Cloned an older Honda transponder key

Maybe this helps someone here that complained of the high price of dealer programming and prices for new keys. My 2003 Honda Insight only came with one key. If you loose that, you probably have to replace the entire transponder module, get that programmed plus get new keys and program those. Something like $500-$1000 at the dealer. I bought these $6 keys off ebay,

I have a key cutter to cut them but many hardware stores or locksmiths will cut them for a few bucks. Then I tried to program them with a scan tool and then with a key programmer. Neither would take. Then reading one feedback comment on the listing mentioned they can't be programmed but can only be cloned. Well ok, I still have the cloning tool from when I made a key for my Jetta a few years ago. It was about $100 or less than the cost of programming at a VW dealer.

You have an xhorse app on your phone, and then with bluetooth, pair to the tool. Then insert the original key in the tool to read the chip, and insert the new key to write it's chip with the original key's data. Takes 10 seconds. Put the key in the car and it starts right up.

... My 2003 Honda Insight only came with one key. If you loose that, you probably have to replace the entire transponder module, get that programmed plus get new keys and program those. Something like $500-$1000 at the dealer. I bought these $6 keys off ebay,
If you have no keys, it is more likely you only need to acquire the correct (compatible) keys and pay the shop or a locksmith to cut and program them in, no transponder replacement necessary.

^ Sources? I think that only applies to the DIY Owner's method of adding more keys, the function built into the vehicle and probably in the owner's manual.

The shops would typically use Honda i-HDS (or just HDS for an older vehicle) and looks like there's a $15 addt'l charge per key.

That doesn't necessarily mean an unscrupulous shop won't think they have you over a barrel and make up a story about why your wallet is going to bleed to get your vehicle working again. The HDS software subscription is not cheap (over $1K/yr) but spread out over a years' worth of vehicles doing more than just key programing....

Last edited:
Except the immobilizer requires one known key to be able to add a new one.
It used to be that the authorized dealer could contact the manufacturer and they would provide the codes to program a new key. Not sure if they still do that.

Back