whats the best oil out there?

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
More mechanics use Valvoline products in their own cars than any other oil. I certainly do. Doesn't that tell you something?
Nope, not without a source of the info.

First off. .
welcome2.gif

Well you really have many choices of Dexos approved oils. Pennzoil Gold, Quaker State Enhanced Durability, and of course Mobil Super Synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, etc..
The real deal is any approved oils run in a proper interval will serve you and your truck very very well.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Amsoil haters aside, it IS good stuff

Do I need a prescription from the doctor or a note from someone to get Amsoil. I've never seen it anywhere. At least you can pick up redline in the speed shop or Harley shop. If it were that good wouldn't be easier to access?

More mechanics use Valvoline products in their own cars than any other oil. I certainly do. Doesn't that tell you something?
All that tells you is that mechanics use Valvoline. That's it.

I'd be willing to bet most mechanics know pretty much nothing about oil, many of them think that just because your car has high mileage you gotta step it up to 10w40.

Idiocy

The power of advertising?

Maybe Peer Pressure?

As an attempted Argument from Authority, this is pretty weak (thin!) sauce (oil).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Amsoil haters aside, it IS good stuff

Do I need a prescription from the doctor or a note from someone to get Amsoil. I've never seen it anywhere. At least you can pick up redline in the speed shop or Harley shop. If it were that good wouldn't be easier to access?

Nope, you just show a little bit of initiative and plan ahead so you can order online and get it delivered to your door in less than 5 days.

There also exists a network of things called "dealers", which will save you the shipping and I bet there is one close to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Nope, not without a source of the info.

Even then it still wouldn't. Maybe they just give the biggest discounts to shops. Or vacations to Cancun. Or maybe their reps are just the nicest in the business.

Any syn with a Dexos cert. will keep the engine spotless if used at the proper interval. Mobil 1 0/5w-20 EP is on rollback to $25.xx now at Wally.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Best synthetic no matter the cost?

Redline.

/thread

I'll have to second this as well. To my layman's knowledge of motor oil,I'd think ester base stocks have to be extremely high end,if not top of the line,right? Don't esters surpass pao's? From what I understand,esters don't need the vis modifiers that grp III's and pao's need (at least that's my understanding).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Redline.

/thread

I'll have to second this as well. To my layman's knowledge of motor oil,I'd think ester base stocks have to be extremely high end,if not top of the line,right? Don't esters surpass pao's? From what I understand,esters don't need the vis modifiers that grp III's and pao's need (at least that's my understanding).

The higher the group number the better, right? Well, except for the fact that Group III carries additives better than group IV... and group III and group IV both hold TBN better than group V... and...

:p

Redline is good oil for what its intended for: pushing the engine hard in competition. For a daily driver, IMO, not so much. Viscosity index of Group III oils can be really really high these days, so I don't think there's nearly the advantage with ester base stocks that there was 10-15 years ago.

Honestly, I don't think you could slide an atom between the real-world performance of most good oils these days, and more and more are a blend of groups III, IV, and V (sometimes only at additive doses) to get the benefits of each. For a GM v8 that's ridiculously easy on oil, you can hardly lose.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Redline.

/thread

The higher the group number the better, right? Well, except for the fact that Group III carries additives better than group IV... and group III and group IV both hold TBN better than group V... and...

:p

Redline is good oil for what its intended for: pushing the engine hard in competition. For a daily driver, IMO, not so much. Viscosity index of Group III oils can be really really high these days, so I don't think there's nearly the advantage with ester base stocks that there was 10-15 years ago.

Honestly, I don't think you could slide an atom between the real-world performance of most good oils these days, and more and more are a blend of groups III, IV, and V (sometimes only at additive doses) to get the benefits of each. For a GM v8 that's ridiculously easy on oil, you can hardly lose.

What about in a rear diff? How well do ester based gear oils do compared to others? I've been thinking about giving Redline 75W110 a try.

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy16
I currently have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 LtZ71 with the 5.3 and I'm looking for the best synthetic oil on the market no matter the cost. I have run Mobil 1 0w-20 (factory weight) in that truck for the longest time but about a year ago have branched out and tried Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (same weight) and Amsoil (same weight) and have stuck with Amsoil for the last few oil changes. The only thing with Amsoil is the certifications that it doesn't have like (API, Dexos etc!!) and others as well....is this something to worry about?.....I do drive the truck about 500 miles a week and rely on the vehicles on board oil meter to tell me when it time to change it out, as far as oil filters I only use the Amoils filters... I would like to pass this truck on to my son when its time for him which is another reason I only want the bestk, so please give me all the info you can, Thank you....

You've been using great oils all along. I would just continue to use dexos-certified full synthetics and change oil according to the OLM. I would lean toward M1 EP 0w20, but its extended interval advantage is wasted when changing according to the OLM. Same with AMSoil SS. I used M1 exclusively for the first 150k miles in my LS1, and it has done very well for me.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Olas said:

Redline.

/thread

Redline is good oil for what its intended for: pushing the engine hard in competition. For a daily driver, IMO, not so much.

I use Red Line in my daily driver cars and it works just fine especially for longer oil change intervals with stop and go driving. Friends around here use it as well with excellent results.

The newspaper guy here in his 10 year old Civic does once a year, usually 25-30K miles with Red Line 5w-30 and a NAPA oil filter. He's hard on tires, brakes and the clutch but has no problems with the engine oil or Red Line MTL for the tranny.

My Honda has been around for a long time and is doing well on Red Line.

I'll have a 10K sample coming up in a couple of months. The interval is 10K and the Mobil 1 filter gets changed every other oil change.

I have no idea where this Red Line is no good for daily drivers stuff comes from, certainly not form people that know about and use the oil. Maybe it's from experts that know things that no one else knows.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Redline.

/thread
What does Redline do that Amsoil, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, or Castrol Edge will not? Answer--nothing.

OP - there is no "best".

It is *much* more thermally stable, better oxidative resistance, doesn't turn to milkshake with alky, higher AW & EP content, doesn't shear, doesn't have VIIs, and weight for weight it has a higher HTHS than any on the list.

The term ' you get what you pay for ' wasn't invented for redline, but it certainly applies.

It doesn't meet specs but neither does canola and we know how well that protects..
It doesn't meet spec but neither does berrymans and we know how well that cleans..

OP doesn't talk about wanting longest cat life, or lowest OCI price, he wants to keep it as good as possible for his son and with respect to engine life, in the context being asked about, redline is 'best'.

(disclaimer - I'm not suggesting that redline contains berrymans or canola, or that they're interchangeable or whatever)

Last edited:
Back