What’s the best apocalypse car?

Some sort of mechanical injection diesel. A large number of rural homes in upstate NY have hundreds of gallons for it.

It would be terrible to be in a post apocalyptic scenario and have your diesel derate to 5 MPH because it's out of urea

I'll stick with bicycle but if talking vehicles I'd say pre 1970 Chevy/GMC pickup. Something with points, carburetor and mechanical fuel pump. 4WD would be nice but would eat fuel. Raid the local parts store for spare oils, filters, plugs, points, carb kit, air filter, fuel filter, front wheel bearings/seals, grease, tire plug kit, foot operated air pump, u-joints, carb cleaner, battery and gas cans.

I saw a video discussing government overreach on newer models, where authorities could literally disable said vehicles remotely even though the vehicle is owned outright. It got me thinking, there are a lot of preppers out there, preppers presuming that civilization collapse is just around the corner. Suppose, hypothetically such a scenario came to pass. There would be two life threatening considerations: proliferation of violent crime and famine. If fuel scarcity was also an issue, what vehicle would be the ultimate apocalypse vehicle? Maybe a tank? But it’s fuel consumption is not good, and it needs multiple people to operate it. Maybe a hybrid vehicle? That would be difficult to fix if it breaks down.

What specific model car would be the best suited for being the last man standing in an apocalypse? Maybe a getaway vehicle would be a good way to put it. Getaway from a hunkered down situation.
An IDI 6.9 or 7.3 F250. Non turbo, diesel, mechanical fuel injection and 4x4

W123 240D or 300D. Everything is mechanicaly controlled. Can run on anything, diesel, kerosene, vegetable oil used or new, used engine oil and ATF etc. Also, diesel can be stored for way longer than gas. A manual transmission one can be started without even having an electrical system in the car.
As a former W123 owner, I agree. My manual 240D would run through the apocalypse, no problem. Mechanical fuel pump. Clutch. Run forever. check.

For the preppers, however, have you ever seen the shuffling zombies in a movie, slowly approach the protagonist?

Yeah, well, with 67 HP on tap, when new, and a zero to 60 time in the mid 20s, it moves out like those shuffling zombies.

So, “getaway” in the sense that it’s faster than walking, but it will be a leisurely, casual getaway…

This;

landmaster.jpg

late '70s (pre TBI/CFI, computers) i6 w/ele motor in back. Dual fules seem wise (photovoltaic roof). Possibly a ford falcon (wagon, econovan) or bronco

Pre 1974 F150. I appears 74 was the first year ford used an archaic computer in the vehicle so if there was to be an EMP or part failure, this can't be easily fixed.

1973_ford_f-100-pic-15737-1600x1200.jpeg

The smallest 4x4 SUV that is still body on frame with long range transfer case select.
Powerful enough to push other cars out of the way in a pinch.
Reliable+ tough

I nominate Nissan Xterra 4x4.

So you want a 5th gen 4Runner, like mine. That's exactly what I would pick.

#30 - you could take a handfull of GM 4 pins. Once the ford DSI/DSII failed ("...used an archaic computer in the vehicle so if there was to be an EMP or part failure, this can't be easily fixed....") pretty simple to wire one in the same place (excellent hybrid system used on race tracks). May B a camper on the back? Photovotaic on roof? Ele motor for rear wheel drive (chain back)?

Solar powered Tesla. Recharging the main batteries may take 300 business days, but solar trickle charge should at least provide enough power for HVAC. Park it away from civilization and use as air-conditioned shelter at night. Hunt around while it charges during the day. Old Tesla roadster supposedly isn't as easily wirelessly controlled, but good luck finding one.

Can't count on there being sufficient sunshine. Nuclear winter seems like a good prelude to the apocalypse. If there's not enough sunshine even in summer to get the temps reliable above freezing, I doubt you'll get much charging done.

As a former W123 owner, I agree. My manual 240D would run through the apocalypse, no problem. Mechanical fuel pump. Clutch. Run forever. check.

For the preppers, however, have you ever seen the shuffling zombies in a movie, slowly approach the protagonist?

Yeah, well, with 67 HP on tap, when new, and a zero to 60 time in the mid 20s, it moves out like those shuffling zombies.

So, “getaway” in the sense that it’s faster than walking, but it will be a leisurely, casual getaway…

And they'd better not be chasing you as you run to the car, with the glowplugs needing time to get a cold engine started.

That was my thought too. Everything else needs some sort of infrastructure. Not that a horse is perfect, but unless if you have to escape and quickly, I’m not sure how any other vehicle will somehow keep going.

If I had to pick an actual vehicle, IDI diesel, or any low compression carb vehicle. Not that either is multi fuel, but they tend to be less picky.Might not run right, but might run well enough.

I believe some of the flatheads could have an additional head gasket added so as kill compression so as to run on kerosene?

Mercedes G-Wagon diesel 5-speed 4WD, preferably a 300GD. Bullet proof and rugged. These things will run for over 500k miles with minimal maintenance. Additionally, the W460 (1979-1992) was a very simple vehicle.

Back