Whats the least expensive JASO MA spec full synthetic?

Been following your posts and I agree with you and what the manufacturers call for.
Here is another example. Why would I use a 10/30, 5/30 or 10/40 when the boat that someone buys engine maker calls for a straight weight 40?
SO I dont buy that thin oil protects as well if the manufacturer calls for thicker oil. I trust Mercury Marine has a reason for this and I actually had first hand knowledge of it in my brothers twin engine v6 merc powered boat. Merc calls for their 40 wt (aka 25/40) my brother, ONE TIME after decades of boating cheaped out and bought 20/50 castrol thinking it had to be just as good. WELL, he had a hard run out to the ocean and back, when he arrived at the dock the engines (valves) where clattering like broken sewing machines, he put the Merc 25/40 back in never an issue again and never cheaped out again. The 25/40 is a straight weight oil.

Lets go to a more modern SUV vehicle. If 0/20 and 5/20 protect as good as a 5/30 why does GM spec 5/30 in their Chevy Traverse V6 engines? (as well as their other SUVs) Clearly there is something to the thicker oil protection in some applications or GM would be THRILLED to add an extra maybe up to 1 percent of MPG possibly by recommending a thinner oil but they dont.
In the Havoline sales catalog, they say that their 10w50 motorcycle oil “adds another layer of protection” over their 5w40. That would translate to “more headroom” in the bitog dictionary.

Straight weights start out thick, but normally thin out even more, than its multi viscosity counter parts.

like a straight 30 weight against a 10w30, the straight weight will be like water at Full temps, the polymers in the 10w30 keep it thicker.

Straight weights start out thick, but normally thin out even more, than its multi viscosity counter parts.

like a straight 30 weight against a 10w30, the straight weight will be like water at Full temps, the polymers in the 10w30 keep it thicker.
Both are in the same SAE viscosiy grade (30) when hot (212F). So one doesn't really "thin out even more" when it's at the hot operating temperature.

The advantage of a multi-grade is it stays thinner when cold for cold starting, and gets a "W" rating. The advantage of a straight weight is it doesn't shear down because of VIIs, and will typically have a better HTHS viscosity.

Last edited:
Both are in the same SAE viscosiy grade (30) when hot (212F). So one doesn't really "thin out even more" when it's at the hot operating temperature.

True... to qualify as grade 30 the oil must flow between 9.3 cSt and 12.4 cSt @ 212F independently of its W flow rate...

Typical 30 Grades @ operating temp 212F

Straight 30.............................10.5 cSt equal flow
10W-30....................................10.5 cSt
5W-30.......................................10.0 cSt
0W-30.......................................10. 3 cSt equal flow

Typical 30 Grades @ start temp 104F

Straight 30.............................98 cSt slow flow
10W-30....................................67 cSt
5W-30.......................................62 cSt
0W-30.......................................56 cSt fast flow

The advantage of a multi-grade is it stays thinner when cold for cold starting, and gets a "W" rating. The advantage of a straight weight is it doesn't shear down because of VIIs, and will typically have a better HTHS viscosity.
My eyes dont lie, it was actually very scary dropping straight 30 weight out of my sport bike with only 400 miles on the oil, completely water thin. Never seen that before.

you know how when you drain hot oil, it drains and the thin stream and drip for quite a bit. That straight 30 blew out like water and didnt even have a drip.

It Freaked me out

Last edited:
My eyes dont lie, it was actually very scary dropping straight 30 weight out of my sport bike with only 400 miles on the oil, completely water thin. Never seen that before.

you know how when you drain hot oil, it drains and the thin stream and drip for quite a bit. That straight 30 blew out like water and didnt even have a drip.

It Freaked me out
I'm sure you "eyes don't lie" ... but if a xW-30 was drained at the same temperature it would drain out of the engine just as fast and seem "water thin".

It Freaked me out

My hot oil drained like water is a scary figure of speech but water @ 1 cST is able to drain 10 times quicker...

I'm sure you "eyes don't lie" ... but if a xW-30 was drained at the same temperature it would drain out of the engine just as fast and seem "water thin".
I drain 10 w30 oils all the time, have 2 other vehicles, Believe me , the differnce on that straight 30 weight was Huge in comparison.

Like I say scared the Cht out of me.

My hot oil drained like water is a scary figure of speech but water @ 1 cST is able to drain 10 times quicker...
From drain to no drip was like less than 30 seconds, yep Id never seen that before , and the oil only had 400 miles on it.

Never did that again with that oil in my sport bike

I drain 10 w30 oils all the time, have 2 other vehicles, Believe me , the differnce on that straight 30 weight was Huge in comparison.

Like I say scared the Cht out of me.
No that is not possible. For one thing a monograde oil will not shear thin, and the viscometry is due to physics not perception. The eye viscometer is a fickle beast. Temperature is critical for this perception as well.

Monogrades don't shear appreciably because they have no viscosity index improvers. I wonder how much fuel in the oil it would take to bring it to 1cst...

Fuel dilution really knocks down the viscosity of oil. But it would take a lot of fuel to make the resulting kinematic viscosity 1 cSt.

1668120024298.jpg

Thin oil won't have film thickness of a thicker oil which can lead to protection issues in extreme situations however riders familiar with their bike would say shifting quality suffers.

So far, after doing some searching, it appears Super Tech is still the lest expensive, even considering it's recent price increase of over 60%...

Of course we all know that SuperTech isn't JASO certified and even suspect to be JASO spec.

Despite that......

Back when I realized that engine oil prices were going to 'sky-rocket' in 2020, I purchased over 40 gallons of SuperTech 15w40.... just as an insurance policy, because I got it for $8 a gallon.

I would happy pour it in any of my rigs or motorcycles......

I would differ, its the polymer chains used in multiweights that keep and oil from thinning as much
And? What viscosity base stocks are used for the multi-viscosity oil? “Thinning as much” from what starting point?

In and of itself a monograde oil is superior in every way except for cold weather operation.

Back