Honda duplicate key hack for smart key fob

Nayov

I'm looking for a cheap way to make a duplicate chip for a Honda with the smart key fob entry system.

It's keyless, but comes with a key, built into the fob incase its battery is dead, that will unlock the door but of course not start it as there's no ignition switch, just push button. So, if I lose the only fob, I'm in big trouble.

Can I have a conventional chip key made copied from the fob? The car will start with a dead key fob battery if held up against the push button and my thinking is I can hold the conventional chip key to the push button to start it. The only stumbling block I can think of is if it's possible program the key from the fob and to find a willing place to entertain my idea.

I've seen stores online and in strip malls now where all they do is make replacement keys. If anyone would know it is them.

I would like to know the answer to this as well because an economy key with a chip is a good backup vs a $200 fob.

Give these guys a call:

OP, you mean the laser cut steel key? Ive seen good shops duplicate that kind of key for MB cars with machining tools. I’d look for a locksmith that can do it, then an MB Indy or machinist…

It might be possible to clone a transponder onto a chip key. In my Toyota manual it tells you that if the transponder battery is dead, to open the door with the regular key and hold the transponder directly under the start button, and apparently there is a chip reader there that will read it. Does your Honda manual say this also?

I never put 2 and 2 together, but maybe I should look into this as well - I have 2 transponders, but would be happy with another chip key.

OP, you mean the laser cut steel key? Ive seen good shops duplicate that kind of key for MB cars with machining tools. I’d look for a locksmith that can do it, then an MB Indy or machinist…
No, that's not the problem because I can make a copy of it from the "emergency" key in the fob and open the door, but that's it.

In my Toyota manual it tells you that if the transponder battery is dead, to open the door with the regular key and hold the transponder directly under the start button, and apparently there is a chip reader there that will read it. Does your Honda manual say this also?
Yes, exactly the same in the Honda manual. I'd assume all cars with push button start, too.

Geez, what the heck? I guess these things are only $20?! (2015 Fit) Plus programming which is expected.

But what in the world is this for $950?

Geez, what the heck? I guess these things are only $20?! (2015 Fit) Plus programming which is expected.

But what in the world is this for $950?

That's insane for $900.. but then again I've seen crazy high prices like that on ebay for lots of things.. Searching for the Honda part, I found this Honda dealer in michigan asking $128 for that same key!

And the other key is just a chinese knockoff. Honda has been raising a lot of their parts prices over the past couple of years. It was the same time they announce they were not making that much $$$ on their automotive division! Personally for $20 I'd take the chance and see if the no-name worked well.. Just make sure that emergency spare key isn't some weak metal that could break off..

For a Chinese counterfeit it looks so. That may or may not be good enough as an emergency spare, if programmed, battery removed, and left in a safe place. Question is what is required to program the key?

My Gen Coupe has the keyless PB and fob. I lost one and the only way to replace them is to either get one from a Hyundai dealer or buy a renewed on off eBay and have it programmed by the dealer.

The electronic innards of the fob have to be new and virgin.

I spoke with the key guy at Ace Hardware who was willing to listen to my schemes and said that my hack (cheap key with a chip as a dupe from the proximity key) won't work as far as he knows. Then I asked him about the $20 eBay fob, to which he said it may or may not work but for a $30 charge, he'd try to program it, with no guarantee.

I asked him what the OTD price would be if I bought the fob from them: $300. As accommodating and chatty as he was, they have no incentive to make the eBay fob work and for sure they'd say "It don't work."

My experience with a locksmith is a hard pass on eBay keys and their services are very expensive. Maybe next I'll call the dealership and ask for the dupe fob price and how much the worst case scenario would be - tow in because of lost keys.

Any locksmith with XHorse or Ilco Silica equipment can clone keys onto a “blank” aftermarket transponder. The XHorse multi-chips and Ilco “universal” head ones are popular.

I was toying with the idea of buying a XHorse XDI Mini/Micro that pairs up with an Android phone/tablet and cloning my transponder and keeping it in a hidden spot in the car, then using a mechanical key to lock the car - that can get wet.

This thing claims to do it for most honda models, only $50 on amazon and comes with a lifetime subscription for your car.

then buy one of those blank $20 ebay keys

I'm looking for a cheap way to make a duplicate chip for a Honda with the smart key fob entry system.

It's keyless, but comes with a key, built into the fob incase its battery is dead, that will unlock the door but of course not start it as there's no ignition switch, just push button. So, if I lose the only fob, I'm in big trouble.

Can I have a conventional chip key made copied from the fob? The car will start with a dead key fob battery if held up against the push button and my thinking is I can hold the conventional chip key to the push button to start it. The only stumbling block I can think of is if it's possible program the key from the fob and to find a willing place to entertain my idea.

You can confirm it can do it here:

https://autel.com/us/vehicle-coverage/

Select MaxiAP200 in the dropdown menu

Enter your car model.

Here's my HR-V for example

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 4.43.52 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back