I hate hail

Wow, what a drag! Sorry @OVERKILL . I have a great PDR and paint guy near here. He does all the exotics in town and since he is a small shop, the prices are excellent and the work is top notch. I have Alex on speed dial.

It will get fixed, but when you pay good money and try and take care of your vehicles, it hurts. As long as no one got hurt...

I'll be mad too. What the hail? It's summer time.

What's wrong with the weather? National nightly news pretty much starts with a bad weather report for the past 2 or 3 weeks!

Last edited:
That sucks, it happened to my sons BMW about six years back really did a number on it, it also ruined the roof of his new home and siding.
Anyway, I don’t remember the exact number but there were a lot and the shop did a Paintless dent removal on it.

It was surprising how well it came out but of course, when it happens to you, you are always going to see some imperfections to an unsuspecting person probably not.

I need to stress I can’t remember the exact number but when I speak to him I’ll ask but guessing I would say 25 or more and it came out very good.
This isn’t to say the car was the same as it used to be, but maybe with some luck if you don’t have as many it won’t be too bad or noticeable.
I still know that doesn’t make it any better.

Glue tab may work on the roof depending on how big the dent is and how much the metal has stretched . If the PDR person does have to get under it to massage it a bit, the headliner only has to be dropped enough on one side to get the rod to the dent, you’ll never know they were there.
We have a PDR guy that is a miracle worker on some of the cars that we buy from auction in Oklahoma. (Oklahoma has some hail from hell.)

These guys showed up in Calgary and did mine. They are like the travelling circus of PDR experts. Perfect job and still perfect. Completely covered by insurance minus the deductible.

CD38BA5A-2B6D-4C01-81FE-9869862479BA.png

I went through this in 2020 with my old Tacoma. Thing got pelted pretty hard. State Farm let my body shop replace the hood (OEM Toyota too on an at the time 11 year old truck) and they PDR'd the roof. They had to paint the roof due to the single stage paint cracked when they popped out all the dents, but all the paint matched perfectly. Best thing was it never showed up on Carfax. It sucks to use it, but this is why we pay for insurance.

My '04 GTO got pelted with over 80 dents. PDR made them disappear. The tech also repaired a couple door dings as a courtesy. The car came out better than before.

I have been lucky to not get hailed on very badly so far. However, I think I should keep a hard hat in my convertible - just in case.

My coworker who just moved here from out of state had a newer Colorado that looked like a golf ball. Then the transmission went out so we don’t get to see the golf ball anymore because he got rid of it.

In town I try to find a bank at the first sign of hail. Whip it into the drive thru lane (most of them have 3-4 lanes and only 1 ever open) or into a gas station. In the country, I'm looking for a tree to get under. My truck is a truck and it has it's fair share of scratches from driving in the woods, so a new scratch or 2 is no big deal if I hit a few low hanging branches. My sunroof and other glass and dents are a big deal...
We rarely get hail here but when we do it can be a major PITA. About 10 years ago it started hailing on my new Mustang. I grabbed every comforter I could find and covered it up - that house didn't have a garage.

Had a pretty good hailstorm here in FL a few years ago. Lots of damage at the car lots nearby. The PDR guys just set up tents to work under, and every Mercedes in the lot made a visit! I think they spent a month there.

On a side note, PDR guys usually charge a premium for working on aluminum panels, since they never know exactly how it's going to turn out. That being said, I had a pretty good dent in my 2014 MB on the aluminum front fenders, and I mean NASTY! When my guy was finished, you never knew that it happened at all!

In town I try to find a bank at the first sign of hail. Whip it into the drive thru lane (most of them have 3-4 lanes and only 1 ever open) or into a gas station. In the country, I'm looking for a tree to get under. My truck is a truck and it has it's fair share of scratches from driving in the woods, so a new scratch or 2 is no big deal if I hit a few low hanging branches. My sunroof and other glass and dents are a big deal...
We rarely get hail here but when we do it can be a major PITA. About 10 years ago it started hailing on my new Mustang. I grabbed every comforter I could find and covered it up - that house didn't have a garage.

Funny you mention covering your Mustang with comforters. I was a crew chief in the USAF on T-38's in the late 1980's. We actually had wing covers for the wings. Whenever there was a forecast for 1/4" hail or greater any aircraft on the ground had wing covers installed.

Got my quote from the body shop (interestingly, mine was one of the least damaged... 😳) and it's ~$4,200.00. The quote is total PDR for everything except the window trim. Interestingly the one rear damaged window moulding comes with the glass, so I guess that whole window is getting replaced.

Back