When buying a vehicle- what is the deal breaker?

Dealbreaker, some fee that shows up out of nowhere in the hundreds of dollars range, I'm ok with walking out the door.
It would be fun to be the "fly on the wall" to hear the sales guy and his boss discussing afterward when a likely customer walks out over some added fee or other shenanigans.

It would be fun to be the "fly on the wall" to hear the sales guy and his boss discussing afterward when a likely customer walks out over some added fee or other shenanigans.
"I hear you! We wanted to make $2,000 on the trade, and $1,000 on the sale, and he wants free floor mats or he's gone. They cost us $40. Tell him ok, but go take a leak or something so you don't come back for 15 minutes. Let them sweat it out. Just so it looks like he squeezed blood from stones when in fact we make $2,960 for twenty three minutes of work."

#1 ADM I may agree to pay list, but Ive never agreed to pay over list. I wont even sit at the bargaining table with ADM.

#2 The deal changing in the F&I room with enforced or mandatory add ons. IF the price changes in the F&I room - Im gone.

I never walk in or sit down unless I want to buy to begin with and cannot remember a time with the dealer team knew more about the vehicle they were selling than I did. My last 5 purchases concluded in under an hour.

Deal Breakers:
Any ADM
Blinking third brake light
Refusal to negotiate an OTD price
Salespeople who slam other brands yet know nothing about what they are selling

Asked to sit in a salesperson’s office while the deal is “discussed with sale’s manager”. Nope. Make the deal or I’m gone. The days of being left sitting while they go for coffee and cigarette is over.

On the back and forth - thing. I'll give that 1 shot.

It's 1 and done, or its a whole new deal and he's my ex sales guy.

"If you get up from this room and leave, and come back with anything other than a "yes" - I wont work with you anymore.
I'll only work with the guy that can actually make the deal, unless you come back with a yes you aren't my guy anymore.
Your boy has to go to work and stop hiding. Are we clear with one another? My time is at least as valuable as yours.

Typically I'll set the whole thing up on the phone before I walk in.
The leasing guy is often the 3 in one guy sales/manager/finance in one dude.

The instant I smell a rat, I'm out. I do not like salesmen.
Years ago, my wife wanted to look at this Saturn Relay, if I remember right. We're talking with the salesman and we go to his office to talk price. He starts up his computer and a picture of an AMC Rebel Machine lifting the front wheels off the line pops up. I said Oh cool, an AMC Rebel Machine. He says you know what that is? That one's mine. NOW... IF there were an AMC that could carry the wheels ANYWHERE on Long Island, I would know about it or I would certainly know someone that knows about it. I said no it isn't. Come on, Honey. Let's go.
I also hate it when they know nothing about the vehicles. Long time ago I wanted a Ford pickup back when they still came with the 300 six. The dealer sits me at this desk with this sales woman. Guess they figured I would just buy because she was cute. I asked if the six had roller lifters. She looked at me like a deer in headlights and went back to colors and interiors... I asked again. Listen, if you don't know, that's fine but ask someone who does. Left there too.

Deal breaker is adding in unwanted crap on every car as it comes off the truck and refusing to sell it without the ripoff. Tomball Ford is one such ripoff dealer I'll never buy from.

My last purchase was something I don't tolerate. A few months prior to visiting the dealership they gave me a salesman that had no clue what the car was about. Over email he was a real pushy jerk and everything he said was a lie. I quit all correspondence with him and unsubscribed.

So I visit unannounced and see the car I want and this young kid is my salesperson and he doesn't know much either but he was cordial and I already studied up on the car.

So we start to haggle the price and everything is going fine and the manager comes over and tells me since I talked to the jerk salesperson first they way it works now is I have to deal with him and makes the young kid get up from the desk.

I told the manager I don't want to deal with him as I don't like him and I cut all communication off with him prior.
The manager tries to push his agenda and I tell him I won't buy the car from him and I am walking. I told him I pick my salespeople and not you.

That ended that and I told the young kid if you get cheated out of the commission call me.

Same as many others mentioned; pushy, lying, or clueless salespeople.

Especially when we haggle and I ask for the price to be put on paper and they start acting all funny. Or when I say I will think about it as I have other cars to look at and they start lying just to keep me there.

No. I won't wait 20 minutes for you to check with your manager 4 times.

No. I won't pay random fees rolled in at the last minute.

Yes. I need paperwork on everything. The total price, interest rate, warranty, etc.

Yes. I understand most of the games and I know all the financial lingo. So please stop trying to confuse customers by BS'ing them with terms and lingo that you think only YOU understand. ( "because of interest rates the cap on residual value and the money factor has been revised and so the way we determine residual value/ money factor means our rates are beating industry standard. Let's go ahead and bump the monthly payment up to change that residual so in the end you save money. It's just how we like to do it here")

Or when the paperwork doesn't match the agreement that was made. "Oh wow I'm glad you caught that! Boy, in order to change this I would have to re-do all this paperwork and run it by so and so. That's going to take an hour or two. Are you sure this deal won't work for you? We can throw in car mats/free washes/similar for your troubles")

Deal Breaker for me: 10k mile oil change intervals.

