Whats the least expensive JASO MA spec full synthetic?

Neither of those weights work with the Gold Wing which calls for for 10W-30, but that's my fault because I didn't specify weight in the thread title...
If you are set on 10w-30, Honda GN4 oil is like $8/qt on amazon when you buy it by the gallon, and is what they designed the bike to use. You would have to buy two jugs the first time since it holds 5 qts, but still not bad.

I personally would just use Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 and not worry about it. It also conveniently comes in 5 qt containers.

Neither of those weights work with the Gold Wing which calls for for 10W-30, but that's my fault because I didn't specify weight in the thread title...
The OM doesn't give any other options based on ambient temperature?

I compiled a ($8) Honda GN4 versus ($5) M1 auto oils at the request of Jim... a Goldwing customer... I added SuperTech in case you wish to compare all three additive packages which shows some what of an industry standard... Selecting a 30 grade based on cost I still believe it will meet and exceed your mileage expectations even with Honda's stunning DCT...
M1vGN4vSuperTech.jpg

Last edited:
Mobil Super 1300 15w40 surpases MA 2 spec, as the wording on the bottle means jack, but I can tell you its of the strongest clutch oils available.

The valvoline dino oil has plenty of clutch stall speed and grip, the valvoline Full syn, from my experience does not meet the MA 2 stall speed, as Ive seen issues with it, Even though it says meets ma2 on the bottle.

Super 1300 a gallon under $14

Last edited:
I was using Super Tech, but it's price has gone up over $3 a qt (more than 60%) just in the last year. All of the other brands of oil that I've seen in this spec are even more expensive. The price jumps in motor oil prices over the last year are nothing short of criminal...
Looks like if you are going to insist on Full Syn with a Jaso claim your paying $10 a quart for 10w30, nature of the beast for a lessor than standard motorcycle oil weight.
10/40 you can knock $2 a quart off by buying it by the gallon instead of quart.
Quicksilver Full Syn Motorcycle oil - 10w30 is available at Amazon (so far).

Last edited:
grampi,
you have been here a long time
which shocks me that you are even asking this question about a goldwing
there are dozens upon dozens of reports of how the motor in a goldwing is the E PIT O ME of excellence!!!
run anything in that motor and it will go 200,000 miles

if it were me, i would run an hdeo 15w40 until your rear is tired of that bike and then run the same in the next bike

If you are set on 10w-30, Honda GN4 oil is like $8/qt on amazon when you buy it by the gallon, and is what they designed the bike to use. You would have to buy two jugs the first time since it holds 5 qts, but still not bad.

I personally would just use Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 and not worry about it. It also conveniently comes in 5 qt containers.
The GN4 isn't a full syn, but is still a good oil, and is the Mobil JASO MA speced?

The OM doesn't give any other options based on ambient temperature?
It actually doesn't, but I've seen where a lot of people run several different weights and never have any problem. I would think it's more important to stay with the correct spec though...

Last edited:
grampi,
you have been here a long time
which shocks me that you are even asking this question about a goldwing
there are dozens upon dozens of reports of how the motor in a goldwing is the E PIT O ME of excellence!!!
run anything in that motor and it will go 200,000 miles

if it were me, i would run an hdeo 15w40 until your rear is tired of that bike and then run the same in the next bike
I never thought about that, it's common to see a lot of different weights in the GWs. I'm not familiar with hdeo, are they available in a JASO MA?

Mobil Super 1300 15w40 surpases MA 2 spec, as the wording on the bottle means jack, but I can tell you its of the strongest clutch oils available.

The valvoline dino oil has plenty of clutch stall speed and grip, the valvoline Full syn, from my experience does not meet the MA 2 stall speed, as Ive seen issues with it, Even though it says meets ma2 on the bottle.

Super 1300 a gallon under $14
Is that a full syn?

I compiled a ($8) Honda GN4 versus ($5) M1 auto oils at the request of Jim... a Goldwing customer... I added SuperTech in case you wish to compare all three additive packages which shows some what of an industry standard... Selecting a 30 grade based on cost I still believe it will meet and exceed your mileage expectations even with Honda's stunning DCT...
View attachment 123867
I wonder how much different this chart would look if the Mobil and the ST were of the JASO MA spec...

It actually doesn't, but I've seen where a lot of people run several different weights and never have any problem. I would think it's more important to stay with the correct spec though...
If it specifies 10W-30 then running a 10W-40 JASO oil would be fine ... it will actually give a bit more engine protection on the hot side.

BLS, I like the caveat in small print below the three samples you shared.

"Warning, additive packages may not be current".

How long ago did you put that comparison together for "Jim... a Gold Wing customer..."?

If additive packages are not current, the analysis is not relevant. Misleading may be the better term.

It's de facto admission on your part the comparison is probably not valid if it needs to say "Warning"...

Take some time and show current analysis and you might get a bit more credit around here.

I wonder how much different this chart would look if the Mobil and the ST were of the JASO MA spec...
Oils are formulated for the engine and not the clutch... so you won't see much difference between
the JASO spec and non JASO spec oils...

Compare JASO claim MA/MA2 Amsoil 10w30 MCT to non JASO Mobil 1 and Super Tech...
Amsoil10w30MCT2.jpg

Last edited:
Actually both if they meet JASO MA/MA1/MA2. Not all oils can meet the JASO requirements.
The chief JASO requirement is registration fee of $365 per oil...

JASO does not test oils... They only register oils based on manufacturer
data where most of it is generated by additive package manufacturers...

Attachments

• 100DollarBills1.JPG
    100DollarBills1.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1
The chief JASO requirement is registration fee of $365 per oil...

JASO does not test oils... They only register oils based on manufacturer
data where most of it is generated by additive package manufacturers...
Yeah, it's been said over and over ... even by me that JASO doesn't "test" oil - I don't thing anyone here has actually claimed that anyway. 😄

JASO still reviews the submitted test data and verifies that it meets the JASO requirements before registering the oil. What's that have to do with the subject matter of this thread?

Last edited:
Back