Honda key laser cut from the dealer for $9

For those that get ripped off replacing keys and remotes, here is what I did for a '19 Civic with keyless access and push button start.

IMG_1473.JPG

Used remote on Ebay with plain H logo $30. New JDM Type R logo on ebay $19. New aftermarket keyblade on Ebay $7. Keyblade cut at Honda dealer for $12. Programming remote with my scan tool $0 but I'm sure you could find somebody to do it for $40 or $50. So for about $50 I got a working remote and key blade. $70 if you spring for the nice style logo. Locksmiths quoted over $300.

You are very lucky they cut your key. A lot of dealers will not cut customer supplied keys anymore. The last one we did for a customer ended up breaking a fairly expensive cutting wheel on our key cutter. So now we refuse to cut any customer supplied keys.

You are very lucky they cut your key. A lot of dealers will not cut customer supplied keys anymore. The last one we did for a customer ended up breaking a fairly expensive cutting wheel on our key cutter. So now we refuse to cut any customer supplied keys.
You just need to keep a magnet next to the machine to make sure the blade isn't steel. Pretty simple.

I bought a fob from a Toyota dealer and had them program it, using their key (did not bring one with me). During cutting, the machine broke... told me they would call in a week or two. I waited a month, called about it, got in. Got the fob programmed, only to find out... machine was still broken and that they no longer cut keys. Great... Went to a different dealer who was nice enough to finish the job for $5.

I bought a fob from a Toyota dealer and had them program it, using their key (did not bring one with me). During cutting, the machine broke... told me they would call in a week or two. I waited a month, called about it, got in. Got the fob programmed, only to find out... machine was still broken and that they no longer cut keys. Great... Went to a different dealer who was nice enough to finish the job for $5.
Ya some machines can be expensive to fix. We keep begging for the green light to get one that can do Ford sidemill (laser cut) keys instead of having to order them pre-cut from Ford.

FWIW I hate keys. They are grossly overpriced. People always balk at us being super strict about providing proof of ownership. Then I get to stand there and get yelled at by people either on the phone or in person about how we are ripping them off and keys should be $5. At some point you develop the attitude of "stop yelling at me, I didn't lose your key. I'm trying to help you here."

I had to order precut key from VW (quick) and then get FOB piece programmed along with all other keys for keyless start/entry. It was about $200 ish….

Back