Oil with best anti-wear for Chevy 3.6 timing chain protection?

My truck uses Chevy's direct inject 3.6 with timing chains. There are plenty of stories over the internet of timing chain stretch on these engines. Most "experts" attribute that to too long OCIs and dirty oil.

I like to keep my vehicles for forever, and a timing chain job is not something I want to undertake.

I figure selecting an oil with the absolute best anti-wear properties, and frequent OCIs is my best defense against timing chain stretch.

I recognize any oil meeting the dexos spec should be sufficient, but certainly some oils are better than others specifically for anti wear.

Thoughts?

My reccomendations in order. HPL PCMO 5w-30, Valvoline EP, Mobil 1 EP, PUP, Castrol Edge and super tech/house brands.

edit: if you aren’t worried about warranty issues, a euro 5w-40 is worth looking into.

Last edited:
My friend Bill has told me there is one very common condition they see when a GM 3.6L comes in with a stretched timing chain. The owner doesn't check the oil level and the level is low. The chain wears partially because of a lack of lubrication. There are likely other factors in design, but the only source of lubricating oil is from the oil being picked up from the crank sprocket. When the oil level is low, very little oil gets picked up and the chain wears.

My friend Bill has told me there is one very common condition they see when a GM 3.6L comes in with a stretched timing chain. The owner doesn't check the oil level and the level is low. The chain wears partially because of a lack of lubrication. There are likely other factors in design, but the only source of lubricating oil is from the oil being picked up from the crank sprocket. When the oil level is low, very little oil gets picked up and the chain wears.

Interesting. I will definitely be keeping an eye on the level and making sure it's topped up. I have not noticed any burning up to this point, so that's good.

My truck uses Chevy's direct inject 3.6 with timing chains. There are plenty of stories over the internet of timing chain stretch on these engines. Most "experts" attribute that to too long OCIs and dirty oil.

I like to keep my vehicles for forever, and a timing chain job is not something I want to undertake.

I figure selecting an oil with the absolute best anti-wear properties, and frequent OCIs is my best defense against timing chain stretch.

I recognize any oil meeting the dexos spec should be sufficient, but certainly some oils are better than others specifically for anti wear.

Thoughts?
The LGX/LGZ doesn't have this issue. That was the older LFX engine.

Interesting. I will definitely be keeping an eye on the level and making sure it's topped up. I have not noticed any burning up to this point, so that's good.
Thicker oil tends to prevent timing chain wear better as its a function of viscosity... That and keeping it changed and full.
The LGX/LGZ doesn't have this issue. That was the older LFX engine.
What did they change?

Thicker oil tends to prevent timing chain wear better as its a function of viscosity... That and keeping it changed and full.

What did they change?
It's an entirely different engine. There is nothing similar to the previous LFX V6, which had the timing chain issue.

The 3.6 liter V6 LGX engine is part of GM’s high-feature V6 engine family. It is a clean-sheet design that shares little with the 3.6L six-cylinder LFX engine it replaces, and sets benchmarks for efficiency, refinement and durability compared to its predecessor.

LGX highlights include:

• Aluminum deep-skirt cylinder block from the LFX mill
  • An enlarged bore of 95 mm (compared to 94 mm on the LFX)
  • Enlarged bore centers of 103 mm (compared to 106 mm on the LFX)
  • An all-new cylinder head design
  • A forged steel crankshaft
  • High-strength connecting rods and pistons
  • Oil-spray piston cooling
  • Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and Auto Stop-Start system generate fuel savings of 9 percent compared to the 3.6L V6 LFX
  • Improved Variable Valve Timing (VVT) with an ‘intermediate park’ feature
  • Reshaped piston tops to promote a better mix of the air and fuel during the direct injection process
  • Relocated oil pump under the cylinder block and inside the oil pan
  • Acoustic engine cover
  • Stronger, stiffer aluminum block with increased structure in the bulkheads for superior rigidity
  • Tough, refined rotating assembly with a stiff forged-steel crankshaft, friction-reducing polymer-coated pistons and strong high-copper-content, sinter-forged connecting rods
  • New four-cam phasing system with intermediate park technology that enhances efficiency by enabling late inlet valve closing in certain conditions
  • All-new, patented “targeted” cooling system that provides strategic cooling of the engine’s hottest areas while simultaneously fostering faster warm-up to enhance efficiency
  • New, higher-flow cylinder heads that enhance direct injection performance and feature integrated exhaust manifolds
  • Revised, simplified timing drive system with cushioned chain sprockets contributing to quieter engine operation
  • All-new lubrication system with a variable-displacement, two-stage oil pump that enhances efficiency. It is located inside the oil pan, which contributes to greater noise abatement

