What’s the best apocalypse car?

I saw a video discussing government overreach on newer models, where authorities could literally disable said vehicles remotely even though the vehicle is owned outright. It got me thinking, there are a lot of preppers out there, preppers presuming that civilization collapse is just around the corner. Suppose, hypothetically such a scenario came to pass. There would be two life threatening considerations: proliferation of violent crime and famine. If fuel scarcity was also an issue, what vehicle would be the ultimate apocalypse vehicle? Maybe a tank? But it’s fuel consumption is not good, and it needs multiple people to operate it. Maybe a hybrid vehicle? That would be difficult to fix if it breaks down.

What specific model car would be the best suited for being the last man standing in an apocalypse? Maybe a getaway vehicle would be a good way to put it. Getaway from a hunkered down situation.

W123 240D or 300D. Everything is mechanicaly controlled. Can run on anything, diesel, kerosene, vegetable oil used or new, used engine oil and ATF etc. Also, diesel can be stored for way longer than gas. A manual transmission one can be started without even having an electrical system in the car.

The smallest 4x4 SUV that is still body on frame with long range transfer case select.
Powerful enough to push other cars out of the way in a pinch.
Reliable+ tough

I nominate Nissan Xterra 4x4.

toyota Hilux diesel, I’m told they’re not picky about much of anything, drove a few in Afghanistan when I was in the army, loved them.

E0522DA6-411C-4FDA-A73A-F8F49DC9F62C.jpeg

Got quite a few apocalyptic hoopties in this thread:

Solar powered Tesla. Recharging the main batteries may take 300 business days, but solar trickle charge should at least provide enough power for HVAC. Park it away from civilization and use as air-conditioned shelter at night. Hunt around while it charges during the day. Old Tesla roadster supposedly isn't as easily wirelessly controlled, but good luck finding one.

90441928_125481389040828_6960268062950344125_n-640x640.jpg
90963613_216359046376535_2274450788005085552_n-640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, now on a serious note - Honda Element with AWD, Manual transmission, and rooftop tent. Interior is the size of a small NY apartment. With rooftop tent you now have sleeping arrangements for 4 people comfortably (2 in the tent, and 2 inside either on the bed seats, or on the floor)
It won't crawl rocks, but AWD is very capable of getting you out of any slick/muddy/nasty situation with ease. Even easier when equipped with good all terrain or mud terrain tires. Or the tracks from picture below, if you can find a set in the apocalypse. K24 engine under the hood will keep this box moving with 20-25 MPG average. Great solution for a reliable/spacious/capable bugout vehicle.

93b560872e47e5ceab96aedf75fffbf1.jpg
585276_81_61976_o3PmymRn3.jpg
element-gal-1-1.jpg
Rubber-Track-System-Rubber-Track-Kits-for-Pickup-off-Road-Jeep.jpg

Back