Anybody own or have experience with key cloners?

Need a second key for my '05 Jetta. Found one at the junk yard for basically nothing. I have a laser key cutting machine so was able to get a new blade for $1 and cut it myself saving $30-$40. Programming the remote part was easy with my scan tool. The only remaining issue is programming the car's immobilizer to the chip in the key. VW dealers want $100 to $150 for that and locksmiths don't even want to do it.

My only options are,

1) Pry the chip from the key and glue it to the ignition lock antenna ring. Ugly.
2) Get a spare immobilizer antenna, glue it to that, and stuff it into the steering column. Major hassle.
3) Or to clone the working key to a new chip ($2), and put that in the second key.

Been looking online for cloners from around $100 to $300 since one or two keys would pay for it. See these popular ones. Anybody have any of them?

Handy Baby $120

Xhorse Max $300

Xhorse Mini $129

You forgot option 4 which is pay the dealership $100 to program the key. You've done a great job saving money throughout the process. Have the dealer program the key. Offer $100 and be done with it.

You forgot option 4 which is pay the dealership $100 to program the key. You've done a great job saving money throughout the process. Have the dealer program the key. Offer $100 and be done with it.
Great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Really? Isn't the whole point of this forum is to show DIY options? If I pay the dealership $100 to program the key, what about the next time I need a key? Another $100? Not to mention the time and inconvenience of going to and waiting at the dealer. If I can buy a key cloner for $100-$300 it would be paid off after 1-3 keys and rest are free. If I do half a dozen keys a year, I'm still way ahead.

Reactions: D60
You should try the MooGooGuyPan B7000 Lazer, it make quality of life high for you!

Was going to cheap out and get the first one, but "Handy Baby" sounds pretty contrived. Ordered the second one, not that Xhorse sounds much better.

When I needed an extra key for a ford, I bought a blank keyfob on amazon for ten bucks, and had a local locksmith cut and program it. He charged me 50 bucks, and he had that exact Xhorse item you showed.

You don't need to go to the dealer most independent locksmiths can do it.

When I needed an extra key for a ford, I bought a blank keyfob on amazon for ten bucks, and had a local locksmith cut and program it. He charged me 50 bucks, and he had that exact Xhorse item you showed.

You don't need to go to the dealer most independent locksmiths can do it.
Ford vs. VW. That's $100 difference.

Ford vs. VW. That's $100 difference.
Maybe you should focus on Ford and Mazda. With Forscan, you can actually add and delete keys to the system for free, no need for a key programmer.

Also you can negotiate the price. I did get a Ford key programmed a long while ago before I knew about Forscan and I found a dealer that only charged me a half hour of labor instead of an hour like the rest of the dealers because I told the dealer I already had a chip key just needed it programmed.

I've used the ebay SBB pro2 key programmer (clone of the original SBB) and the Xtool X100 Pro2. I wouldn't recommend the cheaper SBB clone as it simply would not connect to the ecu of a couple cars. The Xtool is a better tool, has better coverage, will handle a lot of the newer keyless smart keys. Euro cars are tough as many of them use rather complex immobilizers that a lot of the non pro machines won't touch. The Xtool will do some VW/Audi up to the mid 00's but doesn't cover any Mercedes, BMW or Volvo. The people that do it for a living will have multiple machines since even the pro machines will have gaps and glitches.

Ended up buying the Xhorse Mini for $115 and got it yesterday. There is a learning curve to using it, especially on keys like VW where the data has to be sent to and retrieved from a server over the internet which itself can take an hour or more if there are others ahead of you. It took some time to figure out but I was able to clone the key, so I went from having just one key to having a second fully functioning one. The VW dealer wanted an hour labor or about $130 to program a second key, so this tool more than paid for itself.

Xhorse.JPG

187Keys.jpg

Back