What was first synthetic oil you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I do not know if it qualified as synthetic, but I used ARCO Graphite in the late 1970's.

chunky or smooth?

Mobil 1 back around late 70's.
Tried it in my GTO. The engine was only a few months on a fresh rebuild. I remember having my GF shut the engine off when I was under the hood working on it and it sounded like water dripping down in the engine. I drained it and went back to conventional oil next day as that sound worried me. Couple weeks after that I installed a new oil pressure gauge so never did get the pressure when the Mobil 1 was in it at the time. I also remember the six-pak was a pain, to me.

My first synthetic ever tried was a company called Conklin. They would hold meetings where they would drain the oil out of their pickup and drive it around a bit and come back showing how it still runs. They did that one Too many times and spun a bearing. Lol

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Castrol Syntec in a 1990 Toyota 4Runner 3.slow back in the early 90's. Loved the hex cap.

+1 on the Castrol Syntex.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula. (new-to-the-family turbocharged car required it).

Same here...started buying the same stuff when the Saabs came along.

Probably Mobil 1 in the late 2000's. I just bought whatever my grandpa told me to get for the Pontiac and it was either that or MaxLife that I would use.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Mobil 1 5W30 when they advertised it as "Tri-Synthetic".

This. In 1998 after I blew a starter in my mazda 323 when it was -7'F running whatever sludgy 10w30 the corner garage put in. It came in those cool square-ish bottles.

Now I'm not saying it was totally the oil's fault, but I roll started the car and almost locked the tires in 2nd gear-- the engine was tight!

Fully "synthetic"? - Meijer 5w20, in early 2014 (had purchased it on sale a year or more before, for my previous car)

If you count synthetic blends, then Maxlife 10w30 back around 2005/6

Vanilla Castrol EDGE gold bottle. Took it to 17k per OLM. The poor e39 was hating life...

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 5-20 starting in 1978 in a Dodge Slant 6 engine.

Synthetic in a slant 6 motor? some call that an "overimprovement"!! LOL

But hey, I had several slant 6 engines, ran one to 230,000 miles, then the engine started to 'groan' loudly!! Turns out main bearings were bottoming out due to wear (excessive clearance) oil would pee into the crankcase instead of floating the crank. Solution? run heavy 20W50 oil winter 'n summer for another 2 yrs!!

The good old days!

I was one of those who started slow..

Tried some Valvoline Durablend 5w30 in my new s10 back in 2000....

And when my wife's car hit 6k in 2003, Mobil 1 5w30 went in there and pretty much stayed in the sump until I found this place back 7 years ago or so...

How I find it interesting yet again that I am now running M1 0w30 in my Cobalt....seems like I always somehow go back to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back