Silly Question - why can't oil pan/water pump be designed to spin-on?

I can't curb my curious to not asking this silly question any longer lol! After watching many auto repair memes where bad part with leaky gasket ruined everything, or customer sealed oil pan like a monster but still leaking nevertheless. So why can't car manufactures design a round-shape water pump or oil pan that can spin-on, with hand tight torque requirement, and rubber O-ring preinstalled? Now we reduce the cost for bolts, expensive metal gaskets, power tools and users have less chance to do the job wrong.

Round cartridge style WP exist on the Nissan VQ engine, but you have to relax the timing chain and remove a panel on the timing cover to get tp the pump. I think the answer to your question is that designers are more motivated by power & efficiency, followed by how much space is needed. Ease of maintenance is a lot lower on the list of needs.

I can't curb my curious to not asking this silly question any longer lol! After watching many auto repair memes where bad part with leaky gasket ruined everything, or customer sealed oil pan like a monster but still leaking nevertheless. So why can't car manufactures design a round-shape water pump or oil pan that can spin-on, with hand tight torque requirement, and rubber O-ring preinstalled? Now we reduce the cost for bolts, expensive metal gaskets, power tools and users have less chance to do the job wrong.
ever seen the water pump on a Cummins B series?
two bolts, O ring for a seal and you push it into the block,.
answer is they can... but they don't, for whatever reason
1 F150869886.jpg

Thanks. I know little about motor design history, glad to know it is possible.
honestly, the old small bock Chevy had a really simple water pump too..
but some of the stuff the engineers do makes you shake your head and think why?

I'll give a you a different one... Ram /Cummins from 2013 to 2018 had a spin on primary fuel filter under the truck..
basically a chunk fuel filter that doubles as a water separator.. spins on..

2019 and up the knuckleheads went ahead and put a cartridge type fuel filter under the truck..
now you have to drain it and disassemble the thing while laying under the truck with fuel dripping on you.
they effectively made it more difficult to replace the fuel filter and for no apparent reason

I'll give a you a different one... Ram /Cummins from 2013 to 2018 had a spin on primary fuel filter under the truck..

2019 and up the knuckleheads went ahead and put a cartridge type fuel filter under the truck..
now you have to drain it and disassemble the thing while laying under the truck with fuel dripping on you.
they effectively made it more difficult to replace the fuel filter and for no apparent reason
Boat motors have hand screwed on fuel filters that separate water from fuel. Annual service for my Yamaha outboard

What’s funny about that, it take a 307 sbc. 4 bolts. 307 buick, half the front of the engine. Same company, GM. Yup, shaking my head!

Chevy V8 timing covers were a pain if you did it by the book, by removing the oil pan. There are work-arounds but if you're not versed in doing it, it can result in bigger pain (leakage).

I've found that most all harmonic balancers on Pontiac V8's were easy to remove; remove the bolt and just slide it off by hand.

This has to be one of the worst locations for a starter. I get why Toyota put it there, I just don't like it:

20230408_150926_resized.jpg

Getting to it is one thing. Getting to the mounting bolts is another (I was not quite there yet). Someone here said that book rate is 14 hours labor to R&R, which I found is about right.

Rtv oil pans aren't that bad if you know what you're doing and have a wire wheel attachment for your drill. Wire wheel the part of the pan that comes off, gently scrape the bottom of the block or upper pan, put THE RIGHT AMOUNT of rtv, not the whole tube, slap it together and wait a day for it to dry. None of the oil pans that I've done have leaked as far as I know

Cutting threads is more expensive than drilling or punching holes. You can have quite a bit of “slop” or clearance in a bolt hole and it’ll still work just fine, threads have far less before they either just won’t work or will be super sloppy/prone to leaking or prone to cross threading.

If 90% of engine wear occurs at start-up, why can't engine oiling systems be designed with a pre-start pressurizing system? So oil pressure is there before the starter even moves?

Back