What was first synthetic oil you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 5-20 starting in 1978 in a Dodge Slant 6 engine.

My first car in 1986 was a 1979 Plymouth Volare with the Slant 6. OMG, that engine cooked oil but I kept it filled. Definately wasn't a candidate for synthetic.

Amzoil in I thinks the 70's. Put it in an oil burning Vega. cut the consumption in 1/2, but in the days of 50cent /qt oil, $5 per quart Amzoil was way to expensive, so changed back to regular dino, and the consumption doubled again. Have never used Amzoil since. But I use syn and semi syn all the time. misc. brands.

Prolly a Bel-Ray motorcycle oil for 2-stroke racing sometime in the latter 1970's. I bought a lot of Bel-Ray products because they generally worked as advertised and that could not be said for much of the market.

Somewhere in the late 1970's we started fooling around with Motul 300V for 4 stroke racing engines
laugh.gif

Amoco Ultimate purchased at K-Mart in the late 80s....SG rated...I still have a couple of quarts in my collection.

Around 1975 in my Honda trail 70 ...I quickly learned of M1's magical properties to extend life for $3.99/qt when other oils were $.49/qt

Last edited:
1967, at Sherman Field , Naval Air Station,,we put it in our support equipment that had v-8 engines, was in a red can I think, mixed it right in with the 30wgt oil,,worked great and we did not know any better,,hey ,if you need oil....same stuff they used on the jets,,who knew...

In 1990 or so, I bought some Slick 50 branded syn from Odd Lots.
It came in some sort of packaging containing four individual quarts, perfect for the then 90K or so '86 Civic I used it in. This was a PAO oil, as I later learned and did not contain the widely discredited Slick 50 additive. The price must have been good since I ran a coupe of changes of this oil.
I then decided that synthetic was what I should use and I did after that up through the 200K+ we ran this car that we had bought new.
Was there any advantage then and is there any now?
I'd like to think so but honestly don't know.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
1967, at Sherman Field , Naval Air Station,,we put it in our support equipment that had v-8 engines, was in a red can I think, mixed it right in with the 30wgt oil,,worked great and we did not know any better,,hey ,if you need oil....same stuff they used on the jets,,who knew...

That's how AmsOil got started. Mixing Jet oil with over the road lubricants
laugh.gif

Started using Mobil 1 and Delvac 1 back in the early 1980's. Not absolutely sure which. Might have been Delvac though. Have used M1 ever since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back