What’s the best apocalypse car?

So where ya gonna go and what are you gonna do when you get there. How many years of absolute misery. No ones mentioned wood fired steam power for propulsion and electricity production. 7 or 8 decades ago Popular Science had plans to convert a 2 stroke boat motor into a steam engine. Me, I`ll find a community of smart level headed people to find a way forward.

So where ya gonna go and what are you gonna do when you get there. How many years of absolute misery. No ones mentioned wood fired steam power for propulsion and electricity production. 7 or 8 decades ago Popular Science had plans to convert a 2 stroke boat motor into a steam engine. Me, I`ll find a community of smart level headed people to find a way forward.
I just did - steam power.

There is a military version diesel KLR650 dirt bike, also Arctic cat made a diesel ATV for a while. I guess my tractor would get me places at 26km/h... It has the advantage being able to clear the road easily, or fix the road. It has some electronics but its mechanical indirect injection so I think it could be setup to run without them?
Probably the best vehicle after a horse is one of these guys. No battery needed, and with a few implements you are farming, and its your going to town rig.

There's only one correct answer and it's the Toyota Hilux, here's a picture of one in the service of the Soviet Army in Afghanistan in the 80's. The Soviet's came and left, the American's came and left, but the Hilux's stayed.

ETmiJ5qUcAAT7tZ.jpg

Or one of these rigs, when you want your 2 wheel tractor to have 4wd. A Patpat?
Some how I don't think these guys in central Asia somewhere won't be bothered too much if an EMP went off...

Honestly, I think a getaway car is a bit moot. If society collapses, it's not just where you live but everywhere. There's no place to run, and you'll be going in uncharted waters. Probably a hidden bunker would be a better option so you can wait out the initial mayhem and of course those with getaway cars have pushed theirs into running and are off.

You don't want half plastic gizmo laden technological baskets of rubbish.

You want durable, simple and rugged with sleep and storage space.

Early-mid 90's Tahoe.

Honestly, I think a getaway car is a bit moot. If society collapses, it's not just where you live but everywhere. There's no place to run, and you'll be going in uncharted waters. Probably a hidden bunker would be a better option so you can wait out the initial mayhem and of course those with getaway cars have pushed theirs into running and are off.
But you still want a phone so you can post to social media in case anyone is still alive.

If this apocalypse knocked out electronics then all roads will be blocked by dead vehicles so any carb'd car would be useless for off road use. So carb'd truck/suvs are the only real option if a group/family is traveling together. The problem with that option is the engine/tranny may not need any attention for years for what about the rest of it? Off roading will break something and were are you going to find a replacement part for a 70's or later vehicle (or tire for that matter)? A horse ( with wagon for family) is actually the best option, no fuel needed (grass/water is free), no flat tire to worry about, not going to get stuck in mud, will cross a stream/river chest deep. Generations before us used them to get around before vehicles (or roads for that matter) were around so we know they can do it. .02

045ECD8D-D242-414E-976D-19A20DF4711F.jpeg

The point is being useful overall and blending in to not be noticed. Carry enough fuel to getaway from the trouble. I’d toss my 7.5 gallons in cans I can easily go 500 miles. It carry’s lots of stuff and can go places you would not expect.

While my Jeep would be better, it holds little cargo and would be a targeted vehicle.

Ok, now on a serious note - Honda Element with AWD, Manual transmission, and rooftop tent. Interior is the size of a small NY apartment. With rooftop tent you now have sleeping arrangements for 4 people comfortably (2 in the tent, and 2 inside either on the bed seats, or on the floor)
It won't crawl rocks, but AWD is very capable of getting you out of any slick/muddy/nasty situation with ease. Even easier when equipped with good all terrain or mud terrain tires. Or the tracks from picture below, if you can find a set in the apocalypse. K24 engine under the hood will keep this box moving with 20-25 MPG average. Great solution for a reliable/spacious/capable bugout vehicle.

View attachment 94642View attachment 94643View attachment 94644View attachment 94645
I don't know about markets outside the U.S.A., but the manual transmission was not available with AWD. Still like your choice.

I don't know about markets outside the U.S.A., but the manual transmission was not available with AWD. Still like your choice.
My cousin has one AWD/Manual Element. And I drove close to 20 of AWD/Manual Elements when I used to work in CarMax back in the day. Charlotte, North Carolina is where I'm located and we still got tons of these on the road in that configuration. The only model of Element that did not come with AWD is Element SC. That one came in Manual/Auto and FWD only.
Here is a Manual/AWD Element for sale.

Here is a normal "rugged" Element, in the elements. Outdoorsy camping rig. Came as AWD/FWD, auto/manual.
05802131000002.jpg

And here is the Element SC. Fully painted body panels, FWD only, more of a city commuter.
2007-honda-element-sc-hits-the-streets-photo-105747-s-original.jpg

Last edited:
Back