UOA's with low wear metals are meaningless to me.
Engine cleanliness is all that matters to me.

I dont want an engine with dirty/stuck piston rings and sludge/varnish.

I look at the Carfax of a prospective used car I want to buy.
Often it lists the oil changes done at dealerships and national repair chains.

Ideally 4k to 5k oil change interval maximum.

Deal Breaker for me: 10k mile oil change intervals.

UOA's with low wear metals are meaningless to me.
Engine cleanliness is all that matters to me.

I dont want an engine with dirty/stuck piston rings and sludge/varnish.

I look at the Carfax of a prospective used car I want to buy.
Often it lists the oil changes done at dealerships and national repair chains.

Ideally 4k to 5k oil change interval maximum.
Makes sense but I fear quick lube places too...even most dealers...that requires me to get under the vehicle for an inspection...

True. The only thing I fear more than 10k oil changes is the quality of that super cheap no name bulk oil in the unlabelled drums that all dealerships, quick lube places, regular mechanics use.

The companies who sell that oil know lowest price and not quality is the deciding factor in the purchases.
Who knows what viscosity or API certifications it has, if any.

So even if someone does 5k OCI it could have a sludged up engine due to the bulk no name oil that was used.

I prefer to buy the full synthetic oil in the 5 quart jugs at Walmart so I know what type and viscosity of oil is going into my engines.

Last edited:
A car smoked in, corrosion from being in salt, any repaint. I can see wrong date codes on glass, not matching undercoating under a fender, lots.of pedal wear for too low miles. Dozens of things to look for. When I want a no salt no repaint car, and its all bs. I leave now
Thankfully it seems like fewer people are smoking in vehicles. But when I worked for an independent dealership we had a Chevrolet Volt that was on the lot forever. Whomever the previous owner was chain smoked in the car. Febreeze multiple steam cleaning, ozone machine you name it was used on it. Finally an older guy who i guess didn't have much of a sense of smell bought it. We practically gave it away.

The instant I smell a rat, I'm out. I do not like salesmen.
Years ago, my wife wanted to look at this Saturn Relay, if I remember right. We're talking with the salesman and we go to his office to talk price. He starts up his computer and a picture of an AMC Rebel Machine lifting the front wheels off the line pops up. I said Oh cool, an AMC Rebel Machine. He says you know what that is? That one's mine. NOW... IF there were an AMC that could carry the wheels ANYWHERE on Long Island, I would know about it or I would certainly know someone that knows about it. I said no it isn't. Come on, Honey. Let's go.
I also hate it when they know nothing about the vehicles. Long time ago I wanted a Ford pickup back when they still came with the 300 six. The dealer sits me at this desk with this sales woman. Guess they figured I would just buy because she was cute. I asked if the six had roller lifters. She looked at me like a deer in headlights and went back to colors and interiors... I asked again. Listen, if you don't know, that's fine but ask someone who does. Left there too.
I'm a big automotive fan and techical as all get out. Dealerships almost dislike people like that. From the sales aspect which i did for VW and Lexus 99.9999% of all car buyers today don't care about how the engine works or what type of transmission it has. I get it I do, most want to know how many ways the seats adjust will their phone pair how many usb ports it has etc.

True. The only thing I fear more than 10k oil changes is the quality of that super cheap no name bulk oil in the unlabelled drums that all dealerships, quick lube places, regular mechanics use.

The companies who sell that oil know lowest price and not quality is the deciding factor in the purchases.
Who knows what viscosity or API certifications it has, if any.

So even if someone does 5k OCI it could have a sludged up engine due to the bulk no name oil that was used.

I prefer to buy the full synthetic oil in the 5 quart jugs at Walmart so I know what type and viscosity of oil is going into my engines.

Actually most dealers use name brand oil in their bulk containers or bottled name brand oil. It’s the Indy’s that everyone acts like commit no sin that will buy the cheapest crap in a barrel and use it on all vehicles.

Used cars, In order:
-sloppy electrical work; bad butt splices w/ cheap connectors, no shrink tube on splices exposed to weather, rats nests of unsecured wires, etc., and all the above wrapped in miles of split loom.
-cheap tires, especially on a classic or sports car
-most owner mods outside of factory options

Used cars, In order:
-sloppy electrical work; bad butt splices w/ cheap connectors, no shrink tube on splices exposed to weather, rats nests of unsecured wires, etc., and all the above wrapped in miles of split loom.
-cheap tires, especially on a classic or sports car
-most owner mods outside of factory options
You forgot to mention zip ties fastening everything together by lazy mechanics.

Back