What's the best place to order oil analysis pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J

Who has the best price for and where is the
best place to order the oil analysis pump? I
know that if I opt not to get the Amsoil logo,
I can get the pump for a cheaper price, but I
could not find the old thread.

Cheers,

Jae

-

That Vampire place is close to me, in Knoxville.

ShortyB,

Have you used this pump already?
So how should one use this thing?

For instance, if I wanted to get an oil sample, where would I get it from? through the oil filler opening?

--would one have to warm up the oil first by running the engine?
--does Blackstone have any tips on DIY?
--are there any negative aspects when compared with getting the sample while draining?(like not all wear metal particles not being in the sample due to sedimentation perhaps?)

I'd LOVE to get an oil sample of my GC without having to drain it, but would the wear metal values be accurate?
many questions, I know. but I'm grateful for the answers
smile.gif

[ May 02, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

That Vampire place is close to me, in Knoxville.

ShortyB,

Have you used this pump already?
So how should one use this thing?
For instance, if I wanted to get an oil sample, where would I get it from? through the oil filler opening?

--would one have to warm up the oil first by running the engine?
--does Blackstone have any tips on DIY?
--are there any negative aspects when compared with getting the sample while draining?(like not all wear metal particles being in the sample due to sedimentation perhaps?)

I'd LOVE to get an oil sample of my GC without having to drain it, but would the wear metal values be accurate?
many questions, I know. but I'm grateful for the answers
smile.gif

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST; DON'T KNOW HOW THAT HAPPENNED.
MOD: PLS DELETE THE FIRST ONE ABOVE THIS ONE.THANKS.

[ May 02, 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

I'm not Shorty B but here are some answers.
I'd recommend warming engine up and getting sample. The easiest way to drow the sample is to pull ypur dipstick (engine not running), cut the hose that comes with the pump about 4 to 6 inches
longer than the dipstick, put one end of hose in pump run the other end dwn the dipstick tube and pull a sample. HTH
Paul

Find just about any CAT owned Sales and Repair place in the US an get the same pump for less than $20.

I send free PCV tubing with our in- house kits to customers that ask for it.
Dipstick tube method:
This is the cleanest and easiest way to perform oil analysis and extend drains. So yes your GC can be monitored accurately with this technique.

Clean the pump after each sample pull with denatured alcohol, please.

Terry

97tbird- Yes, I've used this pump several times already and it works very well. Clean and simple.

Do what PARTSZAR and Terry suggest as far as pulling a sample, thats what I do.

One thing that I do that may or may not make a difference is, cut about 3' of tubing. Lay the dipstick next to the tubing, making sure one end is in the middle of the H/L range on the dipstick. Mark the tubing where the dipstick seats. Insert the tubing until you reach this mark and the tubing should be pulling from the middle oil in the pan. This keeps any crud on the bottom of the pan from getting sucked up and skewing a UOA.

I don't have to clean the pump because the tubing goes in past the pump cap. As long as I don't fill more than 4oz., no oil gets on any part of the pump.

Where do you guys get the extra sampling tube / hose? I've used up mine that came with the Amsoil pump, and their tubes are expensive at $11 for just 25 ft. Thanks.

quote:

Where do you guys get the extra sampling tube / hose? I've used up mine that came with the Amsoil pump, and their tubes are expensive at $11 for just 25 ft. Thanks.

Go to Home Depot. They have plenty of tubing in 50 and 100 foot coils.

My Vampire pump came with 100 ft of tube. It ought to last more than my lifetime, but I did need thinner tube for the LS1 engine. My neighborhood Ace hardware sells it by the foot. Much more accommodating people than at the Depot. Nothing against The Depot – my sister works there – Depot works fine if you need something off the shelf, but they just don’t have enough help.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back