What's the most stringent oil approval(s)?

I'm not sure if it's technically called an "approval", "specification", or "certification"...???

When comparing 0W-20 oils, I'm just curious which manufacturer has the most stringent approval? Is it BMW LL-17FE, MB 229.71, VW508.00/509.00, Porsche C20, etc., etc.?

Are the testing methods to achieve these approvals published somewhere? I'd find it very interesting to know what type of testing criteria is required. As motor oil technology advances, is there a way to stay current on the latest approvals?

Finally, when shopping for oil(s) and comparing the Product Data Sheets, what's the difference between "approvals" and "recommendations"?

Thank you,
Ed

I'm not sure if it's technically called an "approval", "specification", or "certification"...???

When comparing 0W-20 oils, I'm just curious which manufacturer has the most stringent approval? Is it BMW LL-17FE, MB 229.71, VW508.00/509.00, Porsche C20, etc., etc.?

Are the testing methods to achieve these approvals published somewhere? I'd find it very interesting to know what type of testing criteria is required. As motor oil technology advances, is there a way to stay current on the latest approvals?

Finally, when shopping for oil(s) and comparing the Product Data Sheets, what's the difference between "approvals" and "recommendations"?

Thank you,
Ed
The difference in an actual approval and a recommendation is just as the word(s) say.

If you find a copy of the Afton Specification Handbook online you can see many of the specific requirements for most approvals, specifications and licenses. It was available online for free for a while but I don't see it now.

If you find a copy of the Afton Specification Handbook online you can see many of the specific requirements for most approvals, specifications and licenses. It was available online for free for a while but I don't see it now.

Very cool!...thank you Pete!

:)

Ed
It's a great tool.

Just a FYI the certs IIRC are pass/fail so you'll never truly be able to compare performance differences. BITOG members get hung up on those differences and we try to flesh them out but it's next to impossible. However the most recent revision of a cert is typically consitered the most stringent. Ex BMW LL01 vs BMW LL01 (rev. 2018)

Back