I realized I didn't have the cash to put into a timing belt, clutch and brakes so I traded it on a lousy excuse for a vehicle...1997 Ford Ranger 2.3. One of the biggest regrets of my life.

There was a 91 Saab Turbo at this guy's foreign car service station. Well that's what it was called. Rick's Foreign Cars. I got to talking to the guy through emails and he said come up and he would give me a tour of his garage. It was one of the most fantastic adventures of my life. He had a 72 BMW Bavaria. A Lotus Europa, DKW's, a Subaru 360, an 1983 Mazda RX-7, a BMW from the fifties with a V8, cars I had only read about. All tucked away in a nice storage garage across the street from his garage. And he had a 1991 Turbo Saab, grey with tan leather interior. Car was in decent shape except you had to hold the gearshifter in reverse to go in backwards. I shoulda bought that car but I listened to my wife and drove home. I was sad for weeks. I really, really shoulda bought that car. It would only have been a work car with four mile roundtrips. If it broke down I could have walked! And he only wanted $750!

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
There was a 91 Saab Turbo at this guy's foreign car service station. Well that's what it was called. Rick's Foreign Cars. I got to talking to the guy through emails and he said come up and he would give me a tour of his garage. It was one of the most fantastic adventures of my life. He had a 72 BMW Bavaria. A Lotus Europa, DKW's, a Subaru 360, an 1983 Mazda RX-7, a BMW from the fifties with a V8, cars I had only read about. All tucked away in a nice storage garage across the street from his garage. And he had a 1991 Turbo Saab, grey with tan leather interior. Car was in decent shape except you had to hold the gearshifter in reverse to go in backwards. I shoulda bought that car but I listened to my wife and drove home. I was sad for weeks. I really, really shoulda bought that car. It would only have been a work car with four mile roundtrips. If it broke down I could have walked! And he only wanted $750!

Listening to the wife is such a double edged sword eh...

For me, I wish I bought an early 90's Miata when I was flush with cash from my first job. My Dad had one for a couple years and it was a fun car to drive, even in town.
Now we need to have practical vehicles as daily drivers but someday I'll go to the southern US and find a nice one for a track toy.
Ian

Not really much to say. Don't regret much, but there was a 1994 Toyota Surf SR-G that a friend sold when she left Japan. Really wanted one, but didn't know about the size, and an older diesel kinda worries me. I have since gotten a much smaller car and regret not getting the big car. Would love to drive a diesel, and all the modifications I have found online would keep me busy. Push button convertor lockup, relocated diff breathers, lights, all the good stuff, and I wouldn't have to worry about having 4 Americans in the car at the same time.

Regret not getting a stick shift car instead of automatic when I got my Integra. Actually, my dad paid for it back then and he say no to stick, so not really my choice.

Now the car I got later for my wife, she wants and automatic, so I miss my chance again.

The way I keep driving all my car and haven't retired even the 14 year old one yet, I'll probably never have a chance to own a stick shift until I'm too old to drive.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Now the car I got later for my wife, she wants and automatic, so I miss my chance again.

Same story here. Except I still have my five-speed Sunfire, and it's weird as all heck to be sitting beside a shifter that's not on a bus.
grin2.gif

When I ordered my 70 Camaro I was seriously considering a z/28. It was only a few hundred more, although those hundreds were worth much more then. I still have my 70 and if it were a Z it would be worth 10 times as much. However, who knows whether I would have wrecked it or even lived through it.

Quote:
What's the one car you regret not buying?

1970 Dodge Challenger.................could've gotten one in really nice shape for peanuts back in '86..........could probably sell it and pay off the mortgage, plus have enough left over for an'09 SRT Challenger now.

Live and learn, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back