The 3.6 liter V6 LGX engine is part of GM’s high-feature V6 engine family. It is a clean-sheet design that shares little with the 3.6L six-cylinder LFX engine it replaces, and sets benchmarks for efficiency, refinement and durability compared to its predecessor.

LGX highlights include:

• Aluminum deep-skirt cylinder block from the LFX mill
  • An enlarged bore of 95 mm (compared to 94 mm on the LFX)
  • Enlarged bore centers of 103 mm (compared to 106 mm on the LFX)
  • An all-new cylinder head design
  • A forged steel crankshaft
  • High-strength connecting rods and pistons
  • Oil-spray piston cooling
  • Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and Auto Stop-Start system generate fuel savings of 9 percent compared to the 3.6L V6 LFX
  • Improved Variable Valve Timing (VVT) with an ‘intermediate park’ feature
  • Reshaped piston tops to promote a better mix of the air and fuel during the direct injection process
  • Relocated oil pump under the cylinder block and inside the oil pan
  • Acoustic engine cover
  • Stronger, stiffer aluminum block with increased structure in the bulkheads for superior rigidity
  • Tough, refined rotating assembly with a stiff forged-steel crankshaft, friction-reducing polymer-coated pistons and strong high-copper-content, sinter-forged connecting rods
  • New four-cam phasing system with intermediate park technology that enhances efficiency by enabling late inlet valve closing in certain conditions
  • All-new, patented “targeted” cooling system that provides strategic cooling of the engine’s hottest areas while simultaneously fostering faster warm-up to enhance efficiency
  • New, higher-flow cylinder heads that enhance direct injection performance and feature integrated exhaust manifolds
  • Revised, simplified timing drive system with cushioned chain sprockets contributing to quieter engine operation
  • All-new lubrication system with a variable-displacement, two-stage oil pump that enhances efficiency. It is located inside the oil pan, which contributes to greater noise abatement
great information. should be a stout little motor.

Good stuff, thanks guys. All of my previous rigs have died due to frame rot/rust, with solid engines and trans. This is the first newer truck I've had in a long while, so I want to keep it happy and healthy.

Good stuff, thanks guys. All of my previous rigs have died due to frame rot/rust, with solid engines and trans. This is the first newer truck I've had in a long while, so I want to keep it happy and healthy.
I would simply keep up with oil changes at decent intervals, try to stick around the 5,000 mile range or below and be sure you do not run it low on oil.

Also look into Woolwax/Fluid Film to prevent a repeat on frame rot/rust for all of your vehicles, check out some videos and long term reviews on it.

Reactions: wlk
Industrial research clearly shows that particulate/contaminant free, 30 viscosity oil maximizes chain life. The idea that the chains in our engines are somehow different vs. those in industrial use, is incorrect. The very same chain designs are used, with the same outcomes. When operated in contaminated, diluted to thin with fuel/fuel evaporates, and/or ultra low viscosity lubricants, chain life suffers. This is why we see so many reports of chain problems now.

Some modern engines now have chains with coated pins, in an attempt at extending life with 0W-16 and 0W-20 lubricants. That alone tells us that chains have reduced life with low vis.

Switch to a euro oil, it's better than d1 g3. An oil that's ll-01 or ll-04 will protect chains better. I'm using quaker state euro 5w-40 that's ll-01, porsche a40, and mb 229.5 rated instead of the the dexos 0w-20 my 2021 escalade asks for. I know it's not a chain wear sensitive engine but it started to burn 0w-20 at the 14k mark and i switched to it since it's better all round. Mpg is only 0.1 lower per tank average. It's quieter at hot idle too.

Back