whats the best oil out there?

Amsoil could be the best choice depending on your position in the pyramid...

Alot of factors determine best and frankly those factors are different for everyone. Look at price, availability, manufacture specifications, and intended use...I.e extended drains.

I had a 15 z71 and my olm would reset around 7500 with my driving style. This engine calls for 0w20 and GM is very clear that this what you should run period. For me any dexos blend would have worked fine but none were available in the correct grade. I myself ran Mobil 1 as it was the cheapest and easiest 0w20 to procure.
My advise...go to A local Walmart and see what they stock in 0w20 because they are all different. Beyond this it doesn't matter

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I have no idea where this Red Line is no good for daily drivers stuff comes from, certainly not form people that know about and use the oil. Maybe it's from experts that know things that no one else knows.

I didn't say "no good," I said "not so much." I use Redline products, don't get me wrong (especially their gear oils and manual trans fluids). I guess if "cost is no object" then its still near the top among engine oils, but I just don't see it as head-and-shoulders BETTER than the others- especially in the viscosity recommended for the OP's car. There are great 0w20 oils on the shelf at every parts store, and M1 ESP would do what Redline is doing in your newspaper guy's Civic just as well I bet. The days of predominantly ester base stock engine oils being clearly superior are years in the rearview mirror, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Amsoil haters aside, it IS good stuff

Do I need a prescription from the doctor or a note from someone to get Amsoil. I've never seen it anywhere. At least you can pick up redline in the speed shop or Harley shop. If it were that good wouldn't be easier to access?

Nope, you just show a little bit of initiative and plan ahead so you can order online and get it delivered to your door in less than 5 days.

There also exists a network of things called "dealers", which will save you the shipping and I bet there is one close to you.

Every NAPA store in my area stocks a large selection of Amsoil products. A number of other auto parts stores do as well. There's even a rather large retail store chain here in the upper midwest (Fleet Farm) that carries Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Olas
OP doesn't talk about wanting longest cat life, or lowest OCI price, he wants to keep it as good as possible for his son and with respect to engine life, in the context being asked about, redline is 'best'.
Every other oil specified for the engine can do the exact same thing. Redline is not some magic elixir that extends engine life past any of the other oils that I mentioned.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Amsoil haters aside, it IS good stuff

Do I need a prescription from the doctor or a note from someone to get Amsoil. I've never seen it anywhere. At least you can pick up redline in the speed shop or Harley shop. If it were that good wouldn't be easier to access?

Nope, you just show a little bit of initiative and plan ahead so you can order online and get it delivered to your door in less than 5 days.

There also exists a network of things called "dealers", which will save you the shipping and I bet there is one close to you.

Every NAPA store in my area stocks a large selection of Amsoil products. A number of other auto parts stores do as well. There's even a rather large retail store chain here in the upper midwest (Fleet Farm) that carries Amsoil.

thumbsup2.gif
Must be a good salesman, lots of demand for sleds and such, or both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd be willing to bet most mechanics know pretty much nothing about oil, many of them think that just because your car has high mileage you gotta step it up to 10w40.

Idiocy

I think I've read statements like that on this forum, though.... 'with over 100k you should go up a grade'. ...or something.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Olas
Best synthetic no matter the cost?

Redline.

/thread
What does Redline do that Amsoil, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, or Castrol Edge will not? Answer--nothing.

OP - there is no "best".

High cost with little or no OEMm API or ACEA approvals.

Best for what "to many variables to cover"

Last edited:
thanks for all the responses.....As far as Castrol and Valvoline I'm gonna stay away just for personal preference. I wanna like/use Amsoil stuff just a little concerned about the certifications it doesn't have even thought they claim its higher then the certs. No I'm not high up on the pyramid or sell it myself just like the stuff I guess. and with Redline the report someone posted with the oil test the results didn't seem good to me, Am i Wrong? Someone also recommended Motul oil but I never heard anyone using it or seen it for sale at the stores.

Originally Posted By: razel
I'll go easy on Chevy. It's his/her 1st post. I agree with above. Best for the average joe that does 3-5k intervals is buy the cheapest major branded oil that says API SN on the back. Oils have been fantastic roughly when the SL/SM ratings and we're in SN now.

As for best oil, there isn't one. Different engines will rough up different oils different way. Add the other variable of the human foot and type of commute it encounters and your answers will vary.

Taking that into account, my answer would still be the cheapest SN rated oil and that you change often enough for your car's needs. Non-synth for 7.5k interval. Synth above.
This is pretty much fact . That is what I do.

Also with Amsoil I want to point out that I do hear some noise changes in the motor like a little higher valve tick, and a slight whistle noise when starting up....I know it might sound strange but its the truth....Also any know/like Shell helix

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy16
thanks for all the responses.....As far as Castrol and Valvoline I'm gonna stay away just for personal preference. I wanna like/use Amsoil stuff just a little concerned about the certifications it doesn't have even thought they claim its higher then the certs. No I'm not high up on the pyramid or sell it myself just like the stuff I guess. and with Redline the report someone posted with the oil test the results didn't seem good to me, Am i Wrong? Someone also recommended Motul oil but I never heard anyone using it or seen it for sale at the stores.

To add to the confusion, I am an ex Mobil Oil employee. (not an oil engineer) However, I did occasionally work with the engineers for aviation lubricants. This much is true. Amsoil, Redline and yes, even Motul purchase synthetic base stocks from Mobil. This is why Motul 10W-40 5100, Amsoil 10W40 and Mobil 1 racing 4t 10W40 all have extremely similar specs. In fact, I suspect the Motul and M1 are exactly the same oil.

I stick with M1, and 5K oil changes. My results have been superb throughout the years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Redline is the "best" at emptying your wallet.

Motul 300V is more expensive than Redline. By about $5 a quart.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I stick with M1, and 5K oil changes. My results have been superb throughout the years.

Given your 5,000 mile OCI results would have been just as impressive had you used the cheapest conventional oil on the market, I can't say I'm terribly impressed. Long story short, a 5,000 mile OCI when running synthetic oil of pretty much any stripe in this day and age, is absurd.

I,ve never said M1 oils are the best, but are among them. IMO. I noticed Cujet does 5K OCIs, and no doubt you will never have engine lubricated problems doing that, however I do 10K OCIs with M1 oils, and to date have never had a lubricated engine, trans, or PS pump failure. That goes back to 1978.

Last edited:
Back