Two working replacement KIA smart keys, $111 OTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
More of a PSA for KIA owners that the remotes off Ebay are fine and you don't need to take them to a KIA dealer for programming. Bought two remotes from Ebay for $100. They were touted as original electronics whose previous program was wiped clean and then put in a new aftermarket case. I was more comfortable with this than the Chinese clones at half the price, but now that I see how easy they are to program, I might try those next. For programming you just need a mid-level scan tool any shop or advanced DIY'er would have, and a PIN code for the car. I went to two KIA dealers, both the parts and service departments asking for the PIN code, and they had no idea what I was talking about. The service department said they have to connect the car to their computer for that and they could program the key for $120. No thanks. The PIN is based on the car's VIN, so Ebay to the rescue again. There are multiple listings for key code services and I found someone from Egypt for $11. You don't need any federal locksmith license either like some have said. With the PIN code and my scan tool I got both keys programmed in 5 minutes. You will also have to cut the metal key but I also have an Ebay laser key cutting machine so it didn't cost anything for that.

So if you have a friend with a scan tool or your car is in the shop for anything requiring a scan tool hookup, it shouldn't cost much or anything to get it done. Plus cutting the metal keys is optional and assume you already at least one of those.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

I plan on doing something similar with my escape.

Picked up an aftermarket key from amazon for 9 dollars with fob. Going to have it cut for a few bucks at a locksmith, and programming it myself with FORscan.

An alternative was a local mobile key guy who told me $75 to cut and program the key. Ford dealer wanted $249 for key programmed.

"You will also have to cut the metal key but I also have an Ebay laser key cutting machine so it didn't cost anything for that."

Nice info but a major stumbling block here.

How much for this machine that didn't cost anything?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back