whats the best oil out there?

I currently have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 LtZ71 with the 5.3 and I'm looking for the best synthetic oil on the market no matter the cost. I have run Mobil 1 0w-20 (factory weight) in that truck for the longest time but about a year ago have branched out and tried Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (same weight) and Amsoil (same weight) and have stuck with Amsoil for the last few oil changes. The only thing with Amsoil is the certifications that it doesn't have like (API, Dexos etc!!) and others as well....is this something to worry about?.....I do drive the truck about 500 miles a week and rely on the vehicles on board oil meter to tell me when it time to change it out, as far as oil filters I only use the Amoils filters... I would like to pass this truck on to my son when its time for him which is another reason I only want the bestk, so please give me all the info you can, Thank you....

For the fact of it having certifications, I would say your best choice would be Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20...bit 'stronger' than the regular AFE 0W-20.

Your truck will run hundreds of thousands of miles on any name brand synthetic oil. I would stick to an oil meeting API SN & DEXOS requirements. Personally, I would use Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 or Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Valvoline SynPower, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, etc, etc, just pick one & your truck won't care. They're all awesome oils. There's no need to spend extra money on Amsoil IMO that apparently doesn't meet DEXOS, if what you said is true.

I know Dexos is a brand oil companies have to pay GM to license their brand but it basically states you should use a full synthetic. as far as the best definiton = "of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality'
smile.gif

I'll go easy on Chevy. It's his/her 1st post. I agree with above. Best for the average joe that does 3-5k intervals is buy the cheapest major branded oil that says API SN on the back. Oils have been fantastic roughly when the SL/SM ratings and we're in SN now.

As for best oil, there isn't one. Different engines will rough up different oils different way. Add the other variable of the human foot and type of commute it encounters and your answers will vary.

Taking that into account, my answer would still be the cheapest SN rated oil and that you change often enough for your car's needs. Non-synth for 7.5k interval. Synth above.

Last edited:
Might want to consider that certain GM engines experienced premature engine problems with the Oil Life Monitor's intervals. The worlds best oil won't matter if the oil is too infrequently changed.

I am not a fan of excessively long oil change intervals. Especially for conventional, pushrod engines.

Amsoil haters aside, it IS good stuff and you won't go wrong following the OLM. If you wanted to spend less, you could step down to XL or perhaps even OE since your interval is probably under 10k miles. If you're interested in extending your OCI, SS is your best bet.

As far as certifications, just because Amsoil hasn't paid for the test doesn't mean it won't meet or exceed the requirements.

The other oils you mentioned are solid choices also; with any of the three and all the highway driving you do, a 10k mile OCI should be very doable.

Last edited:
Anything dexos is more than enough for you, but if you're already using M1, but still want something better, why not step up to M1 EP?

I think Amsoil has been proven to make a quality product without certification.
Foget API ILSAC and start using ACEA 5w30 BMW APPROVED LL01 A3B4-08 or better stuff for 1 year OCI in the late fall. ILASC stuff is a marginal performing lube - if your interested in extending engine life.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Best synthetic no matter the cost?

Redline.

/thread
What does Redline do that Amsoil, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, or Castrol Edge will not? Answer--nothing.

OP - there is no "best".

Back