2015 Focus smart key emergency blade doesn't fit.

I found the smart key that had slipped under the seat but my excitement turned to annoyance when the emergency blade wouldn't turn the door lock. If the battery was to go dead, you couldn't easily unlock the car to get in. OK no problem, I'll get a new blade cut to code. I call my Ford dealer and they say Ford doesn't keep key codes for cars over 8 years old. WTH? It's a couple bytes of memory on the Ford mainframe for crying out loud. Any other source for the code? My other option is just to replace the lock cylinder which would come with keys like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/375282978753?

I found the smart key that had slipped under the seat but my excitement turned to annoyance when the emergency blade wouldn't turn the door lock. If the battery was to go dead, you couldn't easily unlock the car to get in. OK no problem, I'll get a new blade cut to code. I call my Ford dealer and they say Ford doesn't keep key codes for cars over 8 years old. WTH? It's a couple bytes of memory on the Ford mainframe for crying out loud. Any other source for the code? My other option is just to replace the lock cylinder which would come with keys like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/375282978753?
Yup, its actually 10 years to the build date of the vehicle. My 2014 Mustang and my mom's 2014 Fusion are both blown out of the system.

Also there could be a chance the cylinder was replaced at some point built to a different cut code.

Also I am an absolute jerk when it comes to pulling key codes. There is a form that has to be filled out and we have to be provided proof of ownership and matching photo ID. I refuse to do it remotely too.

Try some WD-40, it's not uncommon for the lock cylinder to be frozen from non use.

I'm not familiar with newer Ford keys but that doesn't look anything like the remote key in your other post. What does the blade in your remote look like?

I'm having the same issue with the Highlander. These are OEM Toyota fobs/keys. Haven't chased this down yet. The odd thing is the keys don't fit into the glove box keyhole.

The part number for a lock cylinder kit is AM5Z-18168-B and I see it fits hundreds of Fords from 2012-23. I can probably find a car in the junkyard with that lock and key to swap over? Or can I take apart my existing lock cylinder and make the key I have now, fit, by moving around the wafers? Heck, I could remove them all and be able to use a screwdriver to open the car. You still need the remote to start it, and who is going to steal it anyway?

Got the lock out of the door. Now to take it apart.

lock.jpg

My 2015 Camry warns me when the key fob battery is getting low. I've used that emergency once just to see if it worked.

Locksmith?
Locksmiths have access to a system that provides key codes for older vehicles. I was going to sign up for it, but you need a locksmith license and a bond. Plus a lot of the times when we cut a key off code for an older vehicle the keys don't work because the cylinders are worn, especially ignition cylinders on older trucks.

Locksmiths have access to a system that provides key codes for older vehicles. I was going to sign up for it, but you need a locksmith license and a bond. Plus a lot of the times when we cut a key off code for an older vehicle the keys don't work because the cylinders are worn, especially ignition cylinders on older trucks.
I was gonna say, they do have them
They just make it a pain to give them

GM is much better in this regard, they've got most key codes from 1991 to present, and my local dealer hands it out to any decent person with appropriate title/registration/ID in hand
He cut me a key on the spot for $20, most fair
$27.45 just for keycode lookup is an L 😔

Ford "has" the keycodes for all my current vehicles in signature, they just won't share them
Tis life 🙄

